Bringing deer accross Mich/Ont border

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

Bringing deer accross Mich/Ont border

Post by one shot scott »

A good friend and I are going to be going to the Michigan LP in a few weeks and I was hoping to hear from others who have experience bring deer back to Ont. He has called the Can border and the MNR and had conflicting info.

Does the deer need to be processed, and is bringing antlers/cape back ok? border says yes as long as we have a Michigan license. MNR says nein. no cape antlers or skin.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Boo

Re: Bringing deer accross Mich/Ont border

Post by Boo »

I know of 2 people charged and convicted 2 yrs ago. Unless the idiots at MNR have changed the rules, its no head, no spine, no hide. Best to call the MNR.
The feds said no problem but the border guards report what they see to the MNR.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I have hunted Michigan the last 4 years. As Don said. No hide,no hooves,no Spinal matter,no heads. A finished mount or euro mount is ok. Quarters or de boned meat is ok.. I hope your not using firearms? Archery gear is no problem..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

The border guards report what they see Don?! When he spoke to the border they were fine with it. I have serious issue if they turn around and report it coming thru. What kind of nonsense is that?? We shall play by the rules of the MNR I guess. Not looking for any fines!

Should a decent buck be taken I guess we would have the taxi done in Michigan, or like you say a euro mount BRCBH. And meat will be de-boned. we are doing archery. I will be taking my apa compound and 2 excals. I think I'm over-bowing myself :lol:

thank ya both for your input
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:I have hunted Michigan the last 4 years. As Don said. No hide,no hooves,no Spinal matter,no heads. A finished mount or euro mount is ok. Quarters or de boned meat is ok.. I hope your not using firearms? Archery gear is no problem..
Blackpowder firearms are not regulated, they don't recognize them as firearms and you don't need the import permit.

As said, debone the meat and you're good. I have brought whole deer back before and the guards never batted an eye but I don't do that anymore.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

If you skull cap out the rack and remove all meat you are good with rack. All you need to do with cape if wish to mount is find good taxidermist in Michigan that will get cape wet tanned for you. Once tanned you are good to bring home. Processed meat good to go as well. If you had to you could debone it and take freezer paper - cut and wrap and mark each package and you should be fine.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

All good info, thanks to all for your input
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

This is from the most rescent reg I could find. If you want to bring in the cape and antlers to mount I believe that 4.2 (2) (d) and (3) (a) and (b) are of interest.

Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997
Loi de 1997 sur la protection du poisson et de la faune
ONTARIO REGULATION 666/98
POSSESSION, BUYING AND SELLING OF WILDLIFE

PART II.1
REGULATING POSSESSION OF CERVIDS TO PREVENT CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE
4.1 This Part applies to cervids that are killed outside Ontario and transported into Ontario. O. Reg. 561/05, s. 2.
4.2 (1) A person shall not possess in Ontario the whole or any part of the antlers, head, brain, eyes, tonsils, hide, hooves, lymph nodes, spleen, mammary glands, entrails, internal organs or spinal column of a cervid that has been killed outside Ontario. O. Reg. 561/05, s. 2.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who possesses,
(a) finished taxidermy mounts;
(b) tanned skin;
(c) canine teeth with no tissue attached; or
(d) antlers or a skull cap with antlers attached, as long as there is no tissue or skin attached to them and they are separate from the skull. O. Reg. 561/05, s. 2.
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who possesses a hide or the skin of the head if,
(a) it is kept in a container from which nothing can escape until it is processed by a tanner or taxidermist and all other tissue has been removed; and
(b) the person delivers the hide or skin of the head to a tanner or taxidermist for processing within five days of it coming into Ontario. O. Reg. 561/05, s. 2.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Sounds like more trouble than its worth ill just keep hunting in peoples backyards n my little woodlots . Never dealt with border agents but had a soccer mom in a dodge caravan call me a bambi killer and to get a life instead of playing rambo!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

thanks timbhunter! section 3 is of great interest. If I read correctly (perhaps I'm not, currently I am very sleep deprived)

will havwe to read it again when I'm awake.lol but thanks for the post.

Joe: was she at least hot?
up nord in Cannader we have hockey moms. They are all hot. Well maybe not all of em but a very health % are.
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I have hunted in northwestern PA for 40 years and since they put the new regulations in a few years back,you are not allowed to bring a deer back whole.
Since that time,we butcher the deer up before bringing it back.
Don has it spelled out correctly in that you cannot bring horns,hide and spine back.
We found that doing a deer up fresh definitely makes for an inferior quality of meat so this year,assuming that we get at least one,we intend to hang it for at least a week unskinned and then go back and do the butchering on site.
If you want to hunt with a rifle,you need to register your guns with the Bureau of Alcohol and Firearms and fill in a Non Resident Alien form (5330) with details of what you intend to bring across.(of course you need a non resident tag too!)
Muzzleloaders and crossbows just need to be declared that you have them in your possession on your way in and on the way back.
Bob Vandrish.
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

Bob, sorry but you are incorrect in your statement. You can bring horns and hide back - it's right in regulations posted above your post. Antlers with skull cap can be brought back as long as all hair, skin and meat are removed - this can be done easily on tailgate with sharp knife and a meat/bone saw. Hide once tanned is ok. The section that covers exceptions for sealed containers gets messy as it's my understanding they will put seals on that container if it's acceptable and then Agriculture Canada mandates it can only be opened by specific taxidermists approved by them to ensure all correct rules are complied with. It's easier to have a US taxidermist tan the cape if you want head mounted and then ship it to you which is legal. Myself, I would just get my taxidermist here to find another cape as they are readily available and much less trouble in this case.
As for gun permit - it's called a Form 6 - document number 5330 - available free through BATF website - takes about a week to get it if sent electronically which is now the only way they will accept it. The requirement to have a US license in advance has been dropped - not mandatory but if you have a copy of it I'd send it along.
Boo

Post by Boo »

https://www.ontario.ca/page/chronic-wasting-disease

Detailed regulations related to transporting animal body parts are in Section 4 of Ontario Regulation 666/98. Key regulations include:

tanned skin, taxidermy mounts and teeth with no tissue attached are permitted
raw hides, antlers and head skin are permitted if kept in a sealed container. The parts must be clean of all other tissue and taken to a tanner or taxidermist within 5 days of returning to Ontario
parts must be disposed of at an authorized waste disposal site
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Sorry fellas!
I sort of glossed over the regs to deal with the return of deer parts.
I knew that you could take items to a taxidermist anywhere to prepare the horns and hide if someone wants to bring them back to Ontario.
If that has changed,I was not aware of this.
I have two deer heads that were prepared in PA, and left at my cabin for my own personal admiration!
I must admit that I have not read of any possible recent changes to the form 5330 as I have always faxed in my application and a copy of the PA deer tag.
That policy has applied since 9/11.
As a matter of fact,this year they wanted more details on the specific type of bullet as my initial application was returned to fill in those particulars.
(150 grain soft point as an example!)
I will stick to my guns about the fresh cut deer meat though-it is not as good as aged venison.
Good to see that someone read my posting!
LOL!!
Bob Vandrish.
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

110% agree Bob on some hanging time on the meat. Just an FYI - I faxed a Form 6 through to BATF about 2 months back and they returned the fax and said send it via email/scan for faster service.