Spitfire Performance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Spitfire Performance

Post by SEW »

2 mnths ago, I shot a relatively large buck with a classic heart shot. Down within 50 yds. Nice passthru and blood trail. 446g arrow, 92 g insert, 125g SF, ~368’/sec.

Yesterday, same xbow, etc, shot a mature doe, about the same distance, 44 yards, mid chest shot, about 3-4 “ higher than ideal, looked just like one of those disgusting hunting shows where the deer runs off with most of the arrow sticking out. No blood trail, no passthru, deer went about 75 yards, arrow came out somewhere, found the deer still alive, shot it again.

Energy wasn’t a problem(118 ft lbs). Unfired, original Spitfire, 446g arrow, likely going about 345’/sec. Hit a rib on the way in. I’ve found it really hard to aim well enough to fit right in between those individual ribs!

Usually Spitfires go thru like going thru butter, but occasionally things like this. I’ve had this happen with FOCs also.

I’m considering using Griz Tricks again. Nothing equals a passthru other than the occasional DRT that I’ve had with FOCs.

Thoughts?
mchurch

Re: Spitfire Performance

Post by mchurch »

Have you looked at the veteran broadhead?
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

steve,
i have never had a spitfire not pass thru even when hitting ribs or shoulder blade. i use 100gr regular with vortex and the last 3 years the spitfire maxx with my 355. arrows are about 385tw, 80 grain brass. i have no idea of energy or speed. my shots are kept under 35 yards(usually 30 or less) maybe i have been lucky but spits will be the only bh in my quiver. maybe you just had one of those rare one time things that happen. if you have had past success with spits then is one shot that did not go as expected really enough to warrant switching?....jmo
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Totally a guess here but that is kind of a long shot ,perhaps the deer reacted to the noise and was just starting a sideways push off to run just as the bolt is getting their so the tip of the head is entering but the side ways push off redirects the shaft into floppy side ways action draining the penetration force from its straight momentum.
Kind of like when a nail gits a glancing blow from a hammer effect the nail goes sideways and you get no penetration.
Just a theory.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Shot yardage is well within yer Excals power, my opinion is the high up rib/chest was yer sole error. Shoot 1 rd up from brisket n tuck it tight to the leg pocket n its all over very quickly
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

gerald strine wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:59 am
Totally a guess here but that is kind of a long shot ,perhaps the deer reacted to the noise and was just starting a sideways push off to run just as the bolt is getting their so the tip of the head is entering but the side ways push off redirects the shaft into floppy side ways action draining the penetration force from its straight momentum.
Kind of like when a nail gits a glancing blow from a hammer effect the nail goes sideways and you get no penetration.
Just a theory.
I was thinking the same thing. There's plenty of power at that distance, but its darn near a guarantee the deer will move some before the arrow gets there. How much it moves depends on the deer and the situation. Hitting 3-4" high ain't bad and might be an expected reaction. I've seen them drop more than a foot at that distance or turn 180 degrees.

The season before last we had a couple banded Spitfire XXX that didn't pass through. Both of those were about 30 yards shots but contacted heavy bone. Mine went through the far shoulder and stopped just under the skin. My arrow is a somewhat lighter ~375gr arrow at ~325 fps. Something heavier would have surely passed through. I don't fault the broadhead at all given the shot placement. In both cases the deer didn't go 75 yards and left plenty of blood from the huge entrance.

Another possibility? Maybe a dull blade or two.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Every shots different .....end result deer was recovered. 40 yards is basically kinda far . You did good l wouldnt worry about it. Im a big spitfire fan but im seeing in my kills that the excalibur xact cut im using this year is definitely penitrating further than the spits. It has a sharper point as well . This head was designed for our bows ....no banding needed.l think im gonna be using the xact cut from now on instead. Give it a look im sure you will find it a little tougher than the spits as well.These mechanicals with their exact pin point field point accuracy and the simple safety of not having a giant open blade broadhead is golden. Ive shot the ramcats with great acuracy but who needs a giant blade that hardly fits in a quiver .And in the end my exact cut penetrates literally equal ive tried it.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I personally prefer shooting an aluminum arrow with a 150grn Boltcutter. Never had any problems with complete pass through. 2 years ago I tried shooting a carbon arrow made by Deer Crossing Archery. Shot a doe from a ground blind broadside at approx. 18yards. Shot about 2" higher than a normal heart shot and the arrow did not pass through completely. Had a total of 11"(arrow was 20") still inside the deer. The deer rolled down a hill and luckily died there. All the blood had filled inside the deer and there was no blood trail to follow. I switched back to aluminum arrows and have not had any problems with complete pass throughs. I know most hunters like carbon arrows but,for me I prefer aluminum with a fixed broadhead(150grn BoltCutter).
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I like the Sonic Bolt from American Broadhead. Cut on contact, razor sharp replaceable blades, fixed head and flies to exact same spot as my field points. I'm not sure of the cost - Dad pays for them!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

