Why does most justify a crossbow with an injury??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

davis131

Why does most justify a crossbow with an injury??

Post by davis131 »

I'm a fairly new crossbow hunter an have been a life long recurve guy an still consider myself a trad guy,but I switched to a crossbow because my shooting has been inconsistent at best an I hate wounding animals..WV legalized xbows a couple years ago so I got 335 then 330 an just love them,they put a smile on my face everytime I shoot them.I just returned from a TX hog hunt an got 3 after many years of getting 0 an had a blast,But my question is (I guess open ended) but it seems like everyone I meet that shoots an xbow always says I used to hunt with this or that but I got shoulder,elbow (list the body part) problem, THAT'S WHY I WENT TO A CROSSBOW Now I'm sure there are a lot of guys that has had problems but I have yet to talk to someone that says It's just fun...I just feel like crossbows still have that stigma attached to them.. :?
longbow joe

Re: Why does most justify a crossbow with an injury??

Post by longbow joe »

Ive been a traditional guy also since the 80s after having a few compounds. I bought a crossbow to shoot in my blind for turkey because gun was too easy and l had a shoulder issue with my longbow.now lm healed and shooting the longbow but these crossbows are just plain fun thats the bottom line. I am not the dead eye shot l was years ago with the longbow so in all fairness to the game i hunt i have settied for the crossbow. There a lotta fun and anyone who says its not a challange is full of it because i still miss sometimes .enjoy your new hobby l am. Lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

I've been working in the crossbow industry for quite a few years now and have done a lot of trade shows. After a few days of talking to crossbow hunters you start to feel more like a doctor than a crossbow sales guy. :D All conversations start with " I used to shoot a _____ bow but since I hurt my ______ I have to go to a crossbow."

The crossbow is looked at more like an alternative than a weapon of choice. I think its a result of the opinions of many so called purest bow hunters that crossbows are not archery and is in some way cheating. The crossbow has a had a bad wrap ever since the Pope outlawed them back in the days of the crusades where it was viewed as the "Devil's weapon". It allowed the average person to effectively defend themselves against army's of long bow archers.

I think crossbow hunters should be proud to use a great tool and not defend it's use by claiming an injury, they are just fun to shoot. You don't need to have a health issue to enjoy shooting a crossbow in my opinion and since it uses a string and arrow it's certainly archery and nothing like a firearm as many claim.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I got lazy at 63 yrs old and did not stay in shape so its hard to pull my fred bear bow from 1960....No health problem as excuse I have many friends nothing wrong with them but say they went to crossbow because they have shoulder problems all lies ..

Crossbow is real easy to use vrs recurve ,has scope ,nice arrows and lots of speed.So us lazy hunters who do not say OH MY SHOULDER IS BANGED UP ,big fib indeed like a Crossbow ..If not for a crossbow for a lazy hunter like me at 63 I would not be hunting archery I hate compound bow ..

EXCALIBER looks like bow so I took my lazy butt and got 2 micro 335 and now I can archery hunt again but I still have to make archery hunting TOUGH on me it cannot be easy so I take only 30 yard shots and only nice Bucks It cannot be easy for me or I will quit.. 8)

Back 15 years ago pgc allowed crossbow for DISABLED.You had to get permit from doctor..Everyone at work that was shooting compound bow in just 6 months all of sudden had BAD SHOULDERS.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Their eyes and nerves got shook up when after a year the doctors sent reports to their work... :lol: :lol: :lol: They came to me saying SPROUL YOU ARE UNION REP WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? They want to take me off my job from shoulder disability and I only did it to get a crossbow permit..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

As Paul Harvey said GOOD DAY! :roll:
Last edited by sproulman on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

The crossbow is my weapon of choice because I think they are cool and enjoy shooting them...

