Deep question.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Deep question.

Post by DuckHunt »

Assuming the shot is safe, is there such thing as an unethical shot when shooting at a coyote?
:eusa-popcorn:
DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
janesy

Re: Deep question.

Post by janesy »

No. None come to mind
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

If you break your leg do we make you walk to the hospital? :think:
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I was taught that ethics are a matter of personal moral and not something that should be set by others. With that in mind, I would only shoot at a living thing if it was legal and in my best guess, the shot would be lethal because everything was there for a clear shot that I knew I could make. Even a coyote. Like I said, that is my personal way. You can make an iffy shot if you are okay with it. Also, there might be a law that covers wounding an animal either A) on purpose or B) not attempting to find and kill something you know you wounded. But that is a law not ethics, your ethics would be whether you were okay with breaking the law anyway. I don't think someone else can tell you what is "ethical". It is what is totally legal and you are totally okay with.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

XB I GO wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:10 pm
I was taught that ethics are a matter of personal moral and not something that should be set by others. With that in mind, I would only shoot at a living thing if it was legal and in my best guess, the shot would be lethal because everything was there for a clear shot that I knew I could make. Even a coyote. Like I said, that is my personal way. You can make an iffy shot if you are okay with it. Also, there might be a law that covers wounding an animal either A) on purpose or B) not attempting to find and kill something you know you wounded. But that is a law not ethics, your ethics would be whether you were okay with breaking the law anyway. I don't think someone else can tell you what is "ethical". It is what is totally legal and you are totally okay with.
Good answer young man.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

janesy wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:57 pm
No. None come to mind
I'm going to clarify my answer after sleeping on it. Because to just drop a solid NO is wrong .

I follow the law, I wouldn't go outside of the law to kill a coyote. Unless it were harassing the sheep, horses or dogs.

Ethics to me when hunting any species can be summed up to the requirement of a clean humane kill. That includes shot placement, distance, tools, recovery ...etc. If you cannot fulfill those requirements than you need to consider your shot before you take it.

Here is honestly where it falls apart for me with a coyote.

I'm going to aim at its chest, every single time. But as long as it dies. I'm happy with that.

Most of my coyote shots are under 200. I don't have a set distance for a coyote, if it's safe I'm taking the shot regardless how far away it is.

I would never in a minute consider taking a shot at a game species with what I consider a sub par round. But with a coyote, if the bullet will make it there, in taking the shot. I'm not saying I'm lobing a 22LR at a coyote 400 yards away.

Recovery... I'll track it. But nobody tracks a coyote like they track game, unless the pelt is high.

Around here, I see them every single day on my drive to work. I'm baiting one now that is currently stalking my friends dog. The dog survived one attack already. My FIL just went to get his lisence because of coyotes in his barn have become complacent with human presence.
And it's hard to feel anything for them after you've seen a flock of sheep after a "training" night with mom and pups.
Ever seen a Lamb held through a fence by its legs while a pup pulls it's insides outside while it's alive? Just to see what's in there...not eat it. Hard to worry about the ethics if it, when that's the role they play around here.

It's not that I don't feel ethical towards them. But if you have no feelings, no empathy, no remorse towards them. What are you left with?

The thing to remember is, they are NOT a trophy. We don't eat them, we don't respect them. We hunt them for two reasons... To KILL them, or to make money from their pelts. Money that pays so little it's laughable. So if anyone tries to high horse about ethics and coyote hunting. Haha, even tree hugging yuppies from the city want them dead. :lol:

Anyway I digress, XB I GO. Perfect answer my friend.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

My take on what you said, XB! :thumbup: Ethics is indeed personal. Even a coyote deserves to be treated with compassion. They are on this earth for a reason. Theres nothing wrong with hunting them with a vengeance, but there's everything wrong with willingly allowing or causing them to suffer.
Are there hard and fast rules for everyone? You bet! The intent to cause suffering is wrong and illegal. Don't do it if you aren't ready to finish what you started. That last one applies to everything in life. Sometimes, there is a fine line between ethics and law and that line is determined by the courts. But who want a court to sort things out for you?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

If you can't hit the vitals, don't take the shot.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Haha, even tree hugging yuppies from the city want them dead. :lol:

Not where I live ! I have a huge farm/bush area behind my house that is full of deer, Now its full of coyotes too. No hunting anymore as there is a no discharge of firearms by-law. I have talked to many of my tree hugging neighbours and they think having coyotes back is great to control the deer lol anything but us bad hunters to do that ! One lady even said that if one got her little puppy she would be sad but wouldn't hold it against them because they are just doing what comes natural to them !!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 am

Not where I live ! I have a huge farm/bush area behind my house that is full of deer, Now its full of coyotes too. No hunting anymore as there is a no discharge of firearms by-law. I have talked to many of my tree hugging neighbours and they think having coyotes back is great to control the deer lol anything but us bad hunters to do that ! One lady even said that if one got her little puppy she would be sad but wouldn't hold it against them because they are just doing what comes natural to them !!
Ah yes, your neighbor is a preservationist, NOT a conservationist....and I do agree with her that coyotes will do what comes naturally to them, killing. BUT, as a conservationist and a hunter, I will also do what comes naturally to me, hunting and killing for food and or protection of other animals, livestock or property. That's my 2 bits.....great response XB I GO

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 am

Last Tuesday I had a local Farm Antiques dealer come find me and asked if i would hunt his property. I googled it and he was 10 acres surrounded by 390 of corn
I told him I would not, because All I would be doing would be calling them to his backyard.

He was back in 2 hours with permission from both agacent farmers for me to hunt their land.

Around here, people are tired of them. They are everywhere. It's literally like a mouse and a mousetrap situation. Nobody wants to do it, but they all want it done.
I'm not some crazed loonie out slaughtering every coyote I see, but I think a lot less about it before I pull the trigger than I do a game animal is all.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

I love XB I GO's response. Very mature for your age. Your parents have done well by you!
As for the coyotes, I will try to kill everyone I see if I get half the chance. No dangerous shots but If I can get a shot off I will. Even a marginal shot. One less coyote is a great thing. There was a young girl not very far from her that was attacked by a coyote. The more numerous they become, the more likely these interactions become. Hopefully, the traps will be out in December.
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I agree the young lads response was a good and well thought out must have a good mentor.

In my area we used to be able to run dogs and shoot coyotes but for about 5 years now that has ended as most of the farm or at least enough are being bought up by well off city folks moving out and they don't allow hunting of any kind ! I'm down to one farm and only got permission there because I know the guy and he now can tell others that ask that he already has a hunter plus I basically police it for him for trespassers.