Sighting in issues ...Matrix 310

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

seabee401

Sighting in issues ...Matrix 310

Post by seabee401 »

So I'm all sighted in to 40 yds. with my Matrix 310. I have a Dead Zone scope. Shooting from benchrest. All screws are tight.
When I shoot to 50 yds. my bolts take a nose dive of about 10-12" . Some fall short of target. Then test back to 40,30,20 yds. and it's still deadon. I tried adjusting speed ring , but that didn't help much at all. Anyone have any suggestions , or ideas? Seems like it just doesn't have the power past 40yds.
Thanks ,
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
xcaliber

Re: Sighting in issues ...Matrix 310

Post by xcaliber »

Falling short in some cases is most likely a different issue other than speed. If some arrows do hit, and some don't, the nock end is probably not square. Start by numbering all arrows, then get two of the best shooters at 20 yards. Move a double stacked target to 50 yards that gives you at least 40" from top to bottom of height. Place a small sticker near the top of the double stack, from the bench aim at that dot with your 20 yard reticle knowing the arrow will hit much lower. Now, aim at the dot again with your 20 yard reticle, adjust the zoom until the 50 yard Chevron is on the arrow, and the 20 yard is still on that dot. You should then shoot through all ranges and be fine. Then sort your arrows.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

Its not uncommon. You need to chrono it then make adjustments from there.

I strive for 300 fps or better and I ONLY trust the ACOG or Nikon Bolt.

The Excalibur scopes make good weights for surf fishing.

From the Matrix Grizzlies to the 330 I use the 100gr Boltcutters, X-Act, and field tips now. I think the 150’s are best suited for higher than 330. I also feel the Matrix is better than the rest.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:19 pm
Falling short in some cases is most likely a different issue other than speed. If some arrows do hit, and some don't, the nock end is probably not square. Start by numbering all arrows, then get two of the best shooters at 20 yards. Move a double stacked target to 50 yards that gives you at least 40" from top to bottom of height. Place a small sticker near the top of the double stack, from the bench aim at that dot with your 20 yard reticle knowing the arrow will hit much lower. Now, aim at the dot again with your 20 yard reticle, adjust the zoom until the 50 yard Chevron is on the arrow, and the 20 yard is still on that dot. You should then shoot through all ranges and be fine. Then sort your arrows.
This is sound advice and worth listening to. Completely agree.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I did not believe how much an off square nock would affect arrow flight with a crossbow, it is amazing how much different crossbow arrows behave compared to a vertical bow's arrows. With the vertical arrows, the inside of the nock is where the business starts, with crossbows, you have the arrow groove competing with the string contact on your nock end, if it's not right, bad things can happen like nose diving arrows, off center side to side, etc. I would be very interested where you wind up. :eusa-popcorn:
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I can hit a quarter at 50 yards with my 310... I*'m very impressed with it.
I have use the Excalibur VariZone, TactZone, and shadowzone... all very accurate scopes.
I like to practice at 50 & 60 yards quite often just to build my confidence when shooting shorter yardages so I installed a Hawke XB 30 PRO SR and I really like it too.
I have found the Excalibur scopes to be pretty accurate and enjoy the lifetime warranty as well.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

BrotherRon wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:44 pm
I can hit a quarter at 50 yards with my 310... I*'m very impressed with it.
I have use the Excalibur VariZone, TactZone, and shadowzone... all very accurate scopes.
I like to practice at 50 & 60 yards quite often just to build my confidence when shooting shorter yardages so I installed a Hawke XB 30 PRO SR and I really like it too.
I have found the Excalibur scopes to be pretty accurate and enjoy the lifetime warranty as well.
I agree I have had a Lumi zone, Tact Zone and Twilight scopes and have found them to be very solid performers, and accurate.
I have full confidence in them and they are backed by a great company, they will not be coming off my bows any time soon.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My first Excalibur was an Ibex at 305 FPS rating and I had no problem shooting to 50 yards. There is something going on, and I suspect arrows since some fall short, and all fasteners are reported to be tight. :eusa-popcorn:
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Make sure your bolts are fully seated on the string if you push them in far enough to get past the adf but not seated on the string you git a partial dry fire and wonky bolt flight.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Boo

Post by Boo »

gerald strine wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:52 pm
Make sure your bolts are fully seated on the string if you push them in far enough to get past the adf but not seated on the string you git a partial dry fire and wonky bolt flight.
I think this is the most likely reason.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will take all into consideration while sighting in. Does anyone think I would be better off shooting 100 grain vs. 150 grain tips for flatter trajectory?
Thanks
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
Normous

Post by Normous »

You could gain about 15 fps using a 100 gr point. Not much of a trajectory improvement out to 30 yards.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I agree that you need to make sure your arrow is seated properly... sometimes the vanes will hang up before the arrow is seated against the string.
You will gain a flatter trajectory but I find that I get better accuracy with 125 grain tips.
I will also say that string choice also has a limited affect on accuracy. I find that the custom 40 strand strings are slightly more accurate than the 26 or 28 strand strings. This past weekend I spent some time swapping out strings when I had my target out to 50 yards. Good old fashioned 40 strand, 28 strand custom strings, 26 strand Force 10, 30 strand force 10, 26 strand Rhino, 28 strand Rhino. The 26 strand Force 10 and the 26 strand Rhino were all in the top of the bullseye, the 40 strand custom strings were an inch lower in the bottom of the bullseye, and the others were in between.
Arrows can also make a difference. My 330 likes Zombie slayers and spynal tapps, but I get a little better accuracy using Executioners with my 310.
It isn't a big difference, and when hunting season rolls around I use the heavier Zombies and Spynal tapps with both the 330 and 310 for morer knock down power. :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

What is the actual speed readings on you scope.
Arrow setup weight?
Are you using one arrow on same vane during sighting in.
I say fine tune your 20 yards zero.
Place target then at 30/40 shoot but do not worry about POI except to confirm you are on the target. To reduce risk of a miss and lose an arrow$$$.
Then focus on 50 yards fine tune speed ring. All this using same arrow /same vane until tuned. Once set then reconfirm your 20 yd Zero and fine tune if need be. Reconfirm 50 yards .
Then calibrate a set of arrows
to a single best vane ..( at 20 yds )
(Over time I have now an established arrow as my calibrated go to arrow. )
( This arrow I have set aside and only gets used when checking my zero if an issue is suspected).
( Also it is sometimes a good thing to have someone watch you shoot to see if you have a shooting form / bad habit issue).👎peeking/follow through/ body position crossbow position etc...
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

if the arrows not seated on the heavier powered bows its more than messed up arrow flight .like nock shoved up arrow ,cut serving maybe even split limb. did that one time :eusa-naughty: maybe your getting away with in on the 310i think you would now when it happens