Very agrivating sometimes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Very agrivating sometimes

Post by longbow joe »

At age 53 a lot of my fellow bowhunter friends have asked me for advice on a crossbow . I was kinda the first to leave the vertical bow outta most of them.. We go through all of the pros n cons and about speed is overated. Of course l recommend the simple accurate products. .....such as we love here.......but then they ignore all advice and buy a ravin because it shoots a 100 yards and has a lot a cables.lt has happened 3 times already. l guess im just a little butt hurt maby that they dont take my advice l guess. Now my good friend john called me tonight complaining that his ravin string is shot after less than 150 shots......and the local dealer dosnt have one . Im just gonna tell them to buy the most expensive crossbow that they can find and the more parts on it the better it is. ....gettin sick of this. Buy the way my second hand adopted slow as hell ibex shot the lights out of the ravins the other day at the usless now obsolete sub 40 yard mark we were shooting.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
W.Miguire

Re: Very agrivating sometimes

Post by W.Miguire »

Hard to beat the Excalbur . :eusa-deadhorse: :clap: :eusa-whistle:
W.M.
MickB

Post by MickB »

crossbows are in an arms race , its exciting for hardcore guys but those who just want to buy and shoot need to be made aware cutting edge tech often needs more user involvement to keep it working. I tell my buddies , you can shoot certain bows without becoming a crossbow expert, like a guy can be an expert rifle shot and hunter without giving a hoot how to fix a gun. If a limb goes on an Excalibur the identification of the issue and fix is simple, even if you are just a hunter.
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I think the crossbow makers are making a huge mistake by going faster and faster. We are still in a battle for crossbow hunting privileges and by saying 450 fps and 100 yard shots are the norm they are just giving the anti crossbow crowd a lot of ammo to use as propaganda . I really believe crossbow seasons will be shorten or separated from the archery seasons if this trend continues . And maybe it should . Because if the reason people are buying these things think they shoot a few arrows then can hunt deer at 100 yards , well maybe they shouldn't have to long of a season anyway. Sorry for getting off topic.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
janesy

Post by janesy »

LongCarbine wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:54 am
I think the crossbow makers are making a huge mistake by going faster and faster. We are still in a battle for crossbow hunting privileges and by saying 450 fps and 100 yard shots are the norm they are just giving the anti crossbow crowd a lot of ammo to use as propaganda . I really believe crossbow seasons will be shorten or separated from the archery seasons if this trend continues . And maybe it should . Because if the reason people are buying these things think they shoot a few arrows then can hunt deer at 100 yards , well maybe they shouldn't have to long of a season anyway. Sorry for getting off topic.
I agree.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

We saw a guy shoot a crossbow at an antelope that was around 100 yards away with one of those fast compound crossbows. The buck must of heard the shot or saw some movement, but it took two quick steps forward and bolt completely missed. This guy insisted that he was sighted in for 100 yards and could shoot animals that far. I don't think 100 yards is a good idea with an arrow or bolt and a small, skittish animal. I am 41 years younger than you and I understand your logic. Someone like you told us about recurves and Excalibur's when we were interested and we listened and ended up here. If the wheel crossbows have a brand name and are fast they cost more money, take more maintenance and have more issues. Who needs all that? There is something cool about the fastest, longest range stuff IF you can afford it and use it knowing the limits and what to expect.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I hear you brother Joe....I deal with this with my BIL who shoots a Tenpointer....buys arra's at Dicks and shoots his fair share of deer....he just won't listen to reason....

Anthony :?
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

just stopped by the Cabelas over in Hamburg. the masses were hovering over the Ravins. the old Excalibur wall is down to a few hangin. the Ravins look all business until you gotta buy strings and cables. as narrow as they are they still dont feel as good as my Gen 1 335(342fps.) Micro.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

My brother said he is planning on getting a crossbow to hunt with this fall and I encouraged him to check out the Excalibur Bulldog line.
I have been bragging up Excalibur crossbows for 4 years now....
He has informed me that he is planning on getting one of them fast shooting new Ten Point crossbows. :eusa-doh:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

LongCarbine wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:54 am
x3 :clap:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

Happened to me this week. Co-workers house burned and he lost everything. He ordered a new crossbow; I tried to tell him simple is better and more accurate. He found one on the Internet for $250.00 made by CenterPoint. Maybe when the string slaps him in the face he will listen. :eusa-violin:
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

Longbow Joe,
Yeah I get that a lot too. One thing that annoys me is that the advertising on the Xbow that they show shooting a hundred yards is they don't tell you how long it took to make that commercial. I know guys that put the money out and then they have to take to a pro shop to get new strings and cables. Then they say they should have listen. I have been shooting Excalibur Xbow for a while and endorse them 100 %.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Anyone know what it costs labor wise and parts to totally re-string and re-cable a ravin?
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

All I know is the press to do so is over 200.00 :thumbdown:
W.M.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I'm still using the same bow I bought ten years ago. I tag out every year with it. When I can't use the rope cocker any more I will mount a crank on her. I know every blemish and scratch by feel. I've abused her, dropped her, even fended off an angry badger with her. To many good memories to just dump her for another. *wife nods approvingly*
I doubt I will have to worry about the speed thing in my lifetime, but I fear it will affect future archery hunting.
Hank