Grizzly Done

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThackMan

Re: Grizzly Done

Post by ThackMan »

BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Nice set up 8)
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

Thanks guys !

ThackMan you weren't kidding they do look alike.

Nobody seems to have answered my question. Either it's too stupid or nobody thought about it before. :shock:
Those who are brave .. are free.

Grizzly
HHA Optimizer with Hawke Scope, Munch Mount, Quikee 3 quiver,
BowJax2 silencers, self made kydex cheek piece
18" Diablo Arrows w Blazer vanes, 150 gr Boltcutter BH's, Lumenoks
418 grains with 16.66% FOC
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

OldWolf wrote:
xcaliber wrote:Looks real nice!
Thank you. :)

I have a stupid question. I've been out of the game for about 15 years due to an injury. I used to shoot and maintain my old Matthews Q2.
I've practiced, at home, using the rope cocker and no problems at all. I've also practiced using the stringing aid and again no problems.
My question is what if the string breaks ? If you adjust the stringing aid out to get it on the limbs and cock it using the rope cocker won't the distance from the limb tips be too far apart to get the string on ?
It's probably a simple method but I haven't figured it out. Thanks in advance !

Try not to let the string break. :lol: :lol:

Seriously though just put the stringer on and tighten it as much as you can... Then pull back and put a new string on.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

Try not to let the string break. :lol: :lol:
LOL !
Seriously though just put the stringer on and tighten it as much as you can... Then pull back and put a new string on.
I was under the impression that once the string was off (as if it broke) the limbs would spread greatly. Placing the stringer on as tight as possible and cocking I thought would still leave the limb spread too wide to get the new string on.
I'm glad I asked and thanks.

Grizzly
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

Well I guess you guys were right .. I have the bug. :lol:

I saw someone shooting with an HHA Optimizer speed dial and he let me try it out. I was blown away. I was checking online for sales for the past two weeks. I got a really good price for the Optimizer with the Hawke scope.
I mounted it and adjusted the scope for twenty yards. (The 1st thing I noticed was how high it sat .. I had a chin weld. The 2nd thing was the rope cocker hook was making contact with the wheel.) I then adjusted the dial for 60 yards and applied the correct tape. I went back to the internet for the Optimizer wheel extensions and a kydex sheet. The extensions went on easy and seems to have cured the issue. I just finished the cheek piece and it came out good. As soon as I shoulder it my cheek is perfectly situated so my eye is inline with the scope now. I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

Grizzly
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Not sure if question was totally answered. Put the string aid on as tight as you can and put string on. Then you have to tighten up string aide more and load it up in bow and twist string up more for proper brace height. In other words it will likely take twice with string aide to get the string where you want it to sit. CHEERS!
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

Thank you for the information wheelie ! :wink:

Well here are pictures of the cheek rest I made and the Optimizer with the wheel extensions. I didn't want to drill any holes in the stock so I utilized the two existing holes. So far they are both working fine.

Grizzly
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I must be an aweful simple fella.

Nice work and congrats.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Doug,

Was I you, and happy with my new bow, :D I might suggest just leaving your chrony in the box. Because regardless of the numbers given, that's all they are... :roll: ... just numbers... :wink:

You have years of experience and know if you and your bow have what it takes to do the job. :wink: Keep your shots within a reasonable distance and place your arrow where it belongs. :D
Remember it just requires 1 hair behind the shoulder to concentrate on. :wink:

You have a great set up. Now I just suggest you get out and get familiar with it and all that it can make possible for the two of you accomplish. 8)

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

Most well done youngster :lol: . I see you have watched Star Wars and took Yodas advice "Accessorize, or ?" :shock: Oh the shame of all the piled up boxes :oops: . :lol: Gene you are "way" to logical :lol: , must have toys, toys and more toys :D
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

Gene you are right as usual. :D

The mods that I made were for one reason .. and only one reason. To make the shot that counts as accurate as possible. In the words of Ted Nugent .. aim small - miss small !
I do have many years experience with the vertical bow. I also have many years experience hunting, ice fishing, etc.. I am sure I could make the necessary shot with the Grizzly as it sat right out of the box. But if the mods give me just 10% more accuracy I believe it is well justified.
And Gene you are correct the chrono will not make a difference. I purposely bought the Grizzly for the poundage and I knew the speed was slower than most but it will still get the job done easily .. if I do my part. I was just curious what the numbers might be.
No matter what I will continue to practice and hunt with the Grizzly and hopefully learn something new everyday. I expect to be using this bow till the end.

Grizzly
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to take a minute and say thanks to everyone here .. thank you.
I've been shooting my Grizzly for about two years now off and on and really enjoy it. Now I know that I made the right decision getting this bow and the way I set it up. I couldn't be happier. Winter bow is starting in a couple of weeks and I am thinking it's time. :thumbup:
By the way I never checked the fps through the chronograph until about a week ago .. I just wanted to know. Again I'm using 416 grain Diablos with 16.6 % FOC.
I did a 3 shot string to get an average fps. The first shot was 291. The second was 287. The third was 289. That was using the Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph and using the IR lights which are supposed to be more accurate. The shots were fired from about 20" from the chronograph .. as per Caldwell instructions. So the average was 289 fps and according to an online KE calculator it's 77 lbs of KE. I believe I'm good to go !

Grizzly
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

OldWolf wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:15 am
xcaliber wrote:Looks real nice!
Thank you. :)

I have a stupid question. I've been out of the game for about 15 years due to an injury. I used to shoot and maintain my old Matthews Q2.
I've practiced, at home, using the rope cocker and no problems at all. I've also practiced using the stringing aid and again no problems.
My question is what if the string breaks ? If you adjust the stringing aid out to get it on the limbs and cock it using the rope cocker won't the distance from the limb tips be too far apart to get the string on ?
It's probably a simple method but I haven't figured it out. Thanks in advance !
A string should never break but if it happened use your string changer to replace it.
You Grizzly is ready for action looks good, nice set up.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I like it. Your gonna get the modding disease l can see it now.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.