Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

Re: Aluminun Arrows

Post by gerald strine »

michigan man wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:43 pm
W.Miguire wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 pm
If you folks are looking for inserts there is a firm that makes them . Try , www.ethicsarchery.com 980 429 2070 they will set you up . I have been using them for a long while now . [ spinning insert]
W.M.
Which one of their inserts would fit a 2219?
https://ethicsarchery.com/products/ethics-archery-crossbow-spinning-insert-302-303?variant=58829184779
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

gerald strine wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:26 pm
racking up points wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 am
With these high poundage bows stiffer and straighter is best. I don’t understand why anyone would prefer a lesser arrow. What is it about aluminum, other than price, that you like?
I have been shooting aluminum arrows for over 40 years and they are in my opinion not inferior to carbon arrows in any way,
yes they can get bent but carbon arrows can splinter a quick spin of the arrow on my palm tells me if my arrow is bent in seconds.
Aluminum are cheaper for the most part a XX75 shaft is of plenty quality for all hunting needs and yes as stated if you are shooting a micro you can get 2 bolts from one shaft.

I have had vein adhesion issues with carbon arrows and very rarely with Aluminum,
I have twice shoot deer with carbon arrows and hit bone on the far side and had carbon arrows shatter in pieces in the cavity I believe from the leg movement as the deer ran and the bolt was lodged in bone on the far side , makes for a hazardous gutting job a aluminum in this case could also break / bend but not in the sharp splinter fashion the carbon bolts do.
And at the moment I have 11 Autumn Orange XX75 2219 shafts from the 1980es My favorite Easton shaft color/ pattern of all easy to find after a shot
2219 shafts are very durable I have killed 5 deer with the same shaft, just rinse it off but in new blades and hunt, currently this bolt I am refering to is leaning on a tree in Houghton lake ware I found it after it went through a 9 point last fall I forgot to pick it up after recovering my deer on the way out but i will get it next fall I know ware it is and I am sure no one else will be back their,I just hope the slick trick does not rust out to bad as to be unusable it is a cherished 175 gr head.
Anyway aluminum shafts are my go to and I have a bunch of carbon just setting in the basement lonely backups.

Carbons are plenty tough...at least Zombie Slayers are. See my recent thread on my last Hog Hunt. I put a ZS 4" into a big boar's skull and dropped him on the spot. But I have had a few broken shafts in animals. I bison broke off an Easton FMJ that was similar to what you described. BH buried in bone on the off side. ANd that arrow is both Al and carbon. And I have had 1 other break as it went through a deer shoulder blade in OH....but that was a Horton arrow, not a ZS. But I've not had one splinter.

Still, it don't matter. Shoot what you like and what you can shoot accurately and with great confidence.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

That's absolutely awesome... I ordered 2 dozen inserts from them! The ID of a 2219 arrow should be about (22 / 64) - .038... or .30575". I've never measured the exact ID myself, so that's just based on how Easton's numbering system works, and thus might be an approximation. Anyhow, I ordered the .305" static inserts; both a 60 grain pack and a 90 grain pack. The guy on the phone told me the inserts were made out of stainless steel, and he had them in his hand as we spoke.

Thanks much for the tip on where to find these!
~E
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Ekkie wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 pm
That's absolutely awesome... I ordered 2 dozen inserts from them! The ID of a 2219 arrow should be about (22 / 64) - .038... or .30575". I've never measured the exact ID myself, so that's just based on how Easton's numbering system works, and thus might be an approximation. Anyhow, I ordered the .305" static inserts; both a 60 grain pack and a 90 grain pack. The guy on the phone told me the inserts were made out of stainless steel, and he had them in his hand as we spoke.

~E
hey what is the phone number I did not see it in the sight.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

W.Miguire wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 pm
If you folks are looking for inserts there is a firm that makes them . Try , www.ethicsarchery.com 980 429 2070 they will set you up . I have been using them for a long while now . [ spinning insert]
W.M.
As per the post above, their phone number is 980-429-2070

Good luck,
~E
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Thank you E
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

No problem. And thanks to W.Miguire for the original info. I'll report back here when I get the inserts and build / test some arrows.

~E
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I use Easton XX75 aluminum arrows in 2216 size cut at 19 inch's for my 380 Matrix. I use an aluminum insert in the front and a Easton plastic flat nock in the rear, and three 2 inch Blazer vanes with as much helical as my Bitzenberg fletcher will give it, no weights added. The entire completed arrow with a 100 grain point weighs 388 gr. I am getting 378 fps with this setup based on chronograph testing and my accuracy from 10- 50 yards is excellent.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.org/image/ou2iydmcb/]Image[
I jam an extra grinded down insert in my 2216s and 2219s for extra foc behind the front one wit a screw in the bugger. .. Used with a 125 grain head . They fly like a dart.. and blow thru any deer . I cant find any brass inserts for these sizes. Aparently horton made them at one time
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

Ekkie wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 pm

~E
Please let me know how well, these work out for you... Thanks J.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

longbow joe wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:54 pm
[url=https://postimg.org/image/ou2iydmcb/]Image[
I jam an extra grinded down insert in my 2216s and 2219s for extra foc behind the front one wit a screw in the bugger. .. Used with a 125 grain head . They fly like a dart.. and blow thru any deer . I cant find any brass inserts for these sizes. Aparently horton made them at one time
What is the screw for? Added weight? Good idea... Thanks, J.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

WOW! Thanks guys... I was not expecting this many replies. Always learning something new, on here. :mrgreen:
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Glad to help . I have been their spinning inserts for 4 yrs. now and love them they do all they say they will do . they go out of there way to help you good people .
W.M.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The screw (home depot ) just adds weight you can put a longer heavier if you wish. Grinded down insert is only gonna get you about 25 grains. Just make sure to epoxy everything in ,even the screw.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

gerald strine wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:26 pm
racking up points wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 am
With these high poundage bows stiffer and straighter is best. I don’t understand why anyone would prefer a lesser arrow. What is it about aluminum, other than price, that you like?
I have been shooting aluminum arrows for over 40 years and they are in my opinion not inferior to carbon arrows in any way,
yes they can get bent but carbon arrows can splinter a quick spin of the arrow on my palm tells me if my arrow is bent in seconds.
Aluminum are cheaper for the most part a XX75 shaft is of plenty quality for all hunting needs and yes as stated if you are shooting a micro you can get 2 bolts from one shaft.

I have had vein adhesion issues with carbon arrows and very rarely with Aluminum,
I have twice shoot deer with carbon arrows and hit bone on the far side and had carbon arrows shatter in pieces in the cavity I believe from the leg movement as the deer ran and the bolt was lodged in bone on the far side , makes for a hazardous gutting job a aluminum in this case could also break / bend but not in the sharp splinter fashion the carbon bolts do.
And at the moment I have 11 Autumn Orange XX75 2219 shafts from the 1980es My favorite Easton shaft color/ pattern of all easy to find after a shot
2219 shafts are very durable I have killed 5 deer with the same shaft, just rinse it off put in new blades and hunt, currently this bolt I am refering to is leaning on a tree in Houghton lake ware I found it after it went through a 9 point last fall I forgot to pick it up after recovering my deer on the way out but i will get it next fall I know ware it is and I am sure no one else will be back their,I just hope the slick trick does not rust out to bad as to be unusable it is a cherished 175 gr head.
Anyway aluminum shafts are my go to and I have a bunch of carbon just setting in the basement lonely backups.
WOW! you are lucky to have the Autumn orange XX75's It would be nice if they still made them...