Venting and asking for input

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Venting and asking for input

Post by Boo »

As many of you know, I'm a pretty busy guy. From Boofest to charities to my farm to my auto repair business to family and dogs, I just don't have a whack of time.
I almost inveritably double check with people before making the string. I also try to take care of past string buyers first and people who are stressed about getting a string from me. So I'm pretty pissed with someone commits and then bails. I know I can always sell a string that doesn't have a home but bailing sure is rude! That being said, I've had 11 people commit to strings and bail out on me. Not word of communication when I've contacted them telling them that their string is done. Either someone is playing some kind of childish games or there's more attitude adjustment needy people that I thought there was!
So I'm at a quandary as to how to handle myself. Between making strings, arrows and my non-archery life something has to change. So I'd like to get some input for you all. What the fudge do you think I should do?
Please be serious guys! I really am looking for opinions.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Re: Venting and asking for input

Post by Normous »

The way I see it, the new company rule states a customer will get his string after he pays for it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, get them to pay before you start Don. As to pranks, I think some people are just not considerate of other people, their time, and costs.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Normous wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:09 am
The way I see it, the new company rule states a customer will get his string after he pays for it.
I was stuck with 11 strings (in the last 2 months) and down to 7 now and not paid for 1 that was sent. I'm thinking a deposit but again, looking for ideas.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

The above statements are my exact sentiments before I even read them. Money up front before the build. Period. Also, I know string building isn't your livelihood Don. Having said that, I would keep a list of people not to sell strings to. That's an easy way to avoid some irritations.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:12 am
Yep, get them to pay before you start Don. As to pranks, I think some people are just not considerate of other people, their time, and costs.
Or half down and balance when shipping. That if they don't go through will sale you can announce here for sale without a lost.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Don, any Matrix strings, PM me, I'll take one any color.

Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Thank you Dan, but there are lots of people who will jump at the strings. I just have to find the time to match up orders with orphan strings. What really pisses me off more is that my orders go back to 2015 and these jerks are making their wait longer than need be. It wouldn't be so bad if they at least responded to my emails and said they didn't need it anymore and maybe even an apology.
Somehow, I'll fix this.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:02 am
As many of you know, I'm a pretty busy guy. From Boofest to charities to my farm to my auto repair business to family and dogs, I just don't have a whack of time.
I almost inveritably double check with people before making the string. I also try to take care of past string buyers first and people who are stressed about getting a string from me. So I'm pretty pissed with someone commits and then bails. I know I can always sell a string that doesn't have a home but bailing sure is rude! That being said, I've had 11 people commit to strings and bail out on me. Not word of communication when I've contacted them telling them that their string is done. Either someone is playing some kind of childish games or there's more attitude adjustment needy people that I thought there was!
So I'm at a quandary as to how to handle myself. Between making strings, arrows and my non-archery life something has to change. So I'd like to get some input for you all. What the fudge do you think I should do?
Please be serious guys! I really am looking for opinions.
I'm going to toss this out there, and take it with utmost respect Don. (Don't pack it in just yet lol)
The system in place, where your potential customer fills in the request and then submits it, is a good idea in theory, and excellent for tracking details. But without an confirmation that the order has been received. It doesnt instill confidence that you've even got the order . It really does allow for people to bail, forget, give up. Whatever. And I agree it's rude. Happens to us all the time on the small stuff. But really, your giving them an out, especially during busy season and it's months before you can accommodate. You're letting yourself be taken advantage of and that's infuriating.

With that said. I wouldn't have even the slightest hesitation in the order process if you demanded payment up front. In fact that's how it needs to be. Being from a retail background for coming up on 25 years... Without skin in the game, they have no loyalties or commitments to you. We take deposits on everything, and have no problems keeping them them should the situation require it. All other string makers take payment first

Look after #1 first. You don't need bad customers to have a good business.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wabi

Post by wabi »

Don,
I would think the suggestion of 50% down payment (clearly stated non-refundable in the agreement to purchase) before you start a string would be a reasonable solution to try.
Also might add wording to say if you cannot contact them by the email address provided when the string is finished and/or they fail to respond to your notice it is finished within a certain time period (30 days?) the deposit will be forfeited and the string will be sold to another buyer.
wabi
mikej

Post by mikej »

Normous wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:09 am
I agree that's how I would handle it
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

50% deposit non-refundable when ordered and 50% paid when item is ready for shipment.
If you don't hear from them they lose deposit.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Yep full payment due upon request. Then you give them an estimated ship date. Just like amazon. Pay now and they ship it as soon as they can...:)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Don,
Here's my 2 cents. You need to sit down and re-evaluate what you are doing. Pick the top 2 or 3 things you really want to do, and then do those. Although it is "in" to be exhasuted all the time and have a schedule that runs us in circles...that is not how God intended you to live life. Build some margin into it. Have time to just sit and talk to someone who really needs that. Go hunting... take your wife on a date...whatever.

You can't add any more days to your life...but you CAN add more life to your days.

You said you wanted real suggestions... :mrgreen:

Besides, if making strings for anybody is high on your list, then this will cut down your lead-time, which I think would help. Another option is to limit your customer base to existing guys you trust..............

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

if you enjoy making strings and it doesn't strain -upset other activities - Please continue to do it!

As far as "BAILERS"

I personally WOULDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH EXPECTING 1/2 UP FRONT AS A DEPOSIT- if I wanted/ needed a string

Just have good conversation beforehand - if they pay up front and then if they change their mind - it's their loss -not yours at least u were compensated for time spent

even here good communications - that once the string is ready they got 2 weeks to pay the balance -which needs to be paid if full before the string is shipped - if no communication and time limit is up - sell to someone else

private business can be fickle when it comes to payment

close friend -construction backhoe- get a job go spend days working -= time fuel etc doing work -- then people stall or don't pay.

now he gets 1/2 up front or equipment doesn't leave the yard. PERIOD-, weeds out those who are "BAILERS"
Last edited by elkaholic on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.