Greeting from a new member...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Owl Creek

Greeting from a new member...

Post by Owl Creek »

With questions of coarse.

Glad to make it on the forum , i have been stalking you guys for a while.
reading lots of old post soaking up all the knowledge i can.

My name is Steve, and im from southern Missouri about 60 miles south of St.louis.
Owl Creek was my Kennel name , We use to raise, train, hunt and field trial Beagles . ( Rabbit dogs )
But when we moved this summer i sold my hounds.
which gives me more time to hunt and fish.

i have been into Archery for close to 30 years .
But now that im older ( 51 ) i think a cross bow would be a good tool to have .
and i hope to be a good fit in your forum.

NOW to the matter at hand,

i was pretty sure i wanted a Excalibur over a compound and i thought i wanted a Assassin, un-till i did some reading on here.
then it was a BD 400 then a BD 380
then a suppressor then just a 355.
from reading i see that for whitetail deer a 308 to 350 is plenty.
maybe a 380 if your going to stretch your shots out past 30 yards. or want to fun shoot on targets way out there.
i can get stuff from excal or DrStirrup. to quite it down a tad.
i will be hunting from a blind and tree stands.

i did gain lots of good information from Boo's site. ( thanks for putting all that on there)

This is where i am at right now,
instead of jumping right into a $1200 rig.
i looked around and seen a like new offspring for $300 .
i think this would be a good starter bow. i have a EZ press and i can time it and put a new string on it when needed. i know the stock one wont last long. or i seen Danny Miller can hook me up.

Then when i do get a Excalibur or maybe a Kodabow , i can let the wife use the Offspring .

if that don't pan out: i seen a used matrix 380 for $500. i have read those are still a solid choice even tho its a older model. and seems like a good price.

if that go's south, i know where a new Black out Matrix 380 is for $800.

I think this is a good plan. so please let me know if i'm wrong . i hate buyers remorse!!

i look forward to some discussions with yall.

if my plan go's up in flames, i come up with something else.

And will have lots of questions on the difference between models and what those differences do for the user.

Thanks in advance
Steve
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
xcaliber

Re: Greeting from a new member...

Post by xcaliber »

For simplicity I would go with a Matrix 380 or 355. A slower model will still shoot past 50 yards, I started with an Ibex, and it was fine. Changing cables & strings is no challenge unless you're out on a hunt, then it's an issue. This is where Excalibur bows really shine, no tuning required after swapping a string.
Anyway, good luck on your quest, and welcome to the forum.

Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Welcome to the forum Steve and thanks for the great introduction. If I were to start over again at my age (58) I believe I would go with something like the BD330 because they really shoulder and hold well and are not difficult to cock with a rope cocker plus they are plenty fast and spot on accurate like all Excalibur's.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Steve, great introduction. Welcome to the forum. :wave: You'll be very hard pressed to make a bad choice with any of the bows you've mentioned. Personally, I think the sweetest bow Excalibur has put out is the Matrix 380. I believe it's in the sweet spot of offering an abundance of power without causing a hernia while loading...assuming you're not suffering from impairing physical conditions. For $500.00 I say grab that bow NOW. They are awesome. Realistically, all the bows are scary accurate and just need to be paired with a proper setup....which many here will help you figure out. Again, thanks for your great introduction and welcome aboard.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Bcxbow wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:35 pm
Welcome to the forum Steve and thanks for the great introduction. If I were to start over again at my age (58) I believe I would go with something like the BD330 because they really shoulder and hold well and are not difficult to cock with a rope cocker plus they are plenty fast and spot on accurate like all Excalibur's.
x2
If you are in good physical condition I would recommend the BD330
If I get another one at my age it would be the BD 330 for hunting.
I am 61 and have had hernia and back surgeries and currently use the Matrix 310.
Two weeks ago I harvested a doe at 40 yards and it was a complete pass through dead center of the heart.
It was the first shot I ever took on a deer over 23 yards but was in a wide open area and she was not on alert.
I like my M310 because I can practice a few hours on the weekends without my back playing out.
The BD 330 would give me a little flatter trajectory.

Welcome aboard :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
janesy

Post by janesy »

This will sold all of your problems right here.
| |
\/

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69341
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

And welcome :wave:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Welcome
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome! All the bows you have listed are great
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

janesy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:12 pm
This will sold all of your problems right here.
| |
\/

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69341
x2

This is a very good deal for a bow that will do everything you need it to for as long as you hunt. If the missus wants to join you, you can find her a good used deal during the off season on a bow that specifically fits her. Dave will steer you straight if u give him a call. my .02.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

double post... sorry
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
artifact

Post by artifact »

Welcome Steve:
Like you I read a lot of posts on here before I invested in a crossbow, I like the simplicity of the recurve concept and high praise of Excalibur's customer service. I'm 71, in somewhat decent shape, and I went with the Matrix 380 and am very happy with it. Like the way more knowledgeable than me are saying, for ethical shots almost anything over 300fps should easily get the job done, I would look at the 330, 355, or the 380, and buy whatever seems to feel the most comfortable to you as for weight, balance, etc.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

artifact wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:29 am
...I would look at the 330, 355, or the 380, and buy whatever seems to feel the most comfortable to you as for weight, balance, etc.
Welcome Steve. That's some good advice up there. From the older Exo series through the Assassin, there are a lot of options for speed and size. I'd highly recommend putting your hands on each model first before dropping your cash. For example, I'm not a big fan of the stocks on the new BD series and the way they fit me. But many others love them. The way my Micro shoulders and carries is just perfect to me. Handle each one for a couple minutes and toss them up to your shoulder and you may find the one that just feels right for you.

Good luck in your quest.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Glad to have you on board Steve, I know its a big change from compound bows to crossbows. I'm 52 and I still shoot my vertical bow but hunt with my crossbow. I've had several of the Matrix line of crossbows from the 330-380 and they're all great but favorite is the Matrix 350. You can still buy them pretty reasonable. I'm probably going to add a Micro Suppressor to my list in the near future just to have a more compact recurve. There's a lot of great Excalibur crossbows out there so good luck on your choices.

If we can help you with anything just let us know.
Eric
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

welcome to the forum! One advantage of the Excalibur's is the ability to fix a string issue in the field. Most of the models are enough energy for taking deer and with right range and bolts you can easily hunt a lot bigger stuff. The M380 for $500 is a bargain. It is small, light and fast and comes with a pretty good trigger. There are new ones for sale at Pine Mountain Archery for $679. The anti-dry fire on the newer Excalibur's is a great idea too.