Assassin String advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BTC624

Assassin String advice

Post by BTC624 »

Well after 100 shots my center serving started to unravel (Where the claws grab the string) I have a back-up Excalibur micro String in ORANGE that I thought I would try and much to my surprise after 10 shots you can see some orange in the center serving so it’s already wearing after only ten shots. I use scorpion lube every 25 shots and only wax the string when it feels dry. Any advice to make my strings last a little longer? Don’t get me wrong this is the Only thing I find annoying but I read that after 100 shots out of a micro with this type of factory string that’s about what I should expect. Thoughts?
bigbowman

Re: Assassin String advice

Post by bigbowman »

Wow! I would think that the string & serving on a $1600 bow should last longer than 100 shots! It may be a bur on the trigger fingers that’s eating up the serving? Good luck hope you get it straightened out!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Is it wearing in two places or one? 100 shots is not a lot. Some bows (mine included) have slightly rough string hooks. Polishing the hooks will help greatly increase serving wear. Boo has a vid on how to do it. What I did was;
1. Place some masking tape across the barrel under the string hooks to keep metal dust out of the trigger box.
2. Wrap some 600 grit sand paper around a piece of 1/8 " steel rod tightly. Polish the insides of the hooks and hook edges.
3. Repeat step #2 with 800, and 1200 grit sandpaper.
4. For the final step I coat a piece of 1/4" soft rope with sharpening compund and go to work like Im flossing my teeth.
5. Blow away dust, remove tape and your good to go.
Remember, the idea is to gently remove the tiny imperfections on the latch faces. You can always sand a little more but you can't put it back if you get carried away.
Your other option is to return the bow to Excalibur to have them inspect and remedy. Either way, afterwards contact one of our stringmakers in the classifieds section. You wont regret it. Cheers,
Hank
P.S
Post a pic of the serving if you can.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

BTC624 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:39 pm
Well after 100 shots my center serving started to unravel (Where the claws grab the string) I have a back-up Excalibur micro String in ORANGE that I thought I would try and much to my surprise after 10 shots you can see some orange in the center serving so it’s already wearing after only ten shots. I use scorpion lube every 25 shots and only wax the string when it feels dry. Any advice to make my strings last a little longer? Don’t get me wrong this is the Only thing I find annoying but I read that after 100 shots out of a micro with this type of factory string that’s about what I should expect. Thoughts?
Excal will take care of you, I would contact them direct it you have not already. Good luck..
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
janesy

Post by janesy »

My micro 355 and hybrid are pretty tough on strings.
Factory trigger I would get less than 100. Boo trigger and triggertech extended that significantly, but now I tend to get separation more that fraying. The high pressure and tight angle just makes it what it is.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

One thing I don't do is wax the serving. It makes the serving soft thus more prone to separation. It's also gums up the trigger latches. a quick call to Excalibur CS will solve the problem.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

its also possible that the lube is contributing to the problem, i have been there and done that :oops: . i now use jigaloo spray, spray on rag first then wipe the rail.
good luck solving the issue
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

As Hank suggested, post a picture with the string on the bow at rest. That way we can help you better.
The strings are mass produced. So like on a fancy Mercedes, you get a bum tire on a rare occasion.
One possible source is not winding up your new string to have a slightly higher brace height. Giving the string a few extra twists will tighten up the serving and is pre-emptive in respect to string creep. When Danny is making factory strings at a rate of 50,000 strings per year. There's simply no time to put each string on a rack under hundreds of lbs of tension to get all the creep out. We after market string makers have the luxury of time and money to get most or all the creep out of the strings we make. My Force 10 strings take 20 shots or so to settle, but I spend an hour or more to make it. Most of the time I spent is removing the creep.
Please don't be offended by the situation. In the grand scheme of things, this is no biggie.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Very well stated. I'm also one that does not wax the center serving. It's a good idea for other serving materials, but not Angle Majesty in my opinion.
Last edited by xcaliber on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Maybe that's contributing to my excellerated serving separation.
I wax, but not excessively. Ill try the next round without wax and see if it makes a difference
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
BTC624

Post by BTC624 »

Wow a lot of GREAT RESPONSES HERE,I really want to thank you guys. This minor annoyance is just that Minor and a easy fix, I now have 140 shots thru this Assassin and will say this thing shoots lights out with those custom arrows I got from Jerry at South Shore Archery. I will take your advice and try some of the recommendations you suggested. I’m having a hard time posting pics for some reason. I click on the add files under the attachments folder below my photo gets written below but doesn’t appear in the body of my message when I preview it. says board quota is full :?:
janesy

Post by janesy »

BTC624 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:27 am
Wow a lot of GREAT RESPONSES HERE,I really want to thank you guys. This minor annoyance is just that Minor and a easy fix, I now have 140 shots thru this Assassin and will say this thing shoots lights out with those custom arrows I got from Jerry at South Shore Archery. I will take your advice and try some of the recommendations you suggested. I’m having a hard time posting pics for some reason. I click on the add files under the attachments folder below my photo gets written below but doesn’t appear in the body of my message when I preview it. says board quota is full :?:
Give up on uploading on the board. Host them at imgur or something and then link them here, so much easier
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
BTC624

Post by BTC624 »

Lets try this link for a pic cocked and see if this helps

https://i.imgur.com/uNr4bmF.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/CxDfw

These are after 45 shots
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I would recommend getting the latches polished up. That's a good thing about getting a new bow wayyyyy before hunting season starts, you get to work out all the bugs. You got a chewer there.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!