Motivation Problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Motivation Problem

Post by TheBig1 »

For some reason I've been plagued by a lack of motivation. I've never been a morning person and will never contend to be, but this year I've had absolutely NO motivation to be getting up early to hunt. I think that in our month and a half archery season that I did it once.

All of this even though I've got a monster on my trail cam and at least two little bucks on camera for the kids. I just don't know what's wrong with me. I've spent too much money in the past year and a half upgrading my equipment and buying stuff that I really don't need to not use it.

Talked to my dad the other day, who is also an accomplished outdoorsman, he said that there came a time for him where he just wasn't motivated any longer. I remember my first year of hunting, after I shot my first deer, my dad told me that I should feel very blessed because there are men out there in their 30's and 40's who have never shot a deer. I took that to heart and was very blessed every single year that I'd hunted, no matter what it was. It's come to a point where it doesn't bother me to not be successful, or to let a deer walk. I've harvested enough game in my day to most certainly be considered blessed.

But I want that feeling and motivation back. All I do is think about hunting and strategies to go about doing it. It's just come the night prior to my hunt, I begin to feel the feeling of, "I do not want to wake up at stupid o'clock in the morning." I just don't know what I have to do to get motivated.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
paulaboutform

Re: Motivation Problem

Post by paulaboutform »

Hmmm, I say get off your butt and force yourself to get out there! Just like getting to the gymn at four a.m., the toughest part is getting there....except leg days, they're the worst. Lol. If, once you're out there, it's just not fun anymore or you have no more excitement seeing the deer coming in......not good. If my heart stopped racing and my adrenaline stopped pumping I think I'd be done. Unless there are external factors affecting your life, that's a game changer and time to go have a talk with your doctor and explain what's happening. That's what I'd do anyway. Good luck and hang in there. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, what Paul said. Additionally, how are you feeling otherwise? I had a few health issues come about a few years back, and went through something similar. Also, are you feeling like other activities are piling up on you? The mind does crazy stuff to us. I also say this, if you have a spot that you can slip into without interrupting other hunters at say 8:15 am, don't be afraid to try that. Lot of late morning deer hunts have been successful.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I have the opposite problem. I am over motivated to hunt. Unfortunately I am tagged out so all I have is this forum to keep me sane...lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

:D :D :D
Last edited by papabear1 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Hay keep on stroken my friend, I started hunting at 22 and 74 now and I still keep a goen don,t hunt every morn because I have chores in the am but get out every eve that I can . I will probley die of a hartatack dragen out a deer, and I would be a happy fellow. keep on goen if you lose the spark there will be no flame. :D
W.M.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

W.Miguire wrote:Hay keep on stroken my friend, I started hunting at 22 and 74 now and I still keep a goen don,t hunt every morn because I have chores in the am but get out every eve that I can . I will probley die of a hartatack dragen out a deer, and I would be a happy fellow. keep on goen if you lose the spark there will be no flame. :D
W.M.
:wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Hey Big1,
I am sitting here missing the entire hunting season due to having quadruple bypass surgery on October 7th......I am living vicariously through all of you guys and dreaming that I was out in my stand.....so get your butt out there and shoot something.....and take pictures......for me........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Ray and WM, thanks for the motivation. You're all right in what you're all saying.

BelleRiver, I feel for you Brother, I've been there. That's why I picked up predator hunting. You might want to give it a thought.

Reiney, I wish you well Brother and am ashamed at my lack of motivation when there's those who wish that they could but can't.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I jus don't knowed what to say to you about this very sad thing! :( My Pa used to get me up at 3am grab a cuppa n load his Hounds n off we went. He was in the Navy in Astoria, Oregon n we were goin Bear Huntin. We went alot n he would hold my hand as we crossed those ice cold rivers n i would be wet up to my neck n cold as ! :) I was motivated n thrilled when my Pa killed bayed blk Bears wid those hounds. I was 6 yrs old, he weren't much on deer huntin but i am. That was in 1956-57 n on til we moved down to Northern Calif. I am up early every mornin, have the pot on n thinkin what stand whats the wind gonna do. I do get down on long periods of not seein any deer like week 2 weeks n so on. I knowed that there will be one or more that come its jus a matter of time n me bein there. A very hungry stomach provides lots of motivation! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Just get out there whenever you feel good about it. If it's 9 a.m. til noon, 1 pm til 4; whatever. This is supposed to be fun. You may be surprised to see a deer when you least expect one. Just get out there and enjoy.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

TheBig1 wrote:Ray and WM, thanks for the motivation. You're all right in what you're all saying.

BelleRiver, I feel for you Brother, I've been there. That's why I picked up predator hunting. You might want to give it a thought.

Reiney, I wish you well Brother and am ashamed at my lack of motivation when there's those who wish that they could but can't.
No worries man. I am not much of a morning person either. If I am on a week long hunting trip I will hunt mornings and afternoons. By the end of the week it gets really hard to get up. Unless we fill our tags early then it's party time...:)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I hate getting up at early o clock too ...thats why on Saturdays l come home at noon n sleep 2 hours n lm out again. I mostly hunt evenings after work.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Are your stands in the same places they have been in for years?
Maybe have the challenge of finding a new property with a different view?

Ya gotta change stuff around or it becomes the same old. I know that if I move my stand to a new promising location that its hard not getting excited to hunt it.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-