Thoughts on 308 Short

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dithian

Thoughts on 308 Short

Post by dithian »

Hi Everyone,

Just curious about people's thoughts on the 308 Short. I live FAAAAAAR away from anywhere I could try one. I'm specifically interested in whether the smaller size is really all that noticeable compared to the Micro 335, which is my current go-to crossbow. I also have a Matrix 330. Smaller has proven better for my purposes, but I wonder at what point small vs. loss of power will be a factor. I really can't justify owning three crossbows (to my wife), so if I picked up a 308, I'd probably have to let go of the 330 or the 335. That would be sort of like giving up a lobe of my liver which, given my habits, would be unwise. Anyway, for those of you who have tried them all, how does the 308 stack?
Cw.abeljr

Re: Thoughts on 308 Short

Post by Cw.abeljr »

I shot the 308 Banshee at the Harrisburg Great Outdoor Show. I really liked it a lot and had made up my mind to buy one. I ran across a used Micro 335 Nightmare priced that I just couldn't pass up. There isn't a lot of difference in size that is noticeable when handling(at least not to me). I did notice it is easier to cock. I don't think you can go wrong with either crossbow. Personally, if I already owned a 335 Micro I would stay with it. If I didn't and was not worried about speed, I would buy the 308 for the easier cocking.....Hope this helps a little.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

My Serenity is awesome.!! :D
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

For me you already have 2 great bows. The 308 although nice to have won't do anything for you other than grow your collection.. Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

That bows got my interest also .....but im all dialed in for turkey with my matrix n vixen ....and its fishing season ......l will dwell on it till july. I shot one about twenty times n loved it. My 305fps lbex shot thru a 200 pound buck lengthwise this year so im really not afraid that the same power (305 fps) is not enough lol..
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

You mentioned already having a Micro 335.... Is it a gen 1 or 2 ? If it's a gen 1 you can make it into a Micro 315 by simply putting your current limbs into a gen 2 riser and mounting it to your Micro gen 1 335 rail which has a 9 1/2" power stroke :thumbup:

This could put you into a slighty easier drawing bow way cheaper than buying a whole new bow. You could very likey even come up with a gen 2 riser should you decide to offer your gen 1 riser in trade if you decide you no longer have a need for a Micro 335 ?

Another option would be to pick up a set of blem limbs from Dawn for I think $80 ( but have heard possibly $100 now ? ) Those limbs mounted using a new set of limb straps and bolts ( see if Dawn will send you a set of the new ones now in production on all current models ) on the new gen 2 riser would allow you to keep your original 335 riser and limbs in tact should you again want to move back up in weight again without having to switch limbs back and forth between risers. :wink:

All of this is only possible however, if you have an original gen 1 Micro with it's 9 1/2" power stroke... and is possible by simply removing and replacing 1 bolt to make the entire front end swap possible.

That not being the case ?.. Then I'd stick with the gen 1 riser and happily just keep the Micro 335... It's been bought and paid for, as well as it performing better than the slightly lighter draw weight bows. :D

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
janesy

Post by janesy »

I'd shoulder the 308 and the 335 side by side. If the 308 feels better then its possibly worth picking one up.

I went the route Gene suggested and turned my 335(G1) into a 315. And I wouldnt put it back.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

dithian wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:08 am
I also have a Matrix 330. Smaller has proven better for my purposes, but I wonder at what point small vs. loss of power will be a factor. I really can't justify owning three crossbows (to my wife), so if I picked up a 308, I'd probably have to let go of the 330 or the 335.......... how does the 308 stack?
The 308 is a good jump up from what one really needs for deer hunting. As you've indicated above that the 330 has proven better for you, you'd be happier owning the 308 over the Micro. The 308 really is a pleasure to cock in contrast to the Micro. One year's Ontario record moose was taken with a very slow carved tip Vixen, so I think the 308 is more than enough power especially in a small, compact package. I do not see the power of the 308 being an issue.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

janesy wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:59 am

I went the route Gene suggested and turned my 335(G1) into a 315. And I wouldnt put it back.
X2 Did it, love it! :eusa-dance:

Marcel.
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
rockandtrail

Post by rockandtrail »

So you guys think the 308 short would be adequate for Black bear and whitetails up to 30 yards? I'm very interested in this bow also. Thanks for any info.
janesy

Post by janesy »

rockandtrail wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:42 pm
So you guys think the 308 short would be adequate for Black bear and whitetails up to 30 yards? I'm very interested in this bow also. Thanks for any info.
Over kill.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

janesy wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:47 pm
rockandtrail wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:42 pm
Over kill.
Yep! It is! The moose below was killed with the slowest Excalibur ever made. I'm guessing 250 ft/sec or less.:shock: It was up close and personal like many moose kills. Thirty yards? Put a sharp cut on contact broadhead on your arrow and it will zip through the mightiest whitetail. Keep in mind what the minimum bow weight is in your area. I think ours is 40 or 45 lbs. You don't need a whole whack of power for deer or bear unless you listen to the marketing guys. :wtf:

http://frow.ca/moose/crossbow/
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Tennessee Rebel

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

I'm loving mine. Got a Hawke XB30 for it. The scope is almost as big as the bow! My favorite Excalibur so far and its like the seventh one I've owned.
dithian

Post by dithian »

I appreciate all your thoughts. My micro is a gen 2, so no modifications there. Actually, the issue for me isn't cocking—I find the 335 Micro reasonable and the M330 I could shoot all day. I'm more interested in the bow being compact, and I wonder how noticeable the size difference is between the 308 and the Micro 335. Just going by specs, there isn't a huge difference, but then maybe that inch in length makes a big difference in how it shoulders. I certainly don't need a new bow, but the last time I opened a discussion like this one (approximately a year ago), I ended up owning a second crossbow after declaring I couldn't possibly keep two. So maybe my real question is less about whether or not I need to trade one bow for the other, and more about how to convince my wife that owning a third crossbow isn't only vital to keeping the freezer stocked, but is also a critical part of male hygiene, like the occasional tooth cleaning and colonoscopy. So, perhaps the title of my post should have been "Thoughts on how to convince my wife I need three crossbows." :think: Has anyone here pioneered into this territory and lived to tell about it?
janesy

Post by janesy »

Double post
Last edited by janesy on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme