Unhappy Excalibur Owner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

retrieverman

Unhappy Excalibur Owner

Post by retrieverman »

I’ve got 4 Excalibur crossbows, and now TWO have splintered limbs within a couple weeks of each other. My Matrix 380 cracked a couple weeks ago, and I’ve got a RMA from Excalibur. I hunted this evening at my place in OK with my Micro 335, and after getting out of the stand, I was just going to shoot the bow to decock but then decided to shoot a few more times. In the process, I heard that sickening “crack” of a limb splintering.

Fortunately, I had my Dad’s old IBEX at our place here in OK, so it’s now strung, sighted in, and ready to hunt in the morning.

THIS IS WHY I ALWAYS HAVE A BACK UP. CRAP HAPPENS!!!
Onetimeonly x-->

Re: Unhappy Excalibur Owner

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Hey, don't want to sound like a dead horse be patient, Excal will take care of you...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Mad, ticked, unhappy, of course. Me too. But...

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69078
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:49 am
Hey, don't want to sound like a dead horse be patient, Excal will take care of you...
Oh I know they will, but I’m 500 miles from home on a hunt. If I hadn’t prepared with an extra bow here, I’d be really pissed.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sorry that it happened. Yer luck must run the same as mine. I get broken limbs every yr it seems
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

The old long limb bows are pretty much bulletproof.... just saying
janesy

Post by janesy »

Funny how these things work. My friend dropped his M380 16' from his freestanding two nights ago. Cocked and loaded it landed flat upside down. He took a couple shots and it didn't even loose it's zero. Same bow got a dryfires will cocking it last fall. Zero issue .

Then another just let's go for now apparent reason.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:22 am
The old long limb bows are pretty much bulletproof.... just saying
Like the old (Equinok) EH :wink:

Dave :thumbup:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well it sounds like you have a backup that will save the trip, I would not travel on a hunt with only one of anything required to take my game, guns included. I have seen some crazy stuff happen through the years.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I am very sorry to hear about your limb problems. Excalibur will take care of you but no one wants that kind of hassle let alone during hunting season.

I'm sure the Excalibur engineers are hard at work to find a permanent solution and I appreciate their efforts. They are pushing the envelope with some of the latest designs trying to stay relevant in the international crossbow race. This in itself creates design problems that must be overcome as they crop up.

It's very mystifying how some Matrix and Micro bows have no limb problems while others are splintering and/or cracking. Is it an overall design problem or an individual manufacturing fault?

The Matrix and Micro series are very attractive to me but can't justify the cost of replacing the Exomax. After a couple of dry fires I got some small splinters and replaced it's limbs but with a little sanding I'm sure they would of been fine to use.

Good Luck!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

xcaliber wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 am
Well it sounds like you have a backup that will save the trip, I would not travel on a hunt with only one of anything required to take my game, guns included. I have seen some crazy stuff happen through the years.

Must be nice I have a hard time affording one bow at the prices they are ! I have a problem with alot of the new products ! My new 2 grand compound blew up on a shot at a real nice antelope in Montana and the scope on my 335 blew up while just sighting in. Thankfully I have my old exomax which is still chugging along I just wish I could still pull my old bowtech compound as it is still in great shape after 20 years and would have saved my hunt out west !!

No doubt excal will make it right as they always do but that isn't the point at these prices they should be bullet proof !!
Boo

Post by Boo »

That's a real bummer! I have a small issue with mistrust of Murphy :eusa-naughty: . So at the end of summer, I take down my bows completely and put them back together. That will allow a nut and bolt check as well as inspection of limbs etc. It's not that I mistrust everyone but I really believe that if something can go wrong, it's going to on me. I also have extra sets of limbs so that upon inspection, I can replace them immediately and then send the defective ones in and I'm not waiting. I might be a bit impatient :roll:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I also take my bows apart at the end of the season and check everything. I have a set of extra limbs for my exomax but haven't had to use them . I guess I need to get a set for the 335 although the ones on it seem ok so far . I guess I just jinxed myself better get a set of limbs sent when they return the scope LOL
janesy

Post by janesy »

I haven't had one single bow stick around long enough to need a seasonal tuneup. They are always getting torn down, and rebuilt.
I'm set on the Pitbull. It's staying
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

janesy wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:12 pm
I haven't had one single bow stick around long enough to need a seasonal tuneup. They are always getting torn down, and rebuilt.
I'm set on the Pitbull. It's staying
Where have I heard that before? Are you related to Jeff/Carnivorous? :eusa-dance:
Some people just like stepping on rakes