Silencing options

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

typical10

Silencing options

Post by typical10 »

I see that excalibur has a a new bow with a number of limb, and string devices. What do you recommend for not spending cash on so so options. Going on a new Matrix 380 blackout. Thanks Jeff Haugland~
vixenmaster

Re: Silencing options

Post by vixenmaster »

I fer one don't put much on my Excals but others load theirs up. On the short limbed models i have a set of bumpers n thats it
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I agree! I’ve loaded my bow up with the S5 String Suppressors, rubberized the stirrup, rubberized the arrow retainer, Ex-Shox and a Flemish string. The only one that I noticed that made any difference was the string stops! They reduced the string oscillation and vibration. Crossbows will always be loud to the human ears, it’s just the nature of the beast! Good luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Attempting to quiet a crossbow is pointless for hunting purposes and can actually have a negative impact with the increased weight of the bow working against the shooter in offhand situations. What it comes down to is personal preference and how much money you want to spend so it's up to the individual to decide what's "worth it" to them.

On my old bow I wasted a bunch of money on sound dampening products and in the end there was zero difference from the deer's perspective, but there was a noticeable difference in the perceived weight of the bow as it was front heavy. My Bulldog has the S5 system, nothing else.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

X2 the s-5 and a set of catwhiskers for the string . You have to wire tie both sides of the knot with micro wire ties and the knot will stay tight. The catwhishers are about the only thing that actually makes a difference .....and the cheapest. The dr stririp bumpers are really tough and fit on the s-5 posts they seem to help a few percent.
After these cheap mods l forget about the noise.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Temper what you read with the fact that noise and noise level is subjective. It is not the same to everyone and certainly holds true to whether or not it's worth it. Keeping in mind that most of us here are no spring chickens :mrgreen: and add to that many professions and hobbies (shooting/rifle hunting/handgun shooting) has robbed many of us of our hearing, so don't be deterred to try or experiment with things that work for you.
While you'll never make any bow a silent deer killer, you'll make the bow more pleasurable for you to shoot. The only real plusses is that a more quiet bow may not spook other deer further away and generally, the more silenced bows will show less jump/shock on the shot which will let you see you arrow hit it's mark. Watching your arrow through the scope is invaluable to more accurate shooting.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Boo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:15 am
Temper what you read with the fact that noise and noise level is subjective. It is not the same to everyone and certainly holds true to whether or not it's worth it. Keeping in mind that most of us here are no spring chickens :mrgreen: and add to that many professions and hobbies (shooting/rifle hunting/handgun shooting) has robbed many of us of our hearing, so don't be deterred to try or experiment with things that work for you.
While you'll never make any bow a silent deer killer, you'll make the bow more pleasurable for you to shoot. The only real plusses is that a more quiet bow may not spook other deer further away and generally, the more silenced bows will show less jump/shock on the shot which will let you see you arrow hit it's mark. Watching your arrow through the scope is invaluable to more accurate shooting.
I could not agree more . When I first got my crossbows it was hard to see the arrow hit the target ,but after I tamed it a little I can see my arrow with no problems .
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
tipnchip

Post by tipnchip »

You will never quit your bow as fare as a deer is concerned. I blew a shoot this year because of noise.
Had the deer ranged at 35 yrds. when I flipped the safety off on my matrix 330,uasally I easy the safety off. At any rate it had a slight click to it and the deer came alert at the sound and wasted no time walking back into the woods.I do have bumpers and camo tape on the limbs. The tape was mainly for sun glare. Would like to do some thing with the stock to but I don't think the tape would hold and I don't want to paint. I know set in the shade but that is not always possible.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

All valid opinions offered here but I just go with the bumpers my self I got used to the noise and it is about the last noise the deer ever hears.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
mikej

Post by mikej »

How did you rubberize the stir up and bolt retainer ?
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

mikej wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:34 pm
I forgot about the stir up I wrapped mine in tire inner tube rubber and then in cloth camo tape not a big difference in sound but it also protects the stir up.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Boo

Post by Boo »

tipnchip wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:33 pm
You will never quit your bow as fare as a deer is concerned. I blew a shoot this year because of noise.
Had the deer ranged at 35 yrds. when I flipped the safety off on my matrix 330,uasally I easy the safety off. At any rate it had a slight click to it and the deer came alert at the sound and wasted no time walking back into the woods.I do have bumpers and camo tape on the limbs. The tape was mainly for sun glare. Would like to do some thing with the stock to but I don't think the tape would hold and I don't want to paint. I know set in the shade but that is not always possible.
This is a good illustration of a lower chance of a score. If an alert deer comes in, your chances of nailing it is lower. Your percentage goes down even more if it is looking at you and you take the shot, it will see limb flex and visual alerts are far more alerting than noise. Predators don't make a whole lot of noise when they launch at their prey but the movement cannot be helped. Your best percentage is a calm deer, looking away, ears pointing away and busy doing something like eating or smelling something.
BTW, keeping pressure (pushing forward) on the safety lever while pushing up shuts up that click.
Boo

Post by Boo »

mikej wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:34 pm
Mike, you can buy a can of truck bed spray on liner or go to a shop that sprays on truck bed liners. The arrow retainer is more easily dealt with using double wall (self sealing) heat shrink tubing. Any electrician will have what you need.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I do not like to do anything to my bow that costs me arrow speed without giving me anything in return. As such, I only use a Flemish string, a heavier arrow (which does the most) and the string bumpers. The heavier arrow costs me speed but give me more arrow momentum which translates to better penetration so I view that as a good trade. The others do not cost me any speed. But it's all personal preference.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><