NU FLETCH "APE"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: NU FLETCH "APE"

Post by xcaliber »

I did some shooting at 20 yards today, and i hit about 1" low as expected with the greater weight. I did like the penetration, and the attitude that the arrows struck the target. Very straight for the old timers that used to paper tune arrows. Perpendicular beyond what i expected. I'm trying to work things out to shoot at longer distances tomorrow off sticks. I refuse to check speed using my chronograph. I feel this whole concept takes on another direction geared more toward ease of assembly with less tools required, ease of repair, and consistency provided with the components. I truly want not to compare this arrangement to store bought arrows or customs made at home with tools, and skills that the ordinary weekend hunter would have. This whole endeavor is to provide real results with this concept that I feel the ordinary hunter could benefit from with minimal time invested. Is it time & cost effective, we'll see. Does the outcome produce effective accuracy, and minimal maintenance? Sure, you have to get bolts cut to accept the product, but intelligent use at the range, and in hunting situations should provide a long lasting product with great capabilities, and minimum work.

More to come! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Dan,

What are your thoughts as to their "Straight Fletch" with lack of helical or offset ? I'm wondering how they will stabiize a broadhead tipped arrow.

I have not shot mine with broadheads, but will soon, as I just ordered a 18-1 "second" from Midway. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Thanks for the great info. :D
Hank
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Gene, they advertise an offset of 2 degrees, but it looks like a bit less. I didn't get out this morning, in-laws stayed over last night after several beverages! 8) Sandy made an excellent Mexican Breakfast, and they're gone now. Hmmm. I'm thinking maybe! :lol:
Hank, although I only shot the six a few times each, no noticeable marks on the rail.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Back from a fun few hours shooting both the 355 & 330 Matrix Xbows. I will say these "APE" arrows impressed me. I'm adding a few pictures, then will explain what I went through with both models with different scopes, etc. Firts is 330 with Nikon Bolt.
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... a.jpg.html]Image

Second is the 355 with Redfield Revenge.
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... d.jpg.html]Image
Then various ranges from 40,and 50 yards.
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... 1.jpg.html]Image
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... 1.jpg.html]Image
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... p.jpg.html]Image

OK, the 330 has no adjustments for various yardages past 20, the scope chevrons are preset and based on 300 FPS. I set my 20 2" high, and the 30,40,and 50 yard chevrons lined up nearly perfectly. Kill shots through all ranges. I was shooting off stix, and I am honestly a little rusty. From a bench I'm sure it would have been much better. The Redfield Revenge I adjusted dead on at 20 yards which required 8 clicks up on the scope, I then shot through the ranges getting a bit lower at 30, and a bit more at 40, and still a little bit lower at 50, I adjusted my speed, or magnification ring to 4 from 5, and that was all she took. I shot all 6 randomly, and used the white vane as the cock vane at first, then randomly inserted the arrow vanes in the rail & shot, very consistent. So, here is my point system review, 10 being the highest mark:
1. Easy to use, & repair. - 10
2. Weight - Heavy - 7 ( not for everyone)
3. Build quality / durability - 10
4. Accuracy - 10
5. I'm stealing this term, "whackability" - 10 These hit HARD!
6. Cost - 8

I'm going to hunt with these this year, and tweak my Matrix Sister's through the summer months. I'm not worried about the loss in speed, so I'm glass half full with these. :wink: I gave the cost an 8, but really it should be a 10. You get all the components for the same price of 6 lighted nocks of another brand, and the rest is included. Once the arrows are cut, and remember you need front inserts for the rear, I used aluminum to keep from adding xtra weight, but the assembly, and repair time is now very minimal, no special tools required, and no real skill needed to get great looking, and performing arrows, yes, and heavy! Bows sounded pretty quiet pushing them trucks off the string.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Dan

What is the over length of your arrows both before and after the ape tails are applied to the shaft ?

What finish weight did you come up with ? Also, what weight Field Tips were you using.
( Just for S's & G's did you shoot any broadheads with them yet ? )

Good evaluation so far buddy !

Gene
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Scamp tralier
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Gene, I ended up at 526 total grains after adding the small graphics. I cut the shafts to 13.5" and total length after assembly is 17" I installed 110 grains of brass, and using 125 grain field points, did not shoot B/H yet, but I honestly think my Muzzy Heads will do well. I went with the heavier heads, and inserts to get 9% FOC, which after shooting these probably is not that important. I'm liking these heavy bolts, with the short carbon, it's like trying to bend a piece of 1/2" drill rod!
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

I have not shot mine with broadheads, but will soon, as I just ordered a 18-1 "second" from Midway. :wink:

Gene[/quote]. Not trying to hijack your thread ,but how much for a 18-1 second; I need a good broadhead target as I use rag bag target for field tips
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

Woo :shock: ! Think I will try these out. :D Sounds like smack dandy setup.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Gene, I sent you a text message with pictures of what we discussed, let me know if you got it please.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Got it Dan...

Arrowflinger, do a search for Midway USA then after opening their web page enter " Archery Target" in the search box.... They have several different styles of Rinehart "Seconds" on sale at great prices. I'm getting a Rinehart 18-1 to my door shipped USPS priority for $90. ( Saving $40 even with shipping ) :wink:

Gene
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Scamp tralier
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

What an outstanding review! Can't wait to read what you get with BH. I talked with the NuFletch owner, great guy by the way, ended up ordering a six pack. With shipping less then $10 each with replacement vanes. Think I will hide them under the bed. :lol:
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

Ok here goes, my math calculations. Corrections requested. :lol:

using a base for 18" arrow @ 10.5 = 189gr

minus the 2.75" shaft at 10.5gr inch = -28.9gr shaft(for APE)
add 56.1gr(APE) + 20gr insert + 28.9gr removed shaft = 105gr
(40gr insert) 125gr

shaft 15.25" = 160.1gr
Total 271.1gr(20gr) 291.1gr(40gr)

tip insert 60gr + BH/FT 100gr = 431.1 125gr BH/FT = 456.1

make adjustments for different weight inserts. have not figured out FOC yet :roll:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Here is the scoop on what all the stuff weighed. I don't know your arrow choice, or GPI but the Zombie Slayers are 9.1 Grains Per Inch. The assembled Ape Tail is 3.5" so just subtract that from your total length desired.
Carbon @ 13.5" - 123 grains
Rear Insert - 26 grains
Front insert - 110 grains
Nu Fletch assembly - 138 grains
Field Point / Broadhead Choice - 125 grains

522 total
Last edited by xcaliber on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Dan,

I'm happy to read your enjoying these buddy ! :D

9 More, with Red & White fletch are flyin' your way... :wink: :wink:

Gene
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Scamp tralier