Thoughts on deer decoys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ihunt

Thoughts on deer decoys

Post by ihunt »

Anyone using Deer decoys? What does folks here thinks about them pros cons?
Bucks or does? Any season bow or gun? Pre rut, during rut etc.?

Love to here your thoughts, thanks.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
longbow joe

Re: Thoughts on deer decoys

Post by longbow joe »

During the rut im never without my montana decoy.lt draws bucks doe alike l killed my biggest bucks with the decoy.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

When you have a good place to use one, they work great. I use both bucks and doe. Depends on what phase of the rut. Public land only in archery season! Private land at the edge of a cleared crop field works great during gun season. Sometimes it's just enough to bring a rut crazy buck out of the thickets.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:10 am
During the rut im never without my montana decoy.lt draws bucks doe alike l killed my biggest bucks with the decoy.
Buck or Doe?
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:48 am
When you have a good place to use one, they work great. I use both bucks and doe. Depends on what phase of the rut. Public land only in archery season! Private land at the edge of a cleared crop field works great during gun season. Sometimes it's just enough to bring a rut crazy buck out of the thickets.
Thanks good suggestions.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Go to Montana Decoy website, there are some videos, and tips, pretty good stuff on YouTube too. They are very easy to pack, and setup too!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

been using a miss November with a good smear of ever calm for the last 2 years decoys works pretty good. I think the best is the Montana silhouettes they are great, also very easy to pack in and out and set up IMO
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
Boo

Post by Boo »

It always weirds me out thinking of poachers, road hunters etc taking shots at decoys. When you're setting up, keep your safety in mind.
BTW, I read a long time ago of an older hunter using a white feather dangling in the breeze attracting other deer. I've always wanted to try that.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
artifact

Post by artifact »

You want my thought, well here goes!
Last week was archery season with the PA muzzleloader doe mixed in and the last three days of it juniors and seniors could use a rifle, there is no way I would want a doe decoy anywhere near me during that week! :lol:
That's just for that week though, I have never used a decoy but would be willing to try one during the rest of the archery season.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

As boo and the others said ...lts a better private property thing .watch carrying it in and out also.l use a doe decoy only. deer do not like being surprised . A decoy works better in a more open spot like a field edge. You definitely want to be up in a tree ....for safetys sake. Go on you tube theres tons of decoy videos form your own opinions.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Up a tree is right! Crap, you're not safe goose hunting either! We had a poor soul that was shot in the head with a 22 while he was in a layout blind. The perp was someone shooting from the road. Safety first! Deer can wait!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I have Scarface decoy that I carry out in a green U.S.NAVY sea bag. I have not had any fights with it yet.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I have been using a flambeau boss buck for a 3 years now.I was in the local TSC store and they had one on the shelf that had been there for about 4 years. I asked and the manager said he would give it to me 50% off so I bought it. I was going to hunt with a buddy in Kansas he told me to bring it and in fact if I could by an extra he would take it becuase they worked so great in achery season. I killed my biggest buck to date when he charged in to it in the woods. I had it placed inside a small clearing about 200 yards inside a thick woodlot. I grunted and rattled and this buck came flying in. When he saw the decoy he stopped postured and gave me a 20 yards shot. I have used it from the ground and from a tree. It can work like a charm as I have had several does come up and sniff it. I have also had many bucks approach it and leave. There ain't much more exciting as seeing a buck come in get all bristled up and pin his ears back and then charge the decoy. It can also suck as I had a solid 170 class deer come into along a field edge going to pass right in front of me at 20 yards but when he saw the decoy he stopped looked it for several minutes and then turned tail and left. If you do use one set it up so it is quartering to you and to your left if you are a right hand shooter. I have found most bucks either approach head on or if they come from the rear will circle to confront head on. You want the deer to end up in front of you and quartering away. If you do get one to come be prepared to shoot before he gets to the decoy because once they charge and make contact they will leave in a hurry. As far as getting shot over it its like using a tom decoy in the spring be aware of your surroundings and set up. I also would not set one up in gun season unless I was in a tree and set it out in a field about 100 yards away LOL
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I'm not sure how well decoys work for deer, but they sure do work.

My daughter and I set up a couple at the edge of a field and then hid in our blind. Well, every vehicle that drove past stopped for a look. One fellow was so eager to make out what he was looking at that he got out of his pickup truck. He stood in the box and peered. Then he got up onto the cab roof and peered some more.

It wasn't any surprise that we didn't see any deer, though. We were laughing so hard that there was no risk of any deer coming near us.

That was pretty good, but the coffee shop talk next day was that Conservation Officers were sure underhanded, setting up decoys like that. That was good for a chuckle too.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Ha ha. The first time I put mine out in a field behind my buddies house on his farm. I watched as he came charging out the door to confront the game warden that had the gall to put up a decoy to catch poachers on his farm. We laughed when he found out it was me. Man was he mad at first he didn't even recognize me. The first time i set mine in kansas i put it about 1000 yards from a road around a slight bend. Couldn't believe all the cars and trucks that slowed down to try and see it. Since then I don't set mine where it can be seen from the road period.