XB I GO wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:39 pm
I like the Sonic Bolt from American Broadhead. Cut on contact, razor sharp replaceable blades, fixed head and flies to exact same spot as my field points. I'm not sure of the cost - Dad pays for them!
The Bolt Sonic crossbow ones are $49.95 for 6 broadheads. $12.95 for replacement blades. Never heard of them so I looked them up.
https://www.americanbroadhead.com/shop

I'll stay with my Carbon Express Torrid SS broadheads.

Shot placement and sometimes a little luck is the key no matter what broadhead you use.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I never shot the sonic but i have killed both bear and deer with the boltcutter same cut as the sonic.Great head but the blood trails were night and day between a spitfire /xact compared to the boltcutter... where i hunt in jungley se pa. a blood trail is most important or you got a lost deer.I will agree that the boltcutter and sonic have superior penitration. Im a double lung shooter so basically any head I shoot goes thru that i shoot so if i can get more blood with a wider cut im up for the trade.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

XB I GO wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:39 pm
I have never tried those but they look good I like the design of the compact and tuff looking.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/american-broadhead-co-bolt-sonic-replacement-blade?a=454853
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Not a "Long shot" by any means.
I have made a LOT further many many times with the spits, and on all but one occasion have seen a complete pass through.
Matrix 380, 400 grains all in. 125 Spitfires.

The ONLY time I did not see the pass through was on a 300+lb Mulie. Check my thread The Badlands Buck on this Forum.
Arrow smoked the offside heavy bone just below the shoulder. Broke that bone in several places, and the arrow.
Did not exit. As I recall that buck went about 50 or so yards.
Shot was 65 yards.
That wasn't your issue IMO.

Placement was.

I have taken a couple dozen critters with the 125 grain Spitfire thus far.
I am sticking with them due to their exemplary performance.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
SEW

Post by SEW »

A few more comments.
A low drag arrow actually bleeds off speed much less than many believe.
A 446g arrow going at least 345’/sec has tons of energy. 118’ lbs is a phenomenal amount of energy for an arrow.
I’ve used Spitfires ever since they first came as 2 blade versions, followed the next year by the 3 blade version.over 50 deer killed with the SF and no losses. However, a few were like this one.
I spin test and weigh every Spitfire or any broadhead but don’t shoot any expandible prior to usage. The hardest acceleration from any xbow is from a M405 (all 290# hitting the nock at once with no letoff). Still don’t band SFs unless the blades have been opened- then I do. Using Lumenocks, I watched the arrow and deer thru 8x from shot to hit. I shot from a blind with just a small part of the window open. The deer didn’t move prior to the hit.
Distance and chance of the deer moving: the head was going down with the ears facing away - highly unlikely that the deer would move in the 0.37 sec of arrow flight.
Back to Griz Tricks: even though I’ve killed at least 80% of the deer I’ve shot within the last 30 years with expandibles, I’m missing not always having passthrus and good blood trails every time . I’ve only killed 3-4 deer with Griz Tricks, but got great blood trails. They shoot dead on with SFs to 50 yds, then start to drop to where they are 2” low at 80 yds, 4” by 100 ever though they weigh about 1-2 g less than the SFs.
I think with vertical archery, expandibles help by hitting virtually where field points hit verses fixed BHs. However, with railed xbows, I’ve found both expandibles and fixed hit very close to fieldpoints.
Just some thoughts.

The exac cut is interesting. I’ll investigate. Thanks to all.
I’ve just nearly finished my 61st year of “archery” deer hunting.
Varmint hunting with a xbow is a great confidence builder and practice for deer/bear hunting.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thats a lot a hunting years sew congrats and hope theres many more. I bet you remember your first deer like it was yesterday dont ya?