MT Pronghorn Forum Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

schott

Re: MT Pronghorn Forum Hunt

Post by schott »

MTBighorn wrote:Hello guys... I was wondering if any of you might like to get together to hunt antelope in Montana with our crossbows??

Not many crossbow hunters in MT, so I would like to invite a few of you that might be interested to come play for a week +/-.

I have a 700 acre ranch in South Western Montana that has quite a few pronghorn. There is also lots of public land as well.

The terrain is broken and hilly which allows for a great crossbow hunting experience....unlike the open flatlands of Eastern MT and WY.

It is a lottery draw for the tags, but up to 5 people can apply as a "Party" so if 1 draws a tag...all get a tag.

I am not a guide or outfitter so this will be a DIY, no fee hunt. It will be mostly spot and stalk, or ambush hunting. No hides, blinds or watering holes (unless you bring one)...just friends getting together for some honest hunting.

All you have to do is buy your tags and get here...Motels and grocery stores are 10 miles away or can pitch a tent or trailer camp in the campground -1 mile from the ranch.... right on the Madison River.

Major airport is Bozeman and is 65 miles from the ranch.

There is no crossbow season in MT so we will be treated as rifle hunters and have to wear orange...but the ranch is private.

MT applications need to be in by June 1st, and the season tentatively starts Oct 7th....the earlier the better because the major migration is tapering off by this time.

Anyone interested??? :mrgreen:
Wes
how far are you from Helena I have a friend who lives outside of Helena, about a mile down the road from the York bar he says its been a real bad winter, he has lived there over 25 years and says its the worst since he has been there
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Extremely Generous Offer!! KUDOS MTBighorn Image

I'll dwell on this one a little...
Just locked in on a 2.5 week jet boat run on one of our remote Northern Rivers. Four men, two jet rigs. Stone Sheep, Caribou, Moose, Mountain Goat & Grizz (if we draw) on the menu. This one runs pretty close behind that, so I'll have to get down & dirty on the cost calculations...

Paul - If I can figure a way to make this work, we should chat... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

IronNoggin wrote:Extremely Generous Offer!! KUDOS MTBighorn Image

I'll dwell on this one a little...
Just locked in on a 2.5 week jet boat run on one of our remote Northern Rivers. Four men, two jet rigs. Stone Sheep, Caribou, Moose, Mountain Goat & Grizz (if we draw) on the menu. This one runs pretty close behind that, so I'll have to get down & dirty on the cost calculations...

Paul - If I can figure a way to make this work, we should chat... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
HOOYAAHH!!!! :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I spent the weekend looking through the Montana regs and Maped the route from Ontario...

Antelope with crossbow would be the ultimate hunt!!

I like...

:)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Awesome offer. I have hunted turkeys in Montana the last 3 years and this year I am going for mule deer and pronghorn but with my PSE . Hopefully elk in 2018 if you go you will love it people are awesome and still a hunting culture out there. I can't wait to go back in Sept.
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Anybody from Toronto / GTA planing to join this group of fine gentlemen?
I would like to do it, but it's a long ways for one guy.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Fazan wrote:Anybody from Toronto / GTA planing to join this group of fine gentlemen?
I would like to do it, but it's a long ways for one guy.
PM sent...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

What a hoot it will be. Anyone from mid-west (Iowa) planning on going? As already stated split costs.
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

Any other year and I would be in, but already have a elk hunt planned this year. Great offer it would be a blast, I haven't had antelope sausage in years.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

One heck of a offer. Hats off to you Sir. :D
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Couple Quick Questions that I could not find the answer to on the related website:

If successful in the group style draw, do all of those entered have to be present for the hunt to proceed, or can that occur if one or two can't make it?
In BC with a group draw, the hunt can proceed regardless if one (or even two) of those who drew cannot for whatever reason make the hunt. What I am wondering is Montana the same?

I see that there are two requirements prior to entering the draw - Base Hunting License and a Conservation surcharge. What is not clear is when does the actual License fee have to be paid? Upon entering, or only if successful?

Hoping you can shed a little light on these matters...

Wondering here...
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Does anybody know answers for Nog's questions?
I guess there is few of us waiting for someone to chime in.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Have learned a little more both in communications with MTBighorn and further online investigations...

It appears that up to five folks can put in the same draw together, but all five need not be present for the hunt(s) to proceed. Good news in case someone on your team needs to bail for whatever reason.

Your Base Hunting & Conservation Licenses must be paid before you can apply: $ 25.00 US.

Your Antelope License Fee must be paid at time of application. If unsuccessful, all but $ 5.00 (Application Fee) is returned to you. Cost: $ 205.00 US

Similar to what BC does excluding the handing over of the license fees before drawing. Costs are fairly reasonable IMHO.

Still contemplating on this one, but leaning towards a GO from my end... :D
Not that I "need" to take another Speed Goat, but I have never taken one with an arrow and that possibility is quite appealing...

Cheers,
Nog
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Thanks for clarifying this Nog!

Lubo
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Thanks for looking in to this. I hope we can make this happen. I've been watching crossbow antelope hunts on YouTube and getting fired up... :)