BRUSH OR SPRING ARROW RETAINER?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

Re: BRUSH OR SPRING ARROW RETAINER?

Post by jody5252 »

I like the idea of a brush. Should be quieter... Only thing I wonder about it is, would it hold the arrow as well? What about when it gets wet? I see that 10 pt came out with this on there x-bows.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

with the newer ADF the arrow retainer goes out further than the standard mount. i like the fact it hold the arrow down further out.i tried the jax rubber arrow retainer silencer and found it just got in the way and didnt do much.the brush sounds like a good idea but is it better im not too sure.
schott

Post by schott »

jody5252 wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: You guys are worse then a bunch of old women! How did the subject go from the man's question to you old hags bickering about the $9 you had in your wallets since the 80's Stay on topic, or start a new one. Like, what I had to pay for a gal. of milk, or a loaf of bread so you can bicker with each other about that!
I agree its like that on all forums I asked about a target and before you know it they were talking about arrows I asked a question once on a gun forum about a certain scope and I got more answers about every other scope than the one I asked about everyone wants to tell you what they use not what you asked about
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Could care less about price. With regards to the concept - brush vs. spring; I liked the idea and the functionality of the brush when I first test fired a Barnett ( not sure which model) last spring.
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

Well :roll: when I get my new Micro Suppressor with all the toys on it may have to play with making one to try out. As to other posts, like most things in one ear out the other with little staying in. :idea: Does that mean anything? :mrgreen: I'm to scared to ask the wife, know her answer. :lol: Think I'll try some nylon stock for hold down with brush on end. Then again could just use an old tooth brush for that minty fresh thing.
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

So about the brush hold down,,,there is that guy on the Nation forum that completely re-built his M380. You wouldn't believe all the things he has done to his bow...Some of his modifications are innovative, some "not-so-much"...some may even qualify as completely ridiculous :lol: :mrgreen:

He is from someplace in Europe I think. I believe he only shoots competitive matches...not hunt.

Well, he tried some kind of brush hold down on his Matrix and discovered that is was NOT as accurate as the factory spring. So he changed it back to the factory spring for his competitions.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Image]

This is what I use and have no dislikes about the original Excal. retainer. On this retainer is a Crossman sling shot band wrapped with Hunters Specialties No-Mar tape. Super slick and quiet, no more twang just a thud. I like it better then the shrink wrap but that's just me...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I just found one like this for 18 dollars with shipping ..Great buy for little rubber band on your arrow retainer..Hurry they do not last.. :lol:

You should run this by your wife first... :roll:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

foofoo wrote:with the newer ADF the arrow retainer goes out further than the standard mount. i like the fact it hold the arrow down further out.i tried the jax rubber arrow retainer silencer and found it just got in the way and didnt do much.the brush sounds like a good idea but is it better im not too sure.

Its only money what 12 /15 dollars with shipping for something that does not work .. Thanks for test I will save my money to buy more arrows and just use a .$.20 cent heavy 0-ring :wink:
Boo

Post by Boo »

MTBighorn wrote: You can't spend it after your on the wrong side of the dirt and they're patting you on the face with a shovel :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

Anyone ever try "mole skin"
Boo

Post by Boo »

The single biggest issue I would have with a brush on the end of an arrow retainer is that the tension would change as the bristles get bent. I would however, silence the arrow retainer as long as it hit the flight deck after the shot.
Personally, I use double wall (self sealing) heat shrink tube that seems to work for me. One of the additional benefits to the double wall heat shrink is that it gives the retainer a bit of grip onto the arrow shaft, reducing the possibility of a partial dryfire. Whatever floats your boat!
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

Boo wrote:The single biggest issue I would have with a brush on the end of an arrow retainer is that the tension would change as the bristles get bent. I would however, silence the arrow retainer as long as it hit the flight deck after the shot.
Personally, I use double wall (self sealing) heat shrink tube that seems to work for me. One of the additional benefits to the double wall heat shrink is that it gives the retainer a bit of grip onto the arrow shaft, reducing the possibility of a partial dryfire. Whatever floats your boat!
x2
i heat the shrink tube and while its hot i place an arrow on the deck and press down. this forms it to the shape of the shaft.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
ihavethetools

Post by ihavethetools »

Boo wrote:The single biggest issue I would have with a brush on the end of an arrow retainer is that the tension would change as the bristles get bent. I would however, silence the arrow retainer as long as it hit the flight deck after the shot.
If I may ask Boo, what size double wall shrink tube did you use ? What ratio, 2.1, 3.1 ? Anyone have a photo of the shrink tube installed ? Thanks, Dave
350 SE, Boo Custom String, Munch Alum Rope Cocker Hooks
Quake Sling, Hawke SB1 SR
Vixenmaster String,18" Zombie Slayers, Firenocks
DrStirrup dBKiller Limb Silencers & string bumpers.