MT Pronghorn Forum Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MTBighorn

MT Pronghorn Forum Hunt

Post by MTBighorn »

Hello guys... I was wondering if any of you might like to get together to hunt antelope in Montana with our crossbows??
Last edited by MTBighorn on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
mr meat

Re: MT Pronghorn Forum Hunt

Post by mr meat »

Wow! Great offer
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

mr meat wrote:Wow! Great offer
Wow! No kidding! Very generous of you MTBighorn!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Very generous offer!!

Years ago I did a few DIY pronghorn & mule deer rifle hunts in SE Montana and it was a lot of fun.

Always wanted to go back and try it with a bow.

Hmmmmmm....????
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

Very Interesting? :shock: :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

Thank-you kindly for the offer Wes, it is very generous.
Jeff (BRCH) do you want to try that new cooler on a Montana field trip? :mrgreen:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Normous wrote:Thank-you kindly for the offer Wes, it is very generous.
Jeff (BRCH) do you want to try that new cooler on a Montana field trip? :mrgreen:
Heck ya.

Let's get the details...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Wow is right, that is an incredible offer. My wheels are turning too. I have my apprentice, he will be 21 in March, and we might be interested in heading out.
Thanks Wes
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

Hey I would like to thank you for offering a great opportunity and being very generous. I might be interested in doing this, always thought about hunting one of them. How many guys would you be able to take on this hunt and how would we be able to apply for the tags. I will look up airfare and the out of state license. Again thank you.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I'm seeing alot of guys speaking up here that I would really like to meet in person and since this is way closer to WA then Boo Fest :wink: :lol: I wish age and physical limitations would allow me to join in. :cry:

While a member of the PBS, group hunts like this were very popular and looked forward to by many.

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

nice offer! shame Montana treats crossbows as rifles. im not a fan of lottery hunt as it can be a let down making plans for months then not getting picked. i did an over the counter archery hunt in Montana for goats because of not getting a permit even though the outfitter told me permits were almost 100% draw. stalking is tough with those 8x eyes. its a tough hunt but fun.need decent binos. i would get a cow decoy.goats are use to them and make stalks easier. id look to hunt mid september.https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/product/cow-decoy/
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

You're awesome for offering that!
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Wow, very generous offer. If you have room I'm happily interested indeed. Please letme know and tthanks again....whether there's room for me or not. The members of this forum never cease to amaze me. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

Wow guys, nice response! :D

OK..a few more details...

I was born here, so have never applied non-resident...But the online apps are pretty straight forward and the computer will refuse the app until you get it right. If you apply by mail, and mess something up, you will be "SOL" and the state will offer no explanation why. :(

The MT FWP site is http://fwp.mt.gov/default.html

This is a Special draw hunt...Applications due by June 1st..Results of drawing posted around July 31. We are still a ways away...so I don't see the application form listed for antelope yet??

How many can come??....If we are hunting for fun as friends (in pairs?) the ranch will hold 6 of us just fine. The antelope travel a LOT and this is rifle season and the end of the rut, so they will move around.....But I think the lottery draw will be the biggest obstacle. And there is a lot of public land to be hunted if some feel crowded and would like exploring further...and the Hunting district (HD) is HUGE!!! Plenty of room!

The animals are quality bucks too...12 inch bucks are quite respectable and common...we should see 14"s and the biggest I have ever taken was 15 7/8"

To the North is a big, several 1,000 acre ranch that does allow some hunting...and to the South and West is large, No Hunting subdivision...with my ranch smack-dab in the middle. :mrgreen:

The Hunting district you are looking for is "360" on the regulation maps. This number will often be followed by an "-01" or -02 to indicate either sex or doe/fawn when applying for your tag.

500 tags available ..with 10% going to non-residents...Not a guarantee by a long shot...but certainly possible that a few of you will be successful.

If 5 of you want to get together and apply as a party that is fine...all 5 will be successful (or not)... the party app will also work well if you have a kid/wife or hunting/traveling buddy.

There is a link on the MT FWP site to a youtube vid showing how to apply as a party.

Successful applicants are generally offed a 2nd (doe) tag. This is to increase harvest without adding hunters in the field.

Yes we are treated as rifles...but this is just fine with me since we are NOT held to the silly (dare I say STUPID) archery regs...for example "no lighted nocks! :roll: (we can use them on our crossbow arrows :lol: ) And we are still allowed to hunt most of the weapons restrictions areas :P There is one of these areas by the BigSky airport that is particularly nice for antelope and the terrain lends its' self nicely to crossbow hunting.
Last edited by MTBighorn on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

That's a great offer, hunt of a lifetime!!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.