Shooting excaliburs and a barnett

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Shooting excaliburs and a barnett

Post by longbow joe »

My brother recently bought a barnett. Im pretty sure its a whitetail hunter its like 400 fps. He put a excaliber twilight on it and we went shooting this morning. First thing l notice is the bolt is not sitting on the rail perfectly flat in the front. ???? Not cool for a expensive crossbow. It had a great trigger. Long story short this bow was not accurate at hunting ranges anywhere near any excaliber l own . (Not bragging at all) but my 355 and lbex made it look silly. My brother is also mr rifle acuracy nut so l must admit a little sense of pride in my geat shooting .l was just totally surprised in the non accuracy of his bow.3 inch + groups at 30 yards I shot it and l could not do any better. I would guess that the slightly less than perfect rail is not helping the situation l think he should send the thing back.What a piece of junk.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Hester0305

Re: Shooting excaliburs and a barnett

Post by Hester0305 »

I haven't shot many compound crossbows since owning Excaliburs over the years, but I did shoot an older Ten Point last year that shot fine but it was real slow and the scope was pitiful on it I bet it was 15 years old. I also shot a PSE Fang LT that cocked real easy and shot great with good arrows. The scope and arrows were also the downfall of the crossbow. I switched the arrows to some BE Executioners and put some moon nocks in them and the crossbow shot really well. I think he said the crossbow sold for around $300.00 new which I thought was a deal for a 330 fps compact crossbow. My friend also has a Micro 315 which shoots lights out and is very well balanced for off hand shooting.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
galamb

Post by galamb »

I sell Barnett's (as well as Excalibur and a number of other brands).

The "not sitting flat" is a common observation but it is "exactly as designed" and if it does sit flat, that's when there is an issue.

Barnett's are like that to provide the proper clearance when firing.

So the answer is - it was designed that way on purpose.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I won a Barnett two years ago at our company Christmas party. I don’t remember the model but it shot 330fps. After two hours on the range I couldn’t get better than a three inch group at twenty yards with three different brands of arrows.
I put it back in the box it came in and sold it. Once you own an Excalibur you will never be satisfied with any other brand. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thanks for the heads up on the rail ,l will tell him. Still that is pitiful if thats the best this expensive bow has to offer at the range.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.