Opinions Please - what to buy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NonTypicalCPA

Opinions Please - what to buy?

Post by NonTypicalCPA »

I've got a hankerin for a new bow. I've been a one bow guy, Matrix 380, but the time has come to add a backup. I'm leaning towards the new 308 short. Any other suggestions?
Tangle Eye

Re: Opinions Please - what to buy?

Post by Tangle Eye »

What about the Assassin? Lots of features (crank, great trigger).
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Depends on where you are in life in terms of age, and ability. If you need to use a Crank, then I think anything is possible. I like my Micro 355, and find it fits all of my hunting needs. That said, variety is the spice of life.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

I think if I was going to purchase a brand new bow right now I would give serious consideration to the Bulldog 330. It has perfect balance, can be cocked with rope cocker fairly easy (even with my back issues) and is less noisy than most other models that I have shot. But it all comes down to your personal preferences.

Please note that I have not shot the Assassin so I have no opinion on that particular bow.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

I like the BD 330 as well.
I did however own a bd380 for a couple minutes, and it shouldered very very nicely, balanced well. Then it got chopped up hahaha!

Now that I've held and fired the bulldog layout. I won't go back. Its just better in every aspect.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

Either the 330 Matrix or 330 Bulldog is what I would get. Easy cocking and still fast!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Shoot any of the Micro models a few times. That's all I carry to the woods now. All the speed you need and very easy to handle in tight spaces. That cocking thing though...well, you get what you pay for.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

I purchased a 330 Bulldog about six weeks ago.For me it was a good decision very accurate and easy to cock.I smile every time i shoot it .Great bow
If you could shoot one and make your decision.
NonTypicalCPA

Post by NonTypicalCPA »

The BD330 wasn't even on the radar. Now I'm going to have to go shoot one. The assassin is interesting, but I like the simplicity of the rope cocker both for cocking and uncocking. I'm drawn to the short due to its short length, but wish it had a bit more speed.
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

I shot the Short Banshee and was sold on it and had decided to buy one. Then I saw a Micro 335 Nightmare listed here and couldn't pass it up for the price. I saved myself about $250... Anyway, I am going to be 66 yrs old in 2 months. I am only 5' 10" and not a big framed guy. I have no problem cocking the 335. Anyway my point is the Micro 335 is only slightly larger than the Short but is faster than than the Short if speed is your concern.... good luck in your search with whatever you decide to purchase.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I'll go along with Dan in suggesting a Micro.... I have both a camo gen ll 335 and a camo 355 Micro. :wink:

For deer either is great ! When heading out into the jungle on the WA coast for elk... even though I have a perfectly good Matrix 380, I pick up my 355 Micro as it gets thru that brushy coastal jungle much easier, handles better and still provides plenty of performance when the TT trigger gets pulled.

I have had the deltoid muscle re-attached in my right shoulder and rotator cuff surgery on the left one, and at 67 ( come Mar 31'st ) I can still cock all of my bows without the necessity of a crank... Maybe that day will come, but the C2 will most likley still be available and fit all of my bows should that time happen. :roll:

I have noticed the prices dropping on the Micros since the new models have released, so that could be a bonus. I got my last 355 Micro at Cabelas on closeout with C-2 crank ( I gave that to a good friend on here for Xmas ), air brakes, tactzone, cat whiskers and what excal calls "Limb Brake Pads" as well as the remainder of of "Light Package for
$ 480 with my 5% veterans discount... ( yep :mrgreen: I did " turn " that one for a slight " profit ", as that was my intention when I found it at that price ). 8) 8)

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

If you are really just looking for a Backup bow I would look for good deal on a used bow the old long limb models are still great bows can be found at reasonable prices something like a vortex , equinox can be found at about half of what A new 308 will cost and kill everything just as dead.
Now if you are just wanting a 308 I am in the same boat with you and I say go for it the handling and size of it make it attractive to me and as I age I think those features will be more appreciated.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.