Is the ten point Omni nock safe to shoot?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Riflemanz

Is the ten point Omni nock safe to shoot?

Post by Riflemanz »

Is the Omni nock ok to shoot out of a Excalibur bow?
It's made by ten point?
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
tomcat

Re: Is the ten point Omni nock safe to shoot?

Post by tomcat »

I've shot them side by side against flat nocks and although I didn't have any issues with them. POI was marginally different than the same arrows with Flat Nocks.
IIRC the diff was 2-3"@50yds and the groups were not near as good.
FWIW, I came up with the exact same results in a Tenpoint Titan, so it's definitely not an Excal vs Omni issue.

I personally believe that the notches require indexing and of course introduces another variation from arrow to arrow.

Tenpoint knows flat nocks are the best, but needed a solution to accommodate the narrow limbed & long railed bows with acute string angles they keep pumping out to keep the string in contact with the nock. I suppose if you were to build your own and "index" them exactly identical to each other, I think they would have the potential for shooting just as well, but I'm confident that the POI would still be slightly different. Factory/mass produced Omni-nocked arrows simply introduce another variable into the equation that inherently results in less consistency out of the package than an equivalent flat nocked arrows.

I've personally had this argument with Tenpoint staff members(right down the road from me) when they first came out and that is why I wasted my time investigating this when I was told that " they fly the same".
IMHO...uhh no they don't

If you have a bow with extreme string angles, then by all means use what you have to...IF you own an Excal, you have NO reason to choose them unless that's all that's available in a pinch and I would definitely use them over moon nocks given the choice. If I had the time, I'd personally change them out with flat nocks or even inserts, but if I didn't have time, I'd have no problem borrowing an Omni-nocked arrow to hunt with out to 50yds even though my bow is sighted in with Flat Nocks. In fact I've done this. I forgot my quiver once and instead of driving home I borrowed one of my brother in laws Omni nocked Tenpoint Pro-Elite 's (which are close to weight of my current 425 grn setup) and killed a large doe at 40 yds 2 years ago. The arrow went right where I pointed it(which might've been coincidence) so I've come to learn that 2-3"@50 yds difference is only critical when shooting targets and obsessing over the small stuff.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Thanks for the info!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Bones

Post by Bones »

Same as tomcat said . My tenpoint certainly prefer's moon's over the omni's at 50 plus yd's . My excal shoot's them fine, but again the flat's out perform them from that bow time and time again at extended ranges.IMO omni's are just a gimmick. Not sold on them what so ever.
Barrie