Quill Bolts and replacing the nocks?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

Quill Bolts and replacing the nocks?

Post by AJ01 »

Evening Folks!!
I'm sure someone has ask this question before, but I can't find an answer. SO I'll post it here... :eusa-deadhorse:

I have a Micro 355 that I bought a year or so ago. Love the Bow!! Wish I had a new Assassin, but I'll wait, or get a divorce!
I'd like to find out if it's feasible to replace the flat nocks on the 16.5 Quill with a lighted nock of some sort. And if it is, what do folks recommend?
I have a bunch of extra Quills, so could I just replace/remove the flats and add lighted witout to much of a change my POA/POI?

Thanks in Advance from Texas!
AJ
:wave:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Re: Quill Bolts and replacing the nocks?

Post by janesy »

Yep absolutely, luminok makes a lighted nock sized fro the quille. .315 if I recall correctly, havent used a quill in some time.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Forgot to add, your arrow will definatly fly different due to the change in FOC. But it may or may not be enough to notice with the quills, shoot and see.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Thanks!!

I knew someone on here would have already played with this project.

The Micro came with a set of Quills so I bought some more. They seem to fly really well out of the stubby Micro. I'm fairly new to this whole "crossbow thing" so I appreciate all the info I can garner.

Would you recommend a different type of bolt?

Thanks
Andy
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

You'll get good flight if you use a 150 gr broadhead with or without Luminoks. Most guys who are fussy about accuracy will go to a Black Eagle Arrow with a 110 gr brass front insert and 100 gr broadheads. Black Eagle Arrows are currently the best you can buy.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I've had REALLY good accuracy with the fixed blade "Bolt Cutters" that Excalibur makes. Couldn't be happier with them. I've shot this setup out to 50 yards and they fly like their on a string.
Excalibur broke me, I'll never shoot any other bow. :thumbup:

I've been shooting the standard Quill bolts and the ones made by Victory. Can't tell any difference in the flight path. As long as I do my part, they'll do theirs.

Thanks for all the info guys! Happy Hunting!!

Andy
killzthemost

Post by killzthemost »

How to you take the original quill nocks out ? Or the best way to do it? I want to run some lighted nocks too. Thanks
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Boo said it correct as always!
ombie Slayers,.001,,blazer vanes,110 gr brass insert,100 gr points..
In same holes at 30 yds!😏
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Doube post!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Sorry
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

sproulman wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:38 pm
Sorry
The rare but always funny triple post. Been there. Thanks for the chuckle. :eusa-clap:
Hank
grouse

Post by grouse »

I cut both ends off of the longest pat of a metal coat hanger, removed the field point or broadhead and punch the old nock out from the other end with the hanger portion. This has always worked for me.
axiom
350 SE
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

They actually make a tool to remove the flat nocks from the carbon bolts/arrows for your Excalibur. I'll use the term "arrows" simply because I'm not a mechanic throwing "bolts" across a car repair shop.... :eusa-naughty:
Anyways, I digress....The problem I encountered is, I don't know enough about the carbon structure of the arrow to judge how long to keep the tool in the nock before trying to pull out the nock. What's its doing is melting the factory glue that holds the insert in place. Too much heat can damage the structure of the arrow causing it to fail when trying to achieve the initial launch of the arrow resulting in what is equivalent to a "dry-fire" scenario. :wtf:

Perhaps one day when I've decided to buy some "practice" arrows and invest in more health insurance, I'll experiment with this tool. However, right now I'm not that brave nor am I willing to wreck my Excalibur. I suppose it would be cheaper I reckon in the long run, but for now I have decided to just buy mine "already made". There a HUGE number of arrow designers that make arrows for crossbow guys with all kinds of nocks, bells ,whistles and assorted "do-dads" ready to go "stob something"!! :lol: .

My personal choice is Wyvern Creations Crossbows. :thumbup:

Go enjoy your Excalibur! I love mine!!
AJ
2019 Bulldog 440

Post by 2019 Bulldog 440 »

Aren’t the BEE bolts only come at 18”, 20” and 22”? I have the MAG340 and they shoot 16.5” Proflight bolts. I also have the Bulldog 440 that takes 18” bolts.

What kind of lumenoks would fit the stock non-lighted Proflight bolts? I have tons of 18” Proflight bolts but I want to put lumenoks in them but I don’t know what size it takes. I would imagine that the 18” bolts would work with the MAG340, right?

Please let me know how to choose the lumenok that will fit the Proflight bolts. Thanks in advance!
Own:
2019 Bulldog 440 MOBUC
2020 MAG 340 Kryptec Raid
Wish:
to have the rest of the newer 2020 Excalibur crossbow’s with QLT. :eusa-violin:
Normous

Post by Normous »

That will be the size GTF by Lumenok.
.300 ID for BE arrows.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family