Thoughts on deer decoys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: Thoughts on deer decoys

Post by xcaliber »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm
Ha ha. The first time I put mine out in a field behind my buddies house on his farm. I watched as he came charging out the door to confront the game warden that had the gall to put up a decoy to catch poachers on his farm. We laughed when he found out it was me. Man was he mad at first he didn't even recognize me. The first time i set mine in kansas i put it about 1000 yards from a road around a slight bend. Couldn't believe all the cars and trucks that slowed down to try and see it. Since then I don't set mine where it can be seen from the road period.
Yes, they will attract DEER HUNTERS too! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

In Nov. I have to take my deer target in . Have lost two of them due bucks tearing them up it happened at night so I didn't see how it happened . but it was ovious what had happened. :lol:
W.M.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

artifact wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:51 pm
You want my thought, well here goes!
Last week was archery season with the PA muzzleloader doe mixed in and the last three days of it juniors and seniors could use a rifle, there is no way I would want a doe decoy anywhere near me during that week! :lol:
That's just for that week though, I have never used a decoy but would be willing to try one during the rest of the archery season.
I bet I was only one in woods hunting archery for buck that silly doe fill freezer week I hate so much ..YES road hunter after road hunter shooting out window ...I heard of 6 in-line lost doe and 5 archery lost doe just what I am hearing think how many were wounded and lost..

Now monday is archery bear kill mother with cubs my whole archery hunting is ruined ..Voice is saying Sproul pay lease and hunt privateland...
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Boo wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:42 pm
It always weirds me out thinking of poachers, road hunters etc taking shots at decoys. When you're setting up, keep your safety in mind.
BTW, I read a long time ago of an older hunter using a white feather dangling in the breeze attracting other deer. I've always wanted to try that.

Story time for Boo... :lol: We name our poachers here and one of them is BABY CHEWY ... :roll: Yes he is famous he shot ROBO DOE out window of truck at 9 am was arrested...Next day at 1;30 pm he shot ROBO DOE again guess what he said to wco...

WHERE DID I HIT HER THIS TIME..... :shock: They said right in motor and its going to cost you... :lol:

As paul harvey said GOOD DAY! :roll:
Trentco1

Post by Trentco1 »

Ain’t that cute :lol: :lol:
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Thanks for all the replies, wow :D To answer some questions I'm hunting on private land, we are two hunters ( he a weekend hunter and I'm anytime I want) on a 209 acres farm land. So I'm leaning on a montana doe decoy.
Love those decoy stories lol's
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
catclr

Post by catclr »

sproulman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:45 pm
Boo wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:42 pm
It always weirds me out thinking of poachers, road hunters etc taking shots at decoys. When you're setting up, keep your safety in mind.
BTW, I read a long time ago of an older hunter using a white feather dangling in the breeze attracting other deer. I've always wanted to try that.

Story time for Boo... :lol: We name our poachers here and one of them is BABY CHEWY ... :roll: Yes he is famous he shot ROBO DOE out window of truck at 9 am was arrested...Next day at 1;30 pm he shot ROBO DOE again guess what he said to wco...

WHERE DID I HIT HER THIS TIME..... :shock: They said right in motor and its going to cost you... :lol:

As paul harvey said GOOD DAY! :roll:
Good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You should enjoy success. Remember, right before the doe become receptive the competition is high on balanced areas of buck / doe ratios. A challenging buck right before the girls are ready, mixed in with some rattling goes a long way, and the action can be fast! Last week of October / first week of November here is MAGIC for this stuff. Have fun, and good luck! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
artifact

Post by artifact »

sproulman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:40 pm
artifact wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:51 pm
You want my thought, well here goes!
Last week was archery season with the PA muzzleloader doe mixed in and the last three days of it juniors and seniors could use a rifle, there is no way I would want a doe decoy anywhere near me during that week! :lol:
That's just for that week though, I have never used a decoy but would be willing to try one during the rest of the archery season.
I bet I was only one in woods hunting archery for buck that silly doe fill freezer week I hate so much ..YES road hunter after road hunter shooting out window ...I heard of 6 in-line lost doe and 5 archery lost doe just what I am hearing think how many were wounded and lost..

Now monday is archery bear kill mother with cubs my whole archery hunting is ruined ..Voice is saying Sproul pay lease and hunt privateland...
Last year you weren't the only one, I also archery hunted through the inline/rifle season. Figured it would be my luck that I would have the biggest buck I ever saw standing in front of me with the inline in hand. This year I shot a buck last Tues., never even went out with the inline or rifle. Funny part is, while I was finishing up trimming the last piece of meat from the buck, I looked over in a small opening just off the yard and there stood a doe and her two young ones at about 60yds! She was safe, I see her all the time and consider her like a neighbor.
Agree with you, what PA is doing anymore with these seasons is beyond ridiculous!
What you are talking about starts to add up also, lost doe during archery, ML, rifle, and FL I would bet adds up to quite a few doe across the state that aren't counted in the harvest reports but were still killed, same goes for buck. Gee, come to think of it, I have never seen the PGC put out an estimate of how many deer are killed by hunters but never retrieved and thus not reported, they seem to be good at estimating everything else!
Couple years ago a buddy found a buck that was shot during archery, I think 4 or 5 different guys called him to find out if it was the buck they lost, nope none of theirs!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Sproulster

Your "Baby Chewy" post gets the award for campfire story of the week...... :D :D :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.