Rope cocker or c2 crank?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

seabee401

Rope cocker or c2 crank?

Post by seabee401 »

How many of you have to use a crank for matrix 350 or higher draw bows? At what point in draw weight of any of the newer matrix or micro is it necessary to use a crank? And if you do use a crank exclusively to cock your bow , do you consider it a hassle or a liability? The 350 is all I can cock with rope cocker but even that gets my bad back and shoulders hurtin after a few shots. Just curious.
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
Boo

Re: Rope cocker or c2 crank?

Post by Boo »

Do not stress your body without reason. There's no prize involved with manually cocking your bow. If you are borderline in cocking your bow, go get a crank (the new one is the bomb!) and leave the rope cocker for emergencies (when you get an old age brain fart and you forget your crank :shock: )
Although I'm on the mend, my back is no friend of mine at the moment so I use a crank for my bows heavier than the 315 Micro or the 330 Matrix. I absolutely do not want to suffer even a tiny bit while or after shooting my bows. It's supposed to be fun right?
We are all different in health, age and height so just keep in mind the expression that says "when the pleasure outweighs the pain". Think about the old days when we all thought a 70 lb compound was the way to go. We were wrong. Many ended up with shoulder surgery. My 50/60 lb compounds zip through whitetails like a fart in the wind! I'm actually trying not to buy a new Bowtech compound but if I can't resist it will be a 50/60 lb bow as well as a Charger (new Excal crank) this year :mrgreen: . Call me a wuss, I'm mature enough to not care! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

I can rope cock my 350 easily(long as my back isn't acting up) but...............since I never know when the old back is gonna get squirrely ; in addition golf is my other passion,and having to work for a living, I use my C2 98 per cent of the time.
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I started strength training again. I am a month in to it and sore is an understatement. If it was hunting season now I would be using the crank.. Lol

This is the advantage of using a compound crossbow as well. Much easier to cock however they can be a pain if they get out of tune..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

I will easily admit to using the C2 crank whenever I can on my BD400. I always carry a rope cocker in my pack just in case of a second shot but my body highly prefers the crank when possible.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Boo wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 pm
Do not stress your body without reason. There's no prize involved with manually cocking your bow.
I agree!! If your back is good now why stress it if you don't have to. You may think your are getting away with no damage but in time it adds up. At least that's the way it was with me.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Struggled for years on the edge using the rope cocker.
Quicker mind you to load your bow with the rope cocker which is why I resisted a C2 for years.
However decided to make the leap last year and buy a C2 .
Turns out it was worth its weight in gold.
Long shooting sessions are much more pleasurable now along without the dreaded day after back discomfort as a reminder of every shot I took the day before.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I use the crank with all my excaliburs even the Matrix 330 as my right arm /hand is weaker and sometimes don't work at all due to the ms and I have a heck of a time using a rope . Yes I can cock it by rope depending on the day but not to many times . I will be getting the new crank as soon as they are in stock.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use one for the 355 Micro. Like said, it's not a competition! Do what your body tells you to do.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
roly

Post by roly »

Now that I use the c2 with my Micro... I realize I should have started using it a long time ago.
SEW

Post by SEW »

These are a great group of posts!
Boo's post contains my thoughts virtually entirely.
There are muscles and ligaments. We can do things with our muscles that damage our ligaments. Like drawing heavy bows. The older we get, the greater this disparity gets. I'm 70 yet can still shoot a compound well >70#. Why? Because , except for 1 year, I normally shot bows below 60#. Little or no damage to my shoulders.

THE BACK!!! YOUR BACK!!!

Rope cocking a crossbow uses leg, arm, shoulder and back muscles; but the strain is almost exclusively on the back, discs primarily. I think there is more potential for back damage (especially if you're older) with a xbow than shoulder damage with a vbow. I can easily rope cock my M380 and can cock my M405s. I never do it. The C-2 does it.

Prevention is much easier and SMARTER than rehabilitation. Incidentally, rehabilitation usually doesn't fully occur.

We only have one back and one shooting shoulder. Many of us can live with a damaged / compromised shoulder. The back is a different situation!
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Awesome replies and incentives. I'm not old, will be 48 in a few weeks. But my body parts , like many others on here are a little banged up from work, weight lifting and some stupid things I've done when I was younger!😨 Now I'm paying the price with my chronic injuries and repairs. I guess I should have paced myself! Lol! But the message from brain to body is a hard habit to break. I have a hard time coming to terms with " work smarter not harder!" But I guess a lot of us are in the same boat. So its time for me to Get smart now. I was actually considering selling my 350se and buying a Matrix 310 just so I could avoid the C2 crank! Now that's stupid \ stubborn :lol: ! Like was stated , crossbows are used for many reasons besides fun. One is to preserve our body parts. Or what's left of them! :roll:
Thanks for the input from everyone. Now I'm gonna go put an ice pack on my shoulder and look up the new crank! Lol! :lol:
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
SEW

Post by SEW »

Seabee401,
You’ve made the correct decision.
catclr

Post by catclr »

From what I read the new crank will not work on the Matrix 355, correct?
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
Boo

Post by Boo »

catclr wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:58 pm
From what I read the new crank will not work on the Matrix 355, correct?
To my knowledge it will work on your 355 Matrix
Some people just like stepping on rakes