Can I use the old string yes or no?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Troubleshooter

Can I use the old string yes or no?

Post by Troubleshooter »

A few months ago I broke my left limb-tip. I've got 2 new limbs from Excalibur and I wonder if I can use my old string yes or no.

Please look to the following things: (See photos)
1. The difference of the loop (length) between a new string & the old string.
2. Is the old string looking good enough - looking to damage.
3. The difference in lenght between both loops on the old string.

Foto 1:
new string: 3.5 cm = 1,4 inch &
one side of the old string = 4,0 cm = 1,6 inch
(0.2 inch difference between the old & new string)

Foto 2:
New string: 3,5 cm = 1,4 inch &
other side of the old string = 4,5 cm = 1,8 inch
(0,4 inch difference between the old & new string)

Photo 3:
Both loops of the old string.
One side = 1,6 inch & other side = 1,8 inch

Thanks for helping!
8ptbuk

Re: Can I use the old string yes or no?

Post by 8ptbuk »

I would discard the old string , If a loops get to big , It can possibly jump off the limb tip and damage your Xbow . JMO
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

The string is without question, toast. Regardless of what you measure, once a limb gets jammed through a loop, the string should not be reused.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Troubleshooter

Post by Troubleshooter »

Thank you very much for helping, 8ptbuk and Boo!

I will use my new string on the bow.

The problem is: my old string is used for one year and between 500 - 700 shots.
Personally, I find this very quickly to change a string allready. (or is this normal?)

Some people on the forum said that the reason for having a broken limb tip is having a to big loop on your string.
(I wonder where the 'line' is of changing a string? / How big does this loop goes, before you have to change this?)

I asked this question (about a to big loop) to Excalibur and they answered that it just happens occasionally (broken limbtip), but they didn't say a thing about a to large loop beïng a (possible) cause.

And if they (Excalibur) not speaking about this (big loop as beïng a possible cause), than it gets confusing to me...
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Interesting ! The thing for me is I have a micro I bought last december. I don't shoot it much and if you looked at my string compared to a new one it looks just like the one you post from the broken limb tip. On my old exomax the loops did not have a serving like the micro. I find that I liked this because I don't know who does excaliburs servings but they are terrible. I always had trouble with the serving on the string where you put the nock on my exomax and now I see that my serving on my micro is also coming apart both on the string middle and the loops. Lucky for me I have been archery hunting for years and have all the stuff to reserve my strings. I thought about getting an after market string and sent an email to a guy that makes them but never got a response after 2 years so thinking about just ordering some string and doing my own again. I don't know about using your string again but it doesn't look any different than mine and I seriously can't believe I would need to replace it already.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Big loops damaging the tips is a very old story. When the loop is too big, the loop wants to push against the flange of the limb tip rather than sit in the groove. The flange then tears off, taking a chuck of limb tip with it.
To be fair to Excalibur's string maker, when you're serving a new string, you're laying the serving over wax laden string material which eventually oozes away, leaving the serving not as tight as it starred. So it's easier to get a better serving the second time. I know that Excalibur's string maker uses a proportion of string material without wax to reduce serving issues. I'll speak to him and suggest he uses more string material with no wax. There's a fine line somewhere. A string with absolutely no wax under the serving won't last long at all.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I shot bows for years and never had a serving fall apart like the excals do I just never worried about it because I could reserve it myself. With the string loop I just twisted them to make them smaller but with the served loop I haven't tried to do that not sure if you can .oh and thanks the response boo I think u may be the guy I sent an email to do u no longer make strings ?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Timbrhuntr wrote: I think u may be the guy I sent an email to do u no longer make strings ?
I'm still making strings, just not taking orders for 40 strand custom strings at this time. I am making 30 strand Force 10 strings with a 4 week + turn around time. I own and operate a shop with 5 techs repairing BMWs in Toronto. So being hunting season, a busy time of the year for the shop and just moving into a new home build on farm land a year ago, I'm slow in making strings. But, I am still making strings when I have time.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

To be honest anytime you get 300 + shots on a string thats good. These newer models have alot of poundage in the limbs. They stress it too, you may feel thats a short lifespan but think how much force those limbs tips catch when fired. So it goes the string loops catch it too. Factory strings n their servins, its alot to expect when the string isn't pre-stretched to hold up once those strands start to creep along. You keep settin the brace ht to slow it down, but the wax keeps movin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I doubt I have 100 shots on this string and the servings on all my exo max came apart well under 100 shots my compound has well over 500 shots and servings are all fine. And it's a bowtech lol.
I thought it might be u I figured no answer after 2 years u were out of business but I guess just to busy to bother .
Boo

Post by Boo »

Timbrhuntr wrote:I doubt I have 100 shots on this string and the servings on all my exo max came apart well under 100 shots my compound has well over 500 shots and servings are all fine. And it's a bowtech lol.
I thought it might be u I figured no answer after 2 years u were out of business but I guess just to busy to bother .
No one's perfect and certainly not me. So I apologize for not answering you email. Send me an email and refer to this thread and we will talk. Assuming your latches aren't rough, any one of my strings will easily surpass 100 shots.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... +volunteer
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

That's true I'm far from being perfect myself ! I guess I was a bit ticked off that u couldn't bother to answer but shouldn't have polluted this thread with my bias. I should have just let it ride thanks for the offer I'm over it now and actually kinda sorry for bringing it up.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Timbrhuntr wrote:That's true I'm far from being perfect myself ! I guess I was a bit ticked off that u couldn't bother to answer but shouldn't have polluted this thread with my bias. I should have just let it ride thanks for the offer I'm over it now and actually kinda sorry for bringing it up.
I can assure you that it wasn't a case of not bothering. Just a case of old age brain fart. My apologies once again. I get a surprising number of emails daily and just can't seem to keep up as well as I used to. Don't be sorry, it is what it is.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I can assure you Boo isn't the only old fart that has senior moments. You pm me what model n i will get you a string to test, n you can talk to boo about an order :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Troubleshooter

Post by Troubleshooter »

Well, there goes my topic :cry: