Why did you buy an X-bow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wolfkrieg

Why did you buy an X-bow?

Post by Wolfkrieg »

Hey guys & gals,

I was just curious what everyone's motivation for buying their first crossbow was. Do most people find themselves getting into crossbows to extend their hunting season/hunting territory and therefore odds of harvesting. Or are you genuinely infatuated with bow hunting in general and prefer it over high powered rifles.

Wolf
BrotherRon

Re: Why did you buy an X-bow?

Post by BrotherRon »

Couldn't draw my bow back anymore in the cold weather with my shoulders giving me problems.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

well, for me it was my shoulders.. i am a decent sized guy ( 6'2" and 245lbs) and never had any issues before drawing high poundage bows and holding steady for a good while.. but 6 years ago i had major surgery on my left shoulder to repair damage from multiple posterior dislocations... got a crossbow right away, hunted for a few years with it and was very successful... nothing against crossbows at all, i love shooting them, but i missed shooting my compound... so i sold my xbow to my dad and purchased a compound... big mistake... loved to shoot it and could draw it easily, but couldn't hold at full draw for more than 5 seconds before getting shakes and muscle pain... young and bullheaded decision but had to resort to the xbow again... so i sold it and got an axiom smf... lighter pull then i wanted , but it wasn't for me... it's my boys... i bought it knowing it's a lighter draw weight and he can draw it easier ... he just turned 13 and has his apprentice license... told him once he is a fully registered hunter it is his no questions asked... lucky bugger... also has a hang on stand i game him and possibly a climber once i find out if he can climb in it...lol.. to me it isn't about longbow, crossbow, compound, etc... to me it's about what you can ethically and comfortably harvest your game with... that is all that matters...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

For me it was the progression of MS could not draw the legal wt. bow back any more . Had to stop archery hunting for several years before the crossbow permit was approved for disabled hunters before you had to be a para to get one .
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

There is two reasons for me when I decided to go to the crossbow. One was my shoulder and that age thing creeping up on all of us. The second is that I love winter bow hunting and it is tough with the vegetation gone and the cold. When pulling back bow in the very cold it does make a little noice and them radar ears of the Whitetail pick it up. Plus they have been shot at all season and they do look up into thr trees. Also I liked the Excalibur Crossbow. I still shoot my compound every once and a while. But I'm hooked on my Excaliburs. Mostly all the guys I hunt with have switched over for similar reasons too.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Fell out of a tree and broke my neck and busted my right shoulder up pretty bad and couldn't draw my bow back any more. :(

Dave :(
Last edited by papabear1 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

So I could start deer hunting on Oct 01st. I have the woods to myself way before the gun hunters and love to bow hunt. I never had an interest in vertical bows...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

I got my first crossbow in 2009, right after having my right shoulder replaced.

Now, I like hunting with a crossbow better than with anything else.

I got my first bear ever this year with my Equinox, 2219 aluminum arrow and Spitfire Maxx 100 broadhead. Bear was 259# dressed and only went 20 yards.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

After nearly 30 years of working on rail cars and derailments while employed at the RR, I had to have the deltoid re-attached in right shoulder, 11 months later torn rotor cup repaired in left shoulder....

Finally, I severed the tricep muscle in my left (Bow Arm) and could no longer support even my grandkid's recurves and longbows above 28# and even that is painful..... At my age, the VA had no interest in doing surgery to fix it so advised therapy which accomplished NADA....

I laid out of archery for two seasons ( after hunting pretty successfully for a bit over 50 years ) :roll: before going the Xbow route. I did not want to upset my friends in the trad. archery community, for making the switch to the dreaded "Dark Side"... I finally realized that if they were truly friends, they would understand :D most did... :wink:

And here I am. :wink:
Gene :D
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

They are COOL

I'm COOL

Match made in Heaven! :lol: :lol:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Rotator cuff tear in my dominant shoulder back in 2006. Instead of taking the entire season off, I picked up an Excalibur and harvested 4 deer with it that fall. After a few years I was able to use a compound bow again and harvested seven more deer that way before my shoulder forced me to retire my compound for good a couple seasons ago.

I'm only a bit surprised how many folks came to crossbows out of necessity to stay in the game.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

There was no "medical" reason for me. I disliked shooting a compound vertical bow with heavy clothing late in the year. So I picked up a 165 Exocet out of convenience. I quickly saw that crossbows were more fun to shoot. The bonus was not having to spend crazy money in accessories just to shoot a compound that cost crazy money in the first place.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
frankthedog

Post by frankthedog »

Nothing more than to be able to hunt earlier and longer. Also more area, inside city municipality even. After shooting the thing awhile and taking a deer this season though, it has quickly become a contender for my favorite hunting implement.

Skipped on the compound bow because I thought if I am not going to shoot a re-curve bow, might as well skip the vertical concept altogether and go with a crossbow. Less messing around, less moving parts, less bells and whistles. Still kind of interested in the trad bow though...
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Too lazy to practice anymore out of shape etc .
much easier to use crossbow with scope etc

but i miss how lite my recurve was to carry and use ..crossbows are not lite with heavy clothes on and treestand on your back ..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

papabear1 wrote:Fell out of a tree and broke my neck and busted my right shoulder up pretty bad and couldn't draw my bow back ant more. :(

Dave :(

Oh my...... :shock: