Inserts&Targets

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

typical10

Inserts&Targets

Post by typical10 »

I have 2 reinhart block targets and no matter which glue I use, the insert and field point will be pulled out of the shaft often. What is the prefered insert glue for this problem?Thank you, Jeff ~
Boo

Re: Inserts&Targets

Post by Boo »

Knurl the inserts between 2 files to give it texture.
Wash the inserts in acetone.
Run a 30 cal bore brush into the shaft to remove loose material.
Stick the shaft into acetone and shake. Remove the shaft from the acetone and shake off the excess. Do this 3 times.
Let all cleaned surfaces dry for couple of hours or until there is zero smell of acetone.
Do not touch any of the cleaned surfaces with your hands.
Put a small bead of glue on the inside edge of the shaft and at the forward corner of the insert (the end going into the shaft) as well as on the glue surface of the insert. If you do not see a bead of glue build up ahead of the shaft, you haven't used enough glue.
Push and turn the insert into the shaft and smack it on a wooden surface to seat.
Do not use the shaft for 24 hrs.
Goat Tough, the blue top Gorilla glue, G5 blue glue all worked for me with no problems. Twenty four hour two part epoxy works really well. Cleanliness is more important than the glue used.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Exactly as boo said. I use a product called acrisolve basically a degreaser used in automove field has toluene in it. With a industrial q -TIP. Any 10 minute epoxy or longer is good.l agree on the cleaning being the biggest factor. Remember that the cutoff saw also leaves a ton of dust in the hole also.before putting nocks on l blow the shaft with compressed air. (Watch your eyes).from the carbon dust n nose also.
Last edited by longbow joe on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
typical10

Post by typical10 »

Thank you guys ~