First Buck of the Season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Art-Man

First Buck of the Season

Post by Art-Man »

This may come across as a fictional story but I can assure you this is as factual as it comes. Actually have the whole 8.5 minutes on video and I can tell you it was the longest 8.5 minutes of my life..

I have been seeing two coyotes on camera the last month and not many deer. So myself and one of my hunting partners decided we would get in a early Saturday morning sit. It was a cool Saturday morning, I had gotten it in my head that I would wack the coyotes instead of deer. The night before I picked up a remote coyote call just in case.

there it was 6:45 am and I arrived at our bush. I proceeded to walk to my stand. When I arrived at my stand I decided I would put the coyote call out just in case. While setting it up I accidentally set it off. There it was a a coyote howling as load as could be in my hand. I hurried to shut the dam thing off. Got it reset and placed on the trail in the bush to the side and proceeded to climb up into my stand.

Looking at my phone it was now 7:20 am , legal shooting time. I proceeded unleash the beast from her case and feed her a nice new arrow. Hung the beast on her hanger and proceeded to start to play around with the new go pro that i purchased a few days earlier. Was having some trouble with the Go Pro so it took up a lot of my attention span as I wasn't really in the mood to deer hunt. Finally got the camera set properly and proceeded to text my partner that I was going to call in coyotes if i didn't see any deer early.

While sitting my ADD started to kick in on overdrive. I was spending a lot of time fidgeting and moving around as I just couldn't get comfortable on this clear cool morning. It was now right about 8:05 am, I happened to glance over my shoulder around the tree and noticed a deer standing about 20 yards behind me. I said to myself, Self that is a nice little buck. I think I can sneak a shot through the opening of the tree branches as he was standing broadside to me.

I proceeded to pick up the beast form her perch, slowly turned and took aim. Had him dead to rights in my sights. Pulled the trigger and smack... nothing, deer stood there looking at me. Then the panic set in. What did i just do. First deer of the season in shooting distance and I missed. How did I miss, this just isn't happening. I come to the conclusion that I must have hit a small branch that I didn't notice in my sight.

I then thought to myself what to do now. I shot, I missed and the dam deer is still sitting 20 yards away looking at me. I decided I have nothing to loose. I slowing lowered my bow to the tree stand platform and slipped my foot into the stirrup to hold it. I slowly reached to the side of the tree to get my cocking aid out of my back pack. This was not easy to do with out making too much movement or noise. I would stop and hold my breath every time the deer would look back up at me. Finally got the cocking aid out of my back pack. Proceeded to get it set on my bow moving oh so slowly, having to stop every time the deer would look at me.

Finally the bow was re-cocked. Now I just needed to get another arrow out of the quiver that was also in my backpack. How am i going to do this with out spooking this deer. Slowly reached in and managed to unsnap an arrow from the quiver but couldn't get it out. Finally the deer decided to walk ahead a few yards and was now behind a tree. Gave me the opportunity to use two hands to free the arrow. Once I had it out of my back pack I tightened the broad head and slipped the arrow into the beast. She was ready to eat once again. As I looked up I couldn't see the deer. I thought to myself while I was not looking did I finally spook him and he ran across the field. Then just as even more panic came over me, he stepped out from behind the tree. Relief came over me, I still have a change. As I waited he started to walk to another opening in the tree line that I could get a shot in.

As he stepped out into a clear line of sight I gave him a Bleep sound and he stopped and looked my way, broad side once again. Just as he looked I let the beast eat. Heard as smack and watched that deer do a 360 in the air, get back up run 50-75 yards and crumple up. Proceeded to try and catch my breath while texting my hunting partner that we had a deer down and then send the wife a text that I was going to be longer than normal as we had a deer to clean.

Walked out and there he was, it was a crime seen. Pool of blood. It was an almost perfect shot. I only say almost because upon further investigation I had double lunged him at 30 yards but just missed catching the heart as well. Well that is my weekend deer hunting adventure. One down few more to go.
Art-Man

Re: First Buck of the Season

Post by Art-Man »

Trying to attach a couple pictures but it says board attachments quota filled. Not sure what i am doing wrong. Maybe someone can help how to add pictures to the board.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats on the buck, and heart pounding hunt, nice stuff! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Man that sucks when a deer comes along and ruins your coyote hunt !
Congrats on the deer but as you may know no pics then it didn't happen !!
Art-Man

Post by Art-Man »

It wont let me post the pics. If someone can help me out with getting them on here it would be greatly appreciated.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Art-Man wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:52 pm
It wont let me post the pics. If someone can help me out with getting them on here it would be greatly appreciated.
Go to the “other topics” page and the very first post will give you great directions.

Congrats on the deer
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer fine Tick toter, well maybe he was curious n he paid fer it :thumbup:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats on the deer sounds like an Adrenalin type situation .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the deer! Go the other topics for posting pics
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Congratulations. That sounds like my kind of hunt! Reloading in the tree stand while deer are in bow range is not an easy task. I've learned to keep my cocking rope and arrows in a reachable location just for this type of situation.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Matrix355er

Post by Matrix355er »

Great Story Art-Man
Isn't it funny how things happen sometimes when deer hunting.
Obviously it was meant to be.
Congratulations!
Micro Suppressor
Matrix 355
Matrix 380
www.boocustomstrings.com
Slick Trick BHs
BE Arrows :arrow:
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Congrats :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Buck

Post by Buck »

That’s a well earned buck! Congrats!!

Your story has me thinking.... I know I keep the rope and quiver within reach, but do I need to start bringing the crank too??

This would have undoubtedly been a challenge even with an Assasin.....
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
SALTYDOG

Post by SALTYDOG »

Good read,Congratulations...
roly

Post by roly »

Congrats , great reading.