Good BH Target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Good BH Target

Post by nchunterkw »

Been trying to sight in for an upcoming pig hunt and had to pull the trigger on a new BH target as my Rinehart 18:1 has given up the ghost. Was looking around for something I could buy off the shelf and decided to give this a try. It's the Cabela's Elite Stop Crossbow Target

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/archery/archery-targets/crossbow-targets/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104624280/i/337646880/cabelas-elite-stop-crossbow-target/1579181.uts?slotId=5

So far, I like it very much. Its very similar to the Rinehart material and stops my 450gr Slick Trick tipped arrows after about 7" - 8" of penetration. Looks like it will hold up as well as a Rinehart....but those only last me about 2 seasons.. and it has 6 bigger shooting faces, which I like. Also, since I'm shooting a Micro with 16" arrows......if it does start getting weaker....in one dimension it is only 13" so if arrows bury to the fletchings, I shoudl be able to pull them through. I've had a few get completely buried in my 18:1 as it was wearing out making them a pain to get out.

Anyway, another alternative....but pretty much the same $$ so no help there.

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Re: Good BH Target

Post by longbow joe »

I have a block it has held up for 3 years and going strong. I mainly use it to test a my expandables now and then so im not a true user. I use a bag most of the time being pretty much spot on as the Field points l find not needed it that much.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use the 18-1, and just before the season starts I shoot the broadheads at 20, through to 40 yards, and adjust to them if needed. I mostly use the bag with field points like Joe.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

One of the newest (and best in my opinion) innovative targets out of the ATA this year was The High Roller 21 by Morrell. I have been looking for a quality do it all target and the High Roller will get my wallet to open toward my next target purchase this year.

This target easily stopped a broadhead tipped arrow shot from a 460 fps Scorpyd Aculeus and exhibited easy arrow removal.

Step aside 18-1, there is a better target in town called the High Roller, and all for $99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I3rWGrnFZY
and
https://www.morrelltargets.com/products/high-holler-21-combo-target
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

That high roller looks very promising indeed. Thanks for the links.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Normous wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:40 pm
One of the newest (and best in my opinion) innovative targets out of the ATA this year was The High Roller 21 by Morrell. I have been looking for a quality do it all target and the High Roller will get my wallet to open toward my next target purchase this year.

This target easily stopped a broadhead tipped arrow shot from a 460 fps Scorpyd Aculeus and exhibited easy arrow removal.

Step aside 18-1, there is a better target in town called the High Roller, and all for $99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I3rWGrnFZY
and
https://www.morrelltargets.com/products/high-holler-21-combo-target
Sounds great!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Yep that high roller looks good too, but I needed something today....so....Probably my next one though.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Good luck on your pig hunt Keith.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I have dedicated broadheads that I practice with I have made a 3 sided raised sand pit with a cover I shoot into easy two finger removal and it never wares out.
I keep a rag to wipe bolt between shots to remove dust on shaft.
I just use cardboard and make a bulls eye with a marker and fire away.
When hunting season comes I just screw on a new head and am set to go.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

nchunterkw wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:59 am
Been trying to sight in for an upcoming pig hunt and had to pull the trigger on a new BH target as my Rinehart 18:1 has given up the ghost. Was looking around for something I could buy off the shelf and decided to give this a try. It's the Cabela's Elite Stop Crossbow Target

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/archery/archery-targets/crossbow-targets/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104624280/i/337646880/cabelas-elite-stop-crossbow-target/1579181.uts?slotId=5

So far, I like it very much. Its very similar to the Rinehart material and stops my 450gr Slick Trick tipped arrows after about 7" - 8" of penetration. Looks like it will hold up as well as a Rinehart....but those only last me about 2 seasons.. and it has 6 bigger shooting faces, which I like. Also, since I'm shooting a Micro with 16" arrows......if it does start getting weaker....in one dimension it is only 13" so if arrows bury to the fletchings, I shoudl be able to pull them through. I've had a few get completely buried in my 18:1 as it was wearing out making them a pain to get out.

Anyway, another alternative....but pretty much the same $$ so no help there.

Keith
I have that target. Only the canadian version isnt black. Its natural foam with tbe green spots.
It was stopped hundreds of shots from 15 yards. And it still going strong.

2 downfalls
1) the rope handle goes into the foam and inch or two if you hit the rope with a broadhead. Unscrww the arrow and mark that spot. It now owns a broadhead.

2) use your finger and poke firmly on every square inch of the target. I found a big air bubble in behind one of the green spots. Made it very difficult to get that arrow out. Mark another spot not to shoot at.

But for $99 at the time. Its far more than paid for itself. The reviews for it at the time suggested that they were made for cabelas by rhinhard
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

I should also add that it heals up well. But i had a buddy shoot the same spot a few times in a row and it sliced out the pieces where the blades passed over the previous cut. But that happened with any target
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Prmtvbowman22

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

While driving home from work one day I saw a black square along the road with a sign saying free. Sure enough it was a block target with 4 field point holes in it. A nice addition to my bag target and mackensies at the perfect price.
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

I too recently purchased the cabella elite. My first broadhead target and so far I really like it. Wanted the 18/1 just didn't like the look of the octangle shape.i think the elite will be a keeper. Good luck with yours.a
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I use my 18-1 at both 20 and 30 yards but change to a fairly new and very solid 3d Javlina target at 40 yars and a farily shot out ( but I did turn the kill-zone around kill zone around this fall ) full size 3d "full rut" whitetail buck at 50 and beyond...

I remove all graphics on my shafts with acetone and wax them witth Carnuba car wax a couple times over the weeks prior to start of season while practicing with my Micro 335, 355 and Matrix 380.

I only use fixed blade Slick Tricks and G5 Montecs and find these targets sufficient in stopping my arrows and pretty easy to draw my arrows out once the head initially "lets go" with about the first 1/2 of draw.

I use 5/8" high Viz. adhesive dots and move them around to keep from shooting one spot out as needed.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I think a good idea for all of these targets would be to mount them so they hang.Then they would move a little bit with the shot making them last even longer. Maybe this summer I will try to design something. Thinking of a wood base for it to sit on with a small lip at the back. Then hang thre base kind of like an old style kids swing
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><