Rangefinder or No Rangefinder

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

thelopeztribe

Rangefinder or No Rangefinder

Post by thelopeztribe »

thought I would get opinions as I was sighting in my bow today and the guy asked about a rangefinder. I was like :shock: say what? Any rate, starting out, what do you recommend? Would like to hear opinions and/or recommendations on what you like and why.

Thanks,

Robert
xcaliber

Re: Rangefinder or No Rangefinder

Post by xcaliber »

If you can walk off distances from your blind, or treestand and mark them, or memorize the distances, you can get by without one. I pack one, and shoot in all directions marking my distances mentally, then I put it on a hanger. The older I get, the harder it seems to be to judge distances accurately in the woods.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
thelopeztribe

Post by thelopeztribe »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:32 pm
If you can walk off distances from your blind, or treestand and mark them, or memorize the distances, you can get by without one. I pack one, and shoot in all directions marking my distances mentally, then I put it on a hanger. The older I get, the harder it seems to be to judge distances accurately in the woods.
And what would you recommend that won't break the bank? Do I need one with Angle Intelligence? Or is that a nice to have?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I bought the cheap Bushnell Sport 450 I think it is. I used it for at least 8 years, then gave it to my Apprentice, he still using it going on 5 years now. No angle compensation. I think that is good for those hunting in hilly terrain more than just treestand hunting. I would set my bows / crossbows up on level ground, then verify POI from a 20' high perch. I found no real change in distances to 50 yards out. I upgraded my rangefinder to the next higher model, it was like $159.00, got it for $99. on eBay in February if I remember correctly, anyway after hunting season ended.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

A range finder is a nice asset I have several locations I hunt and at first light I range trees in the likely shooting lanes and remember them often when hunting their is no time for ranging when the action happens.
I bought a discontinued Nikon model about ten years ago it is still going strong only put one battery in it over the years.
Before i had a range finder I would just sit down and mentally set up some 20 yard trees and just make my best guess.
I have no angle comp on mine do not really need it If in a tree stand i just get my shooting lane yardages set up before hand buy the horizontal distance from my tree stand to other trees . I am 15 ft up so i mark range on trees straight across from me not the base of the tree. I do not hunt fields so it is not a big factor. I have taken both readings from the horizontal reading and the base or ground reading and at short hunting ranges it is only a few feet difference .
Look for a good sale on a range finder before you buy, maybe get a used on on e bay no need to break the bank on one.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Definitely buy a range finder as it saves time, reduces scent in the area as you don't need to pace off distances, and they eliminate the guesswork. I'm better than most at range and length estimation (due to my job) and I have hit deer both high and low after assuming my range estimation was bang on. The thing with deer is estimation can get difficult when only a single animal shows itself and you haven't paced off ranges. Big bodied deer appear closer than they really are while small ones appear farther than they really are.

A cheap rangefinder is better than none at all....
USAF Ret in Wis

Post by USAF Ret in Wis »

I use my golf rangefinder, works great, and use it all summer too 8)
Craig
US Air Force 1984-2007
Excalibur Assassin
Scorpyd Orion 135
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I have a Vortex Ranger and it has angle compensation it. Lifetime Warranty.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NFUN28/?&tag=hydsma-20&ref=pd_sl_706lqq2u3c_e&adgrpid=60132526310&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=274741320871&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16344230864269531030&hvqmt=e&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026493&hvtargid=kwd-304276115956

Tried an inexpensive one first and it failed first time I used it. Don’t need the hassle.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I would go with something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BUSHNELL-YARDAGE-PRO-RANGE-FINDER-HUNTING-SUPPLIES/292827547788?hash=item442de1c88c:g:1RAAAOSwg-tb9cvk:rk:19:pf:0&LH_ItemCondition=4

the seller has a 100 % approval rating
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Get as good as you would eventually get. Why buy 2 or 3 when you really only want or need ? One of the beauties about better rangefinders is that they can double as a decent monocular. My wife bought me a Leica years ago. It's more clear than some binos and you can see a bit better through them than you can with your naked eye in low light. I no longer bring binos when bow hunting.
I am not saying that everyone should go out and buy a Leica, I am saying that the better one that you will end up with will likely be better in all ways to the first one. This is 4th rangefinder in my hunting career and I wish my wife bought me a Leica when I first started big game hunting. :lol: I'll have to have a few words with her :eusa-popcorn:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
thelopeztribe

Post by thelopeztribe »

USAF Ret in Wis wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:54 am
ha!! I was wondering about doing that...LOL...Which one do you have?
thelopeztribe

Post by thelopeztribe »

gerald strine wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:44 am
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BUSHNELL-YARDAGE-PRO-RANGE-FINDER-HUNTING-SUPPLIES/292827547788?hash=item442de1c88c:g:1RAAAOSwg-tb9cvk:rk:19:pf:0&LH_ItemCondition=4

Thanks for this. Wow.....guess I can find a good basic one at a reasonable price then.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

thelopeztribe wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:07 am
gerald strine wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks for this. Wow.....guess I can find a good basic one at a reasonable price then.
I would stick with the major optic makers like bushnell, nikon,Leopold, ect the other brands I would stay away from.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Get A range finder it is one thing I always make sure I have . With it you can confirm the distance without guessing right now I am working with a Halo Xrt