NU FLETCH "APE"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mreyner

NU FLETCH "APE"

Post by mreyner »

Anyone have experience with these? Interesting idea.
xcaliber

Re: NU FLETCH "APE"

Post by xcaliber »

I'm going to buy 6 and report back. I don't need them, but I will give my honest review. The price seems high at first, but really not too bad. 6 sets for $56.99 in green which are the longer lasting color BTW. You get enough vanes and lighted nocks for 6 arrows, and 5 repair vanes, plus the insert. For guys that don't want to buy a fletching jig, and deal with all that, it is not a bad price. I would definitely not shoot at the same dot with these however. I'm going in boys! :lol:
Last edited by xcaliber on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

Can't Wait for report :D :D :D Hurry up will you! :lol: I am still waiting! :cry:
Come on where it the review? :?: :P
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Easy buddy! I'm trying to figure out how to snatch up the bank statement when it comes in! :shock: I ordered a dozen in green lit nocks, and two packs of white vanes for spares. Keep an eye on the trading post after I try these, there might be some tools available, old shafts, etc. :wink:
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Before you shoot one, make sure there are no raised edges. The only pictures I saw were with vert. compounds. I would be worried about rail wear.JMHO
Hank
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have 7 14" Executioners w/110 gn brass inserts and an overall length of 14 5/8". ( when including the 2 required inserts and the entire nock )

OA weight with 110 gn brass insert and the light aluminum one the ape tail screws into, comes in at 359 gn's when cut to that short length.... The Ape tails themselves weigh ( minus the aluminum insert they screw into weigh ) 140.8 grains...

I bought these with my Micro 335 in mind... But even with only a 100 gn head, they come it right at 460 gn. I will say they hit hard and penetrate deep, but I'm not convinced there is not another combination, while leaving off the Ape Tails, that will give me a bit better performance at ranges at and over 40 yards with my 335 Micro.

IMO, the additional weight at the back of the shaft effects the percentage of FOC required up front, which brings the 110 Brass insert into the equation to achieve even close to enough FOC for decent flite and accuracy. A heavier head would improve FOC but at the cost of a heavier total weight and lower velocity. :roll:

IMO, these are designed more for arrows of the more traditional length we equate for use with verticle bows. Arrows of longer length like those, do not require as much FOC as the shorter crossbow ones do to attain good flite characteristics at extended ranges.

As a result, my shafts equipped with Ape Tails see very little use as I perfer Zombie Slayers of 15-16 1/2" and 92 grain inserts for my Micro and the same, but cut to 17" for my Matrix Bows.

I would sell those 7 Ape Tail equipped arrows along with 2 more complete " Ape Tails" and a decent size package of additional vanes very reasonable if one of you guys interested in Ape Tails cares to contact me . :wink:

Are you hearing me Dan ? Maybe a trade of sorts ? 8)
Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Let me see if these work well for me with the M- 355. I too might have a life time supply of the APE Tails. :lol:
WVCBH

Post by WVCBH »

I've watched videos about this product. In my opinion...it seems to be an expensive, hi-tech solution for a problem that does not exsist.
IMG_0138.jpg
Still lovin' my EXCALIBUR MICRO 355! :-)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Really the price is not bad considering you get lighted nocks with the kit. I'm going to try them, and give a review. Where I see this being a fit is for someone that is busy with several obligations and they want a quick solution for fixing arrows without too much hassle. I make mine, and have no use for these, but then again, maybe I do. 8)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well me stuff is coming in Friday. i got a few folks waiting on quotes, and stuff. My Queen has a hit list of crap I gotta do, and I have to keep the peace if you know what I mean. I'm going to fiddle with these, and hope to shoot soon, but keep your britches on fellas, I got stuff to do! :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

hankenhunter wrote:Before you shoot one, make sure there are no raised edges. The only pictures I saw were with vert. compounds. I would be worried about rail wear.JMHO
Hank
I will report back on this too Hank. I have the same concerns, and a few others as well. I shook the numbers hard, and price wise it is a steal really. Look at what the alternative costs VS. what you get, and the simplicity factor. I'm an anal MoFo, but if I get more time hunting & shooting, and who knows what else. :lol: :lol: I'm jumping on the train. Watch for the reviews, I'll tell it as I see it. :wink:
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

LET THE FUN BEGAIN! :shock: :lol: Can't wait for the information on this test. 8)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Came in today, the quality of the parts is very good, you do have to work the nocks in & out a bit to get them to light up, then they're good. The rear insert you install MUST be a front insert. I have aluminum that fit my Zombie Slayers, so no big deal. They will not make it to the shoulder which squares them up. If you use aluminum rear nocks, no good, because the are full thread where as the fronts are counter bored. When they shoulder up, they spin true. I'm hoping to make some up soon, and shoot a bit. Weight was 137 to 138.5 grains assembled. More to come. :wink:

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... f.jpg.html]Image
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

OK, ran the calculations, 9% FOC, total weight will be around 522 grains. I'll post results, and recipe after shooting.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Maybe my lucky night. :lol: The Queen and the Princess went shopping, :shock:
I made up a half dozen arrows.
OK, weight without heads, 326 grains. Plan to use 125 grain heads, total weight, 521 grains. We'll see how these fly! :wink:

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... u.jpg.html]Image

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... x.jpg.html]Image