Broadhead VS Fieldpoint POI

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bcxbow

Broadhead VS Fieldpoint POI

Post by Bcxbow »

With all the discussions about broadheads flying the same as fieldpoints I thought I would offer my opinion from over 40 years of shooting, testing and hunting with archery equipment. This opinion was derived from actual testing/usage and not advertisements or hearsay.

In the early part of my archery career my belief was that any broadhead I shot had to have the same point of impact as my fieldpoints or the broadheads were junk (if the broadheads spun perfect). I struggled with this for over a decade which caused me to use broadheads that i would normally not prefer based solely on their point of impact with fieldpoints. As I gained some more age and knowledge I began to understand that if a broadhead does not have the same point of impact as my fieldpoint and everything is in proper tune that it doesn't necessarily mean that the broadhead is junk and here is why.

A fieldpoint is a smooth conical shaped point that has very little aerodynamic effect on an arrow of any type but a broadhead come in many different type of configurations, conical tip, cut on contact tip, chisel tip and more. Broadheads also have blades that protrude from the ferrule and all of this changes the aerodynamics of the arrow overall. So IMO if you have broadheads that shoot the same as you fielpoints at ALL yardages then you should go buy some lottery tickets because you're very lucky. How do we get around this?

First off set some guidelines for what you expect from the broadhead such as weight, cutting diameter, shape, blade thickness and any other parameter that you may be looking for. Then shoot at least three arrows with each type of broadheads (remember you must use the same arrows for accurate results) at different spots and see which head/arrow combination gives you the smallest amount of deviation from their POI. Sight your bow in with the best combination and go harvesting.

What does it matter if broadheads and fieldpoints have the same POI, you're not hunting with fieldpoints!

Billy
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
bigbowman

Re: Broadhead VS Fieldpoint POI

Post by bigbowman »

I have only had ONE broadhead that has ever came close to the same POI as a field point and those were the Swhacker broadheads. I've never had a broadhead hit the same poi as a filed point, never! For this reason, I did away with field tips and only practice with the broadheads that I hunt with. Sure I am wasting a few broadheads for practice, but I don't have to align my scope each year when it's time to start hunting either! I owe it to myself, the sport and the animals that I harvest! Just my honest opinion of course. ;)
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

That's very good advice, a person should always shoot their broadheads before hunting and make any changes or corrections
to get dialed in before hunting. I guess I never worried about my broadheads flying like my field points because most of
the ones I shot years ago wouldn't fly the same as field points except some 2 bladed heads. I always practiced with field points
until a couple of weeks for deer season opened and then switched over to broadheads.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Normous

Post by Normous »

:angel: Well said Billy, BBM and Hester. Thank you.

To add what he said I adjust my scope to the broadhead POI and record the windage and elavation changes from my field point POI on to a piece of paper.

To go back to my field point POI after hunting season is a simple adjustment. Just remember where you put that paper. :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Billy good read, I've always been a fixed blade shooter I stay with one tip that shoots well for me, the G5 Striker. Never wanted the "what if thought" with a mechanical, opening not opening? Shooting BH's are tough on targets I get it. A wounded or lost animal sucks, yardage is the key. Haven't had to many deer pose for the pre death stance, seem to be always moving. Staying behind the bow after the shot is what has helped me be a better shooter/hunter...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Wind will also greatly affect a broad head more than a field point.
I use 100 grain 2 blade and 125 grain 3 blade expandable Nap broad heads and they do in fact have same poi as my field points out to 30+ yards.
I have also found that the 125 grain Ram Cat broad heads are within 1/2" of field point poi at 30 yards.
Of course the weight of the broad head must match the weight of the field points.
I have also found 125 grain tips to be more consistently accurate than the 100 grain tips.
I also use custom made arrows during hunting season that are all spline indexed and gram matched for weight....
During the summer months I use cheaper arrows and re-sight my crossbow in the fall. :lol:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Good points guys and to add to my original post I believe that practice and confidence in your equipment is the best deterrent against bad shot placement. You must be 100% sure that your shot will impact where you expect it to. That is why personally I will not shoot at anything live with an arrow and head that I have not confirmed it’s accuracy beforehand. Replacement blades are relatively cheap compared to the feeling of wounding and losing an animal.

