Tripod stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Tripod stands

Post by grouse »

Is anyone else out there using a tripod deer stand? I'm talking about the kind that is 15 to 16 feet tall and has a 360 degree rotating seat and a 360 degree shooting rail (not the more portable shorter version). These stands don't fit every situation, they're not practical on public land and are hard to get level on really steep terrain, but where they work they are really outstanding. The seat is a chair with a backrest and the shooting rail helps you to make accurate shots in every direction. I double over a 10' X 12' camo tarp to make it 5' X 12', add extra grommets and zip tie it to the outside of the shooting rail. From the ground, most of my body is concealed by the tarp. An added benefit is that with the rail and tarp in place the stand is very safe and the tarp helps to break the wind. Mine is in the corner of a crop field where I can face and watch the field, I can swivel around and watch for the bucks that sneak along the perimeter of the field looking for does that are out in the field, and I can also watch the woods behind me.

My tripod isn't the only stand I hunt from (it is definitely my favorite) but since I erected it in 2012 I have killed 9 deer out of it with either my crossbow or rifle. If one is an option for you, I would give it strong consideration.
axiom
350 SE
papa bear1

Re: Tripod stands

Post by papa bear1 »

I actually hunt from a tripod stand myself, I tuck mine in amongst 2 trees,and have killed many deer from it, :thumbup:
the place I bought it from said I needed 2 helpers to set it up :think: but they don't know how us hillbillies have the ability to git er done :crazy:
I simply throw a rope over a limb, and hook my tractor to it and up she goes. :think:

hillbilly Dave :thumbup: :lol:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

papa bear1 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:29 am
I actually hunt from a tripod stand myself, I tuck mine in amongst 2 trees,and have killed many deer from it, :thumbup:
the place I bought it from said I needed 2 helpers to set it up :think: but they don't know how us hillbillies have the ability to git er done :crazy:
I simply throw a rope over a limb, and hook my tractor to it and up she goes. :think:

I Have one set up on a logging road, my favorite stand. I put mine up with it laying on the ground, I drove 2 stakes at the base of the 2 legs on the ground, hooked a rope to the top and pulled it up with my 4 wheeler. us old hillbililes can get'r done. :thumbup:
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

deerman41 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:20 am
papa bear1 wrote:

I Have one set up on a logging road, my favorite stand. I put mine up with it laying on the ground, I drove 2 stakes at the base of the 2 legs on the ground, hooked a rope to the top and pulled it up with my 4 wheeler. us old hillbililes can get'r done. :thumbup:
When we get older we don't work harder, we work smarter, :eusa-dance:

Dave :thumbup:
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
grouse

Post by grouse »

papa bear1 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:46 am
deerman41 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:20 am
papa bear1 wrote:

Dave :thumbup:
[/quote
You guys are both a lot smarter than I am. My wife had to help me raise my stand up.
axiom
350 SE
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I have had a few of the Strongbuilt 10' tripods for several years. What I like about them most is that I can take down and move and set up by myself. I try to back them into a group of cedars, wrap a drape around the frame and good to go. I also usually put a piece of pipe insulation over top rail, and secure it with zip ties so that the rail is padded. Makes it quieter and wont scratch bow up.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I’ve got 4 one man tripods and one two man tripod, and they’ve been great.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I bought the Sniper Outlaw 16' Tripod Swivel Deer Stand from Sportsman Guide last month but haven’t had time to set it up yet. I hope to have it together for opening of gun season here in WI! I just hope my decrepit bones will be able to comfortably climb the dang thing! Lol
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:48 am
I have had a few of the Strongbuilt 10' tripods for several years. What I like about them most is that I can take down and move and set up by myself. I try to back them into a group of cedars, wrap a drape around the frame and good to go. I also usually put a piece of pipe insulation over top rail, and secure it with zip ties so that the rail is padded. Makes it quieter and wont scratch bow up.
I do the same thing on my shooting rails , works great. :thumbup:

Dave :wink:
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:48 am

I also usually put a piece of pipe insulation over top rail, and secure it with zip ties so that the rail is padded. Makes it quieter and wont scratch bow up.
X3 :thumbup:
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

just found a NIB 15-16ft tripod stand ----- guys askin 100

great buy ---- just bad timing

i'd like it for my property
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

i agree but it would sure be nice to have both options available!
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE