Matrix 330 to Micro Suppressor

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dithian

Matrix 330 to Micro Suppressor

Post by dithian »

Hi Everyone,

I've gotten a bunch of great information over the last couple of years off this forum—thank you all. This is my first time posting. So, I'm looking at the new Micro Suppressor, and it's flirting back pretty hard. My biggest concern, aside from the outlay of cash, is that I won't be able to draw it back. I have a Matrix 330, which I can shoot all day without breaking a sweat. I'm not a muscular guy, though, and not particularly tall (about 5'9" if I wear thick socks and bounce a little). I live (quite literally) thousands of miles away from anywhere that would let me try one out, so I either have to take the risk, or stop flirting with the bow. Can anyone offer some advice or personal experience on this?

The 330 is a great bow, and it doesn't have any problems passing through any 4-legged food in my neck of the woods at 40 yards. If I buy the Suppressor, I'll have to sell the 330. I don't want to use a crank. There will be a slight advantage having a smaller bow, but the 330 works just fine for me. I like that the Suppressor is shorter than the 355, and I like the idea of the suppression more for my comfort shooting than for its sound dampening—I doubt it will make much difference in string ducking, and even my 330 threw my neck out before I added the air brakes.

Thoughts, rants, diatribes or shameless adulation on the subject appreciated.
paulaboutform

Re: Matrix 330 to Micro Suppressor

Post by paulaboutform »

Hello island brother and welcome to the tribe! :D I haven't got a suppressor but I do have a Micro 355. We all have personal tastes and personally, I'd stick with the M330. I believe it's more accurate at extended ranges (which may not be a factor for you) and is simply a beautifully balanced and BULLETPROOF bow. I'm not nocking (pun intended) the Suppressor but I wouldn't replace my Matrix 330 to buy it. There's no wrong choice here, that's just what I would do.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

paulaboutform wrote:Hello island brother and welcome to the tribe! :D I haven't got a suppressor but I do have a Micro 355. We all have personal tastes and personally, I'd stick with the M330. I believe it's more accurate at extended ranges (which may not be a factor for you) and is simply a beautifully balanced and BULLETPROOF bow. I'm not nocking (pun intended) the Suppressor but I wouldn't replace my Matrix 330 to buy it. There's no wrong choice here, that's just what I would do.

Paul

X 2 If it ain't broke don't fix it. :wink:

Dave :D
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

If it ain't broke don't fix it. :wink:

Dave :D[/quote]

x2
easy answer and straight to the point
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
dithian

Post by dithian »

Mahalo, guys. Much appreciated. Paulaboutform, I'm curious about the accuracy issue. I never shoot at game beyond 40 yards, and 90% of the time 30 yards or less. How does your Micro 355 do at 40 yards? Are the accuracy issues due to the heightened impact of string centering issues when cocking, because of the shorter limbs (string being off center by 1/16" will have more effect on shorter limbs than longer ones)? Or is it more about using shorter bolts? Could I use the 18" Diablo bolts with the Suppressor for better accuracy? How difficult is your 355 to cock?
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

The 330 is one of the most reliable crossbows on the market, and if it fits the bill for anything you hunt I would stick with it. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Eck

Post by Eck »

I have a 330, 380, and a Micro 335. I believe the Matrix bows are easier to shoot more accurately than the Micros. Personally, I'd keep your 330 and be happy
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I haven't put my micro through the paces to give a first hand account of the accuracy. I've shot it enough to know it's very accurate though....and very difficult to draw. I'm referring to long range accuracy according to the testing that forum member Sew has done. Like me, he enjoys extended range shooting out to 100yards or further. Not at animals, just precision target shooting. His bows are highly customized and arrows matched and so on. His findings are that the wider limb bows like the Exo series are more accurate than the narrower limbed Matrix series. Likewise, the Matrix series bows are more accurate than the Micro series. Honestly, at forty yards I don't think you'll notice much difference if any. If you just want a cool new bow, by all means purchase away. None of us here will discourage that! :mrgreen: If you're just looking to spice it up a little maybe consider a custom Flemish string, B.E. Arrows, a Dr.Stirrup Kit.???? I'm just throwing it out there.
As to why the wider bows are more accurate I'm assuming it's because of the decreased string angle and poundage being less critical of anything that isn't quite perfect.

