MT Pronghorn Forum Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fazan

Re: MT Pronghorn Forum Hunt

Post by Fazan »

It appears that a lot of guys doing spot and stalk recommend using decoy. Any thoughts on that?
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Fazan wrote:It appears that a lot of guys doing spot and stalk recommend using decoy. Any thoughts on that?
I guided for speedy goats for a rather lengthy period of time (Alberta).
There are basically three ways to connect on them.
Decoys and waterholes were basically the only way to get within bow range.
Decoy's worked, and worked damn well.

Have a funny story about that I'll relate when I have a little more time...

Only caveat here, I'd be damn nervous using one when rifle season is open...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Normous

Post by Normous »

Right now I can picture myself in the field behind my Matrix 405 sitting on top of a swivel mounted 13" to 27" Harris bi-pod. The way I see it my 6" wide Matrix stirrup is a wonderful place to hang a lightweight Pronghorn decoy :mrgreen:

THEN, Nog's concern about gun toting nincompoops woke me from my hunting fantasy.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

MTBighorn wrote: It will be mostly spot and stalk, or ambush hunting. No hides, blinds or watering holes (unless you bring one)
IronNoggin wrote: Decoys and waterholes were basically the only way to get within bow range.
Decoy's worked, and worked damn well.
So it looks we'll have to go that way.
Any particular decoy you would recommend?
I found lot of people liked this one:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/MAD-Comm ... 6CQ_st%3Db
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Fazan wrote:... So it looks we'll have to go that way.
Any particular decoy you would recommend?
The one you posted looks fine.

In our case (and I may make another for this particular hunt) was made out of plywood cut to shape. Then several different appropriate colors of carpet were applied, along with a little paint. End result was quite realistic from even 10 or so feet.

OK, here's the decoy story...

Ricky (Partner who has since wandered on and desperately missed) and I had guided for goats long enough to get a bit of a rep going. A fellow (Big Business Rich Dude) from Calgary contacted us regarding a bow hunt. No Worries we told him. So, he booked.

Couple days before the bow season we located an extremely good buck. Easy Book. Running about 180 does and wee ones. Perfect.

Fellow shows up, a bit chubby, but can indeed hit what he aims an arrow at out to 60 yards. Perfect.

Took him out to have a look at the Big Boy. As we were glassing him, a smaller buck with a half dozen does appeared on the horizon. Big Boy immediately raced towards them, but little buck didn't get the drift. Big Buck then goes broadside (as they often do) at 30 yards, puffs all his hair up, and struts back and forth - his version of Look Just How Damn Big I Am!
Little buck stands his ground. Mistake!!
Big Buck then pounces and in a flurry of hooves and horns, hair, dust and blood is flying EVERYWHERE!! :shock:

Little buck gets stabbed repeated up the butt with Big Bucks horns on his way out of Dodge, whereafter the Big Boy collects the six does and invites them to join his herd. Excellent display, could not have been planned any better. Perfect.

Day of hunt arrives. We dump City Boy out of the truck with the decoy, and send him in to do battle. Perched on a hill a mile off, we watched the events unfold through our spotting scopes...

Little Buck (decoy) comes over the horizon. Big Buck takes a moment to notice, but when he does, races HARD towards the decoy. Perfect.

Big Buck does not stop at the 30 yard line, and looks as if he will do so a tad closer. All his hair is already up, and it is easy to tell even from a distance he is PISSED!

Suddenly the decoy is airborne! WTH??
Then a Bow flies off in the opposite direction, and our "hunter" is seen madly making tracks for the nearest fence!! :shock:

Ricky & I simply collapsed in laughter :lol:
Took a bit before we could shed that and collect our man...

He did take another two days later.
Off a waterhole, and one hell of a lot smaller...

Still to this day I have to shake my head at 200+ pounds of "hunter" being intimidated so badly by a little Speedy Goat!!

Moral of the story: Stand your ground & SHOOT! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

Funny decoy story Nog!

I have a "Montana" decoy in the whitetail doe. It is just fabric w/ a real deer photo on it. Supported by a spring band and a couple steel legs. I like it, because it is so easy...and very lightweight. But the wind does it no favors.

Set it up one evening and the wind was blowing, making the decoy sway and bob very un-naturally. I was set up about 75 yards back.

Little buck spotted it from about 300 yards out and came running. At 30 yards he started to circle. When he got to the 3/8" narrow side of the decoy, doe disappeared! The buck flagged and blew out of there on the dead run. At about 100 yards he glanced back and noticed his tender young doe was back....so here he comes again :mrgreen:

He repeated his approach, circle, and flee exercise for about a half hour.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You gotta love it when it works, and it DOES! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

There is some very open country...a real challenge, even for a long range rifle. I took this pic of a few days ago...good luck stalking this heard! Yeah they are center stage in this pic :lol:

Just 2 miles away the land is broken country... This buck would offer a great stalk opportunity, with the terrain, big draws, and bushes.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Real nice pics. Great Big Sky shots there.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Jeeze, getting paid and entertained. Does not get any better than that. Eh Nog? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Just realized I missed the deadline to apply for the draw. BIG disappointment!
Anybody applied?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Fazan wrote:Just realized I missed the deadline to apply for the draw. BIG disappointment!
Anybody applied?
DANG IT!. .....me too. I was thinking about it last week and got distracted. Oh well, seeing as my road tripping huntin partner is layed up and playin 'pirate' while he's on the mend we'll have to try another time. :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

That Pirate Eye is misbehaving. Doc told him not to look at computer screen and yet I see he is looking at fine guns in the Trading post :D

I hope hunt opportunity like this will come again some time.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

paulaboutform wrote: DANG IT!. .....me too. I was thinking about it last week and got distracted. Oh well, seeing as my road tripping huntin partner is layed up and playin 'pirate' while he's on the mend we'll have to try another time.
Apologies to the OP and to you Buddy. Seems my mind has been elsewhere as of late. Bummer! I really did want to get in on this one!! :(

MTBighorn - I hope you will understand the extenuating circumstances this go-around, and will consider repeating your most generous offer down the road a spell...
Fazan wrote:That Pirate Eye is misbehaving. Doc told him not to look at computer screen and yet I see he is looking at fine guns in the Trading post :D
You always do everything you're told to :P

Seeing the doc tomorrow, and am simply jumping the gun a little on his green light to check out fine guns... :lol:

Cheers,
Nog
Normous

Post by Normous »

Oh oh.... :shock:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family