Another Ramcat question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sloppy Does

Another Ramcat question

Post by Sloppy Does »

You guys that shoot the Ramcats are the 1 1/2 as accurate as the 1 3/8's ones. And do you know if there is a difference between the regular and crossbow version or is it just marketing. Thanks
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
Normous

Re: Another Ramcat question

Post by Normous »

I don't want to rain on your interest on the Ramcat but I was not impressed by them on our boar hunt recently after seeing Paul easily bend a blade inserting it into his quiver, I believe the blade came against the quiver protection hood during inserting and bent noticeably.
Last edited by Normous on Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
rein1

Post by rein1 »

:(
Normous wrote:I don't want to rain on your interest on the Ramcat but I was impressed buy them on our boar hunt recently after seeing Paul easily bend a blade inserting it into his quiver, I believe the blade came against the quiver protection hood during inserting and bent noticeably.
Does this make the ram cat bad ????? Yes you need to pay attention when you put the bolts into your quiver... The problem being the quiver hood is a bit small
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

All ramcat models flew just as accurate as the others for me and they are killers no dought but along with norm i agree the blades are chinsy chineese steel. ( the blades were very sharp ill give them that)
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Sloppy Does

Post by Sloppy Does »

Is there a difference in the crossbow version and the standard. Which one do you Ramcat guys shoot?
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
kawaboy-zx11

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

i think the only difference is the crossbow ones use larger washers... not positive but i think i read that...but i only use the standard ones, i love the ramcats, i tried several mechanicals but all brands i tried (NAP, Rocket,Rage) broke on my 3-d deer target, from the blades slamming open. i have 1 ramcat i have shot over 50 times in the same target and its still fine. i will continue to use ramcats as long as i can get them (i have about 50 stashed away). i shot 2 does with them so far this year and neither deer went far and blood trails were AWESOME, better than the rocket steelhead XL's i used to shoot from my vertical bows.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have only shot the 125 grain versions, but they are deadly accurate. And right from the owners mouth - "crossbow versions" are just marketing there is no difference.

Norm,
I hear you but it seems to me it would take a good bit of force to bend the tip of that blade. If mine get bent it takes set of pliers to straighten them. But I agree. That is the weak point. The blades are on the thin side. But they fly really well and leave a BIG hole and my blood trails have been tremendous. FWIW every one that I have recovered that have passed through animals was fine. A bent blade here or there that I tossed, but the others were re-sharpened and are back on arrows. And during the season I only shoot real BHs at my Rinehart, and these do fine in and out of that target. No bent blades or anything. Still I think they could be improved with a thicker blade with a less pointy back end.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Just to add my .02 I have shot both the 100 & 125 they both fly great. I'm currently using the 100gr head with 125gr blades to achieve the 11/2" cut and they fly with the same POI as the reg. 100gr head out to 40yds. I do agree you need to be careful when placing inside your Excalibur quiver as they are tight. I have also shot their new head the 100gr. diamond back which also fly great but I prefer the back cut pivot of the standard blade.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Just an FWI, it was my blade tip that bent from putting it in the quiver while on the Russian Boar hunt. The thing is, I was being VERY careful and the arrow was not inserted completely into the quiver hood. I was actually very surprised at how easily the blade bent. I'd still like to try it out on an animal but honestly can't be bothered to orient my blades while building my arrows just to clear the stirrup. The RamCat blades were oriented correctly on one out of my six hunting arrows. I agree with nchunter that they'd do well to have thicker, tougher blades.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Paul,
Do the blades not clear your stirrup? Mine all do regardless of orientation on my Micro. (Stirrup is not wrapped) Is the rail to stirrup distance different on some models?

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

nchunterkw wrote:Paul,
Do the blades not clear your stirrup? Mine all do regardless of orientation on my Micro. (Stirrup is not wrapped) Is the rail to stirrup distance different on some models?

Keith
Hi Keith, my stirrup has been sprayed with rhinoliner and the 1.5" cut 125gr do not clear my stirrup except for the 12, 5, 7 blades orientation. The spray isn't very thick but still contacts. Norm's untouched micro rail cleared regardless of blade orientation. The RamCats also wouldn't clear my Dr Stirrup setup. I heated the Dr Stirrup arrow protector and spread it wide open and there still isn't enough room.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Thanks Paul that's good to know. Yes, the clearance on my Micro is very close when a blade is down but so far I've had no issues. I've been orienting my fletching based on spine of the arrow, but now with the 16" Zombie's I shoot I'm not sure it matters that much anymore. After the season I'll refletch some to orient the blades for max clearance and see if I take an accuracy hit. Then on the next set I make, I'll check spine, screw a RamCat into an insert and mark it, then glue it in appropriately so I have max clearance and spine matching. Hard to think I will make major accuracy improvements at 40yds (about all I shoot) but it's a "best practices" type of effort.

This all got me thinking......what would happen if a blade was slightly loose and hung down a bit from the fully back position? I think it might hit the stirrup. Of course it would fold back easily but it still may affect flight. I've had 1 shot this year that didn't hit as intended and it's been bugging me.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
acreek

Post by acreek »

Whenever someone says they saw a broadhead perform horribly or witnessed the blades bending at the touch of a tissue, I wonder where that particular package of heads was bought. Because if it was bought off eBay or Amazon there is a good chance they bought Chinese fakes that won't perform as good as the originals.

I have shot 100 grain Ramcats successfully and found them to be both accurate and durable. I shot my 2016 buck with a Ramcat. The head passed through the ribs and stuck in the ground 6-8 inches deep. It was only an 18 yard shot so there was a good bit of speed at impact (deer and the ground). After cleaning the head up and working it with my sharpening stone, one can't tell that head apart from any of the others in the quiver.
Sloppy Does

Post by Sloppy Does »

Are you shooting the 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 ? How do they fly for you?
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75

Post by newbie »

double post
Last edited by newbie on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!