Paul
Trentco1

Post by Trentco1 »

If you like the small design of the micro bows and there compactness you won't be disappointed with the micro 315
it's a shooter all day long!
Micro 355
Hawke xb30 pro scope T&T Triger boo force 10 string Zombie slayers 16.5 arrows c/w right helical blazer vanes aluminum nocks or lumenoks
Micro 315
Tact zone scope force 10 string 16" inch executioner arrows aluminum nocks or lumenoks
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have owned a few of the Matrix & Micro's. If'en yer wants are about a smaller crossbow then the Micro is that. They are harder to rope cock than the Matrix 330, i am at the point wid mine its all C2 now. I still can rope cock my Matrix 360 :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Sure the suppressor is 8) but I'd never replace a 330 to buy one. Now if only you can add the Micro without selling the Matrix. :D After owning two versions of the Micro, I'll stick to the matrix series, it wasn't for me. If I'm going to rope cock 270# or more it better be shooting damn near 400 fps.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Trentco1 wrote:If you like the small design of the micro bows and there compactness you won't be disappointed with the micro 315
it's a shooter all day long!
The big advantage to the Micro bows are there small size.

A customized Micro 315 does it all for me. It's the perfect tree stand/ground blind bow. I don't do much shooting past 40 yards so for me it fits the bill perfectly.

You have to look at your priorities.
Matrix if you want ease of cocking and great long range accuracy.

Micro if you want a compact bow with great short range hunting accuracy.

Micro is stiff to cock for sure but for me I want a compact bow for hunting and the Micro works...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
dithian

Post by dithian »

Now there's a thought. I could buy a bare Micro 315 for about the same amount as the difference I would pay buying the Suppressor and selling the M330. I have an extra scope on hand. Then the trick would be convincing my wife that crossbows to men are like high heel shoes to women—you need at least two. I wish Excal would sell a version of all Micros with the shorter body.

So another question: I would be inclined to shoot the 315 with 100 grain mechanicals to keep the speed up (I use 150 grain fixed on the M330). The axis deer here are psychic, gymnastic string duckers. Any thoughts on how that setup would work up to 40 yards? Would that have enough punch to pass through a big boar?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

dithian wrote:Now there's a thought. I could buy a bare Micro 315 for about the same amount as the difference I would pay buying the Suppressor and selling the M330. I have an extra scope on hand. Then the trick would be convincing my wife that crossbows to men are like high heel shoes to women—you need at least two. I wish Excal would sell a version of all Micros with the shorter body.

So another question: I would be inclined to shoot the 315 with 100 grain mechanicals to keep the speed up (I use 150 grain fixed on the M330). The axis deer here are psychic, gymnastic string duckers. Any thoughts on how that setup would work up to 40 yards? Would that have enough punch to pass through a big boar?
As soon as you say big boar hog that's a game changer. You can shoot 100gr heads but you'll need a heavier brass insert in the 92gr or 110gr variety. As for mechanicals with a light poundage bow on big boar hogs, NO. With big boars you want your range to be close and you'll want a great penetrating broadhead like a Magnus Stinger, QAD Exodus or even Slick Trick. I wouldn't use mechanicals on big boars even with my M380 or M405.

Paul
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I agree if you are happy with the size of the 330 keep it, if your buying the Suppressor just for the performance you won't be happy, I doubt you can tell the difference in performance without a chronograph!

Then as for the hogs it has been my experience with my 335 Micro, I lost speed quicker when adding weight to my arrows, and for hogs I would want 420 grain or heavier, so the speed difference is going to be closer.

But I gotta say I can shoot this little Suppressor better offhand than I can my Matrix series, once I put a TriggerTech in it also! But if I only had one bow it would be a hard choice between my 350 or my 380,,, but I would have to part with the handy little Suppressor.

I also stripped the brakes and limb jax and string leeches off, I can't really say I notice a difference in noise or shock,, if there is it aint worth the better ballance and feel without them,, JMO
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!