Rage Crossbow X Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

galamb

Re: Rage Crossbow X Broadheads

Post by galamb »

We only tested the mechanicals.

From G5 we had the T3's and Tekan II's and the (new at the time) Havoc (which to me looks like the Tekan with minor updates).

The T3's got the best overall penetration (simply measured how how far they penetrated a solid foam block), but as I noted, they got damaged in the process.

I also recall the Meat Seekers (Trophy Ridge) were significantly damaged beyond shooting again - blades were bent up and had caused damage due to (over extension is the best way I can think to describe) - the blades actually cut into the rear of the head assembly which may be partly the reason the blades were all bent up.

I really should try again with my "new box" of broadheads. I now have a half dozen of the models from Dead Ringer which I personally shoot (sometimes - carry Stiletto's and Antler Insanity Battle Axe's in my quiver - I don't shoot further than 35 yards and have never found an expandable that shot poorly at that range "for me").

I'm of the opinion if Dead Ringer spent half as much on marketing as Rage does they would easily be twice as popular. And that's just my opinion but when I come back from a mfg's show I usually have more than dozen packs of broadheads from everyone that's trying to get me to sell "their stuff" and I do (target shoot) all of them just to see if there is something later/greater to put in the quiver.

The Battle Axe (hybrid) is the only one that has survived the challenge for more than 5 years - but I am an equal opportunity shooter and whatever is on the end of the arrow when I load the bow is what gets the nod for any given day in the field.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Billy...I agree. Many guys want their broadheads and FPs to shoot the same hole. But it just doesn't stand to reason. Broadheads have MUCH more surface area than a bullet FP and therefore have more drag. IMO if your broadheads hit just a bit lower, but in line with your FPs, then probably all is well and you simply adjust the scope. But if your BHs are off left and right, then they are planing (think of it as the arrows are spiraling down range and not spinning like a bullet) and you need to address the arrow issues. Since the arrow is spiraling you will typicaly be off left at one distance and the right or low or high at another distance.

Slick Tricks are awesome broadheads, but mine do not hit with my FPs. They are about 1" low. But RamCats do hit with my FPs.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

I agree with you Keith about the vertical vs lateral movement. I get the same results from tricks as you as well as FP POI with ramcats.

Billy
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I have had good luck with Rage 2-blades. I had a couple of premature deployments of the old "O-ring" style, but I solved that issue by putting a dental rubber band around the front of the closed blades.

I am now using the Crossbow X style with the red shock collars, I still use the dental rubber band, and I have great accuracy, nice blood trails, and huge exit wounds. Dropped a 10 pointer a couple of weeks ago... that fella didn't go 100 feet before dying mid-stride.....

I have never had a rage broadhead fail to deploy...then again I am using a matrix 380.....
venison

Post by venison »

Rage broadhead x 2.3 black shock collarI thought i would through this out there with the rage x crossbow broadhead people saying they having trouble with them deploying they worked fine for me ...I shot a doe saterday at 40 yds and took 2 steps and fellover sliced her heart completely in half broadhead made in china just like the one we pay 39 $$$ for which is ridiculous that are also made in china ,,I also shoot the rage hypodermic and shwackers with zero issues i guess ive been lucky so far in the last 15 years just saying :lol: :roll:
Looper21

Post by Looper21 »

I shot a buck with one last week with the rage crossbow with the blue collar and a Micro The deer was quartering away and I hit about 2 inches farther back than I liked and it came out right behind the shoulder. The buck went 35 feet and dropped stone dead Missed the heart but caught the diaphram and the lungs. My Luminock is another story It didn't light up. I use an old exocet and Swackers and all thought they killed I never got a pass through
Micro.slayer

Post by Micro.slayer »

Shot my Buck Nov.6 With Rage crossbow X 125 Broke his Back! Holes the size of a baseball.
He went down on his knees. Went nowhere (red collar)
Straight->Shooter

Post by Straight->Shooter »

Had to trim pic because it said file was too big but this went through a frozen pumpkin and 5” into half frozen mud. 15 yards shot from treestand after last bow hunt just to see if bow was shooting right on after the season.

No deployment, installed proper, been shooting rages for years...

Use the black collars!
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I shoot Ramcat hydroshock X and they shoot just like a field point .
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

I've heard good and bad about a lot of them, but some swhackers came with one of my crossbows and worked great on the deer. destroyed the one that went into an elm tree. the one that hit the deer went thru leg, thru heart, and out the other side with a micro 315 at 40 yds. a buddy of mine shoots a compound vertical and crossbow and said he was done with rage hypos. not sure why tho. I think he tries something new every year.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
Prmtvbowman22

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

I have taken 4 deer and a coyote with boltcutters out of my 350se but saw 150gr hypos and decided to try them this year. Shot a doe at 14yds dbl lung complete pass through incredible blood trail used red collars 1 blade hit a rib and broke.