Rage 3 Blade Chisel Tip or NAP DoubleCross

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

884savage

Rage 3 Blade Chisel Tip or NAP DoubleCross

Post by 884savage »

Have any of you shot deer with these from a crossbow? I'm looking to get one of these two or possibly another 3 blade expandable head. I've shot mechanicals for over 15 years and never once had a premature opening, lack of opening, or any of the other problems I hear about, so I'm going with a mechanical head. What experiences have you had?
elkaholic

Re: Rage 3 Blade Chisel Tip or NAP DoubleCross

Post by elkaholic »

hello --though I have not used either broadhead that you are asking about.-

out west we love our Grim Reapers- very accurate and deadly.

They will not open prematurely -- even on the newer high fps crossbows

Good luck - I highly recommend you give them a try

This yr. on Javelina, Friend took a 25 yrd shot- He hit a little forward. We found a very easy to follow blood trail - approx. 50 yrds. Found the piggy piled up in a prickly pair bush. It's front of legs area was a mess. upon skinning- not a single hole in the body cavity. It had hit the throat and cut a big hole thru the main arteries in that area.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

when you say you have shot them for 15 years....is that out of a high poundage recurve crossbow? The reason I ask is that the energy curve is very different between a recurve crossbow and a compound bow (vert bow or crossbow). The bow is drawn to it's max energy level and when the trigger is tripped all of that energy instantly accelerates the arrow. On wheeled bows, the bow is held at some letoff from the peak, so the instantaneous initial acceleration is much lower.
Said all that to say that a mech head that works fine on a wheeled bow may or may not work well out of an Excal crossbow. It may open prematurely due to the higher instantaneous acceleration. You will need to try it.

Personally, I'm not willing to risk it so I shoot fixed heads. It's not hard to get an arrow that will shoot 1 1/2" groups with fixed heads at 40 yds with these bows. Well within "minute of deer" accuracy IMO.

Good Luck!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Freak nasty 3 blade 2" cut heads shoot fine out of my 355 as do 3 blade rocket hammerheads 2" cut.
The trauma 2 blade also shoot fine.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i have used the nap double cross out of my 380 and out of a vortex no problem with them . my friend and i shot bears with them 30 yd recovery never shot a rage
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

My broadhead of choice is NAP Spitfire MAX. I have shot many of Deer and a Bear with them. I used them in my compound and my Vortex. I since picked up a Micro 335 and took one of my biggest Bucks. Never had one open over the years. They are one awesome broadhead. Good luck with your choice
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR