Deer Scents

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Deer Scents

Post by ko4nrbs »

Maybe it is just me but I always feel like a sucker every time I spend nine or ten dollars for a little bottle of deer lure. Some are even much higher than that. I still do it but don't buy as much as I used to. Still use the lures sparingly. Who knows how many gallons of lures are dumped in the woods every year!! I don't buy scrape lure anymore. MePee seems to work just as well here and it is free as well as being readily available!! Told a guy at WalMart once about it and got a weird look.

I decided to buy Doe Estrous lure to use with my deer decoys during the Rut. Went with the Hunters Specialties Doe Estrus Scent Wafers this time. Thinking they will last much longer and less mess.
https://hunterspec.com/product/scent-wafers
I also use their Fresh Earth Cover Scent wafers. Keep my hunting clothes in a plastic tote with them. My wife doesn't like the smell and told me not to open the tote unless I am outside.
https://hunterspec.com/product/scent-wafers

Deer hunting is a very big deal as far as money spent goes. The shelves at WalMart empty pretty quick. Especially broadheads and lures. It's a very big business for sure.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
xcaliber

Re: Deer Scents

Post by xcaliber »

It's a huge business, and there is a lot of it sold. Most folks hunt public land and the success rate is very low even for gun hunters. There are very few that actually work in my opinion, and even that can be debated. My take is this, if you see deer while using the scent frequently, and you have confidence in it, use it. The best approach is to play the wind and learn the travel routes.
Good luck all!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SALTYDOG

Post by SALTYDOG »

Years ago I used Tink’s #69..had Bucks come in and paw the film canister that I had it in....Some times it would scare the does away,I only used it on private land though.A good grunt call works best for me now during the rut....
janesy

Post by janesy »

Last year I had a #1 from the treestand. Two fawns came in to it like they were on a string and the jumped and trotted around in it while mummy watched over them for a bit before they walked off.

So scents do work. But what scent on what day? I go without .
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I’ve been using “Wind Pro Dominant Buck Synthetic Scrape Maker and Attractant” for the last 3 years. This powder is excellent for scrapes and licking branches! This powder works! It will bring bucks in and will keep them coming back! I was very skeptical until I actually tried this product. It has worked flawlessly for the last 3 years for me! It’s very reasonable for the price! Good luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
galamb

Post by galamb »

I'm a vendor and can attest that the only thing (hunting accessory) we sell more of then deer attractants is scent blocker products.

And yes, there are a ton on the market. Here in Ontario we can only use synthetic scents. A few years back there was a few choices, now we are over-run.

I get a ton of "samples" from the reps/wholesalers and have tried just about everything we have ever carried. I have never even tried quasi-scientific studies with a few different brands in a number of locations but I have come to some of my own conclusions from trying them all out.

First the attractants don't scare away all deer although I'm sure there is some that "sniff" and think "FAKE" and stay away, but some are curious.

The "pheromone" products attract no more attention than anything else. Doe Urine (non-estrous), which sells like crazy is a little less effective at drawing attention than human urine.

Most of the "synthetic" doe estrous products will attract "some bucks" - mostly spikes during the early rut. I have personally taken four bucks in the last six years burning Estrous "smoke sticks" - it doesn't matter if they are Buck Expert, Tinks or Deer Sense, if you look on the back they all have the exact same patent number.

Yesterday evening I sat out for a few hours. I dug around in my bag and found half a can of Biologic Addiction Haze (doe estrous) - the rep gave me a case last year to give him some shelf space. I figured "too early" but what the heck - went out and "spray painted" a few of the trees in front of my stand.

An hour and a half later, in full daylight (4:30) a 7 point stood broadside at 17 yards sniffing one of the trees I had sprayed. So did the product work for "that deer"? - probably - don't know if it was a "fluke" that he came in to that scent or not but it at least worked for that "one deer" (which is now hangin' on my deer pole in the backyard). But when my case lot runs out I just might spend the 8 bucks for a can of the stuff.

So my take on most of the products is: 1) they can't hurt 2) they don't scare away all deer 3) there are some dumb deer that will come to investigate and 4) they will not spontaneously create deer that aren't there in the first place :)

PS - I went out hunting right after leaving work. Got home, threw on my boots, grabbed a jacket but hunted in my "work clothes" - so probably didn't smell "april fresh" - with the wind kinda swirling and me smoking the odd cigarette the buck still got within 17 yards. I have never used any cover scents and didn't yesterday. But ask me at work and I will tell you if you don't use them you better hope you run over a deer with your vehicle on the way to your stand because you will never see a thing otherwise :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Just doe pee 4 mee. And home made vanilla killer
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.