I guess there was a stigma attached to crossbows in the past.. :?
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I still shoot a 75# longbow but love my crossbows. For many options in the field they are the best tool for the job so I use them. Up here in Ontario where they have always been legal and Excalibur a local name they are very common lots of folks have used them for years. I can say I've never heard anyone say I switched because of injury etc. I believe it is heard more often stateside because for many years you could only switch with Dr.'s not of injury or disabled. Canadians have recognized the fact that the cross bow is indeed archery equipment for many years :wink:
Bowmack72

Post by Bowmack72 »

I think it is a generational thing as well. I am 45 and I got into bowhunting when I was 12-13 and Compounds were starting to be all the rage so that is what my dad started me on and I stayed with it. Crossbows were not legal to hunt with so I never gave it a second thought. Fast forward to a car accident I had about 3 years ago that left 2 disks in my neck ruptured causing severe nerve pain and I had to go to crossbow to continue my archery season. I fell in love with the crossbow so much that even after I had surgery to repair the problem and gained my strength back, I decided to stay with crossbow. Now my son who is 12 decides he wants to start bowhunting and he thinks the crossbow is the coolest thing ever so that is what he is starting with (whatever it takes to get them in the woods) so as he grows, he may never be interested in verts. I would assume that there are a lot of stories out there like this so I think it is just natural for someone of my generation or a little older to say the only reason they went to crossbow was because of injury but fast forward 15 years from now it won't be that way. Just my opinion.
Matrix 350se - BEEs - Rage Hypos
Barnett Wildcat - BEEs - Rage Hypos
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

I'm young, fairly fit, no injuries, I just plain like my crossbow. I don't own any vertical bows and have nothing against them, I'll probably even buy one to have some fun with eventually but I'll always own and use a crossbow
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
WVCBH

Post by WVCBH »

Maybe some people feel that it is easier to give an excuse rather than argue with someone that may disapprove of crossbow hunting. Here in the state of West Virginia, crossbows have only been legal to hunt with for 2 seasons. (In previous years you could hunt with a crossbow by special permit only) It's basically still a new law. After some time passes it will not be an issue to anyone. We went through a very similar situation when the new fangled bows with wheels came along! Now it's the norm. :-)
Still lovin' my EXCALIBUR MICRO 355! :-)
donny.brooke

Post by donny.brooke »

I would have never bought a crossbow if it wasnt for bad shoulders as I was a diehard compound shooter.
Dr.Stirruped Micro 355
Rem 700 LSS Mountain 280 Rem.
SEW

Post by SEW »

I loved Robin Hood back in the 50s. But he would have voted for Hillary so I have different feelings now. Anyway, I started deer hunting with a self bow in 1957 and still hunt with a recurve today(Palmer White Tail Classic). In 1983, a shoulder accident caused me to try a Xbow. I loved it. Since then I have split my shooting between verticals and xbows. 6 years ago I got a Bowteck Strykeforce . Then it became slanted even more to Xbow. 4 years ago, I got a M380, 3 years ago, a M405 and 1 year ago, a BD400. Ever since I found out how late to the party I was, it has been almost exclusively Excal xbow. Why, because I like it. Physically, I'm great.
bgarchery

Post by bgarchery »

I shoot them because of zombies....and that is the only reason you need. Zombies.
Have fun with the XBow!!!
Woody's Sporting Goods-Helping our customers get the most out of their hunting season with sales and service for ALL their bowhunting needs!!!
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

I bought my first Excalibur Phoenix, new, when they were still available (from Dan Miller). It was stolen. I retired and had a stroke. I also have arthritis and sciatica. I then bought another Phoenix, used and from a member of this forum. I'm glad I did! I bought it just to plink with it. I make my own arrows to keep busy. Playing with crossbows is fun, even without hunting. I also bought a take down Martin Saber (30 Lb.), also for fun!
THE IMMENSE IMPORTANCE OF A PINT OF ALE TO A COMMON PERSON SHOULD NEVER BE OVERLOOKED!
ROGER THAT

Post by ROGER THAT »

No Need To Have Excuses To Shoot A Cross Bow There Just Plain Fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
There I Said It And I'm Not Taking It Back :lol: :lol: :lol:
>>====>
Work Hard Hunt Harder
Matrix 380 Xtra (Serenity)
Matrix 405 (cwn annwn)
Matrix Bulldog 400 (Acwellen)
Matrix Grizzly (Armel)
Micro 355 (Siofra)
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

An old shoulder injury caught up to me about 7 years ago. I have no cartilage in my left shoulder. If it was not for the crossbow, I would not be able to hunt in archery season here in PA. If my shoulder was good I would still be shooting and competing with the compound bows which I loved. Most likely I would not own or even think of shooting a crossbow if my shoulder was healthy. But, it is what it is and I am glad an old friend of mine turned me on to Excalibur crossbows. I have not missed a beat. Started shooting the crossbow and love it now. Have not missed an archery season and do not plan on it.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