Good luck to all in the upcoming season
Billy
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am the one yer mama told you about :lol: Have i ever had B-heads hit wid-in a 1/2" of my field pts at 40 yds n under, Yes. Several of them, shwacker 2" 100 gr, NAP Spitfire 1 1/2" 100 gr, n 100 gr Hammerhead 2" i think they were. Fixed maybe at 10-15 yds. I take my fixed heads n shoot/practice wid'em n sight in my red dot/scope wid'em. This is what i do wid me free time, shoot 2 or 3 thousands times a yr fer many yrs now. At any yardage i truely think i will shoot a varmit at i shoot my B-heads til they hit where i aim them. Now even i or maybe the tick toter moves or i did not get my lead on them correct n oops not a great killin shot ! :( That is why i have trained 4 furbabies goin on 10 yrs to cover me, my Ace in the Hole pack. I have one that won't quit n one that will pull one down if'en its on its feet. That one is gritty she catches n kills coons by herself, but she is a funny child. Thunder n lightnin will make her go under the bed, :lol: I digress n i shoot n buy new Mech. to hunt wid, i reshsrped or replace main blades in fixed or send them back fer new ones, i like that, its cheaper on me
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I normally shoot mechanical heads because the handful that I have tried appear to shoot as close to my field points that I can't tell the difference at hunting distances. I have taken a few deer with fixed heads, but haven't had as much luck getting them to fly with the field points. The combination that I am using right now out of my Micro is the best I've found.

Using Slick Trick 1-1/4" fixed heads, I can put all four of the arrows in my quiver in 2" circles at 50 yards shooting from a rest. Those same four arrows will hit 1" circles at 50 yards using field points with no changes to the scope. They don't hit exactly where my field points do, but the difference could just as well be in the shooter. I have a couple arrows that will put a both a field point and a fixed broadhead in a 1" circle at 50 yards. But I only have a couple out of a couple dozen that are that consistent.

Fletching my arrows with the EZ Fletch Bolt using 2" Blazer vanes and having brass inserts up front seems to help. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably step up an additional 10 grains on the front insert. But this combination on a 16" Zombie Slayer with a luminok ends up weighing around 377.6gr +/- .5 grain. Its seems to find that happy medium between speed and accuracy. I'm sure there are dozens of combinations that will work. It is a matter of finding the one that works for each bow (and pocketbook).

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Lot of fine people here with years of knowledge!
What can I say on this only what I feel inside on hunting for 53 years with bow!
In my mind its hard for me to not shoot my broadheads in practice!
I have to get my mind into everything being we are talking points I feel I just have to use broadhead I hunt with!
Even keep asking friends here ,hey joe and paul,boo etc will field point shoot same as my spitfire points?
I keep trying to get my mind to except the field point but it says Sproul 53 years hunting you are not changing!!
Today I took spitfire 100 ,took out the retention blades and wrapped with dental floss!
Glued blades and dental floss!
Weight it and shot!!
Put it in same hole over and over at 30 yards!
Point only goes in my rag bag 1 inch ...
Was not getting that from field points shot earlier!
It had to be my mind!

So will field points shoot close to my spitfires...Yes but your mind has to except that they will !
When we did instintive shooting with recurves in 60s in your mind that poi was as small as a button at 25 yards but you concentrated on it to make it smaller..
Aim small shoot small.

Mind can be big plus or negative at times!!!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Without a shooting machine this "exact "acuracy cannot be proven. I politely disagree with 110 grain brass insert and a zombie l can get almost 1/4 inch closeness with all 5 of my bows. Ramcats, spitfires,shwacker xact cut ,lazer strike ll and slick trick all field point close. Some broadheads just dont group good keep trying. I shoot my crossbows all summer long l dont want to change a scope setting when l dont have to.Maby im just anal.sometimes the wind can affect this obviouslybut even in a mild wind were at an inch. I think thats pretty good.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Great post!

I have also found Mechanical practice heads may have a different POI as the actual Broadhead.

I have been practising with the Exodus fixed heads with good results. Only issue is they have destroyed my Rinehart target and burying my fletchings in the target as well.. :oops: switched over to a burlap stuffed sack to stop the fletching destruction!! Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

DuckHunt wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:13 pm
I have a couple arrows that will put a both a field point and a fixed broadhead in a 1" circle at 50 yards. But I only have a couple out of a couple dozen that are that consistent.

DuckHunt
This is the most important point made in the thread. Its the arrow that determines the accuracy. BHs (especially fixed blades) will make any arrow flight problems or inconsistencies stand out. Fix your arrows and fixed heads will fly just fine as long as you have adequate fletching. In my experience, 2" blazers put on with max helical do well.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

I’ll second what nchunterkw said.
2” Blazers put on max helical covers a multitude of sins...
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Guess I'm a tad different than "the norm" here...

I went through many different types of broadheads.
Some flew Good, some flew OK, and some went in the trash bin rather quickly.
Didn't find one that flew "Great" until I met 125 grain NAP Spitfires.
That was the beginning of a lengthy relationship, one that still flourishes today...

Why?
Because at any given range between point blank to 90+ yards, they fly within 1/2 inch of my 125 grain field points.
This is a fact repeatedly tested and verified.
That, and the huge holes they make leading to superb & SHORT blood trails simply keeps me coming back.

I strongly agree however on arrow selection.
Big John's Custom Zombie Slayers with the Luminoks are so consistent I have never even toyed with the idea of using another.
After literally dozens, I have yet to encounter a single cull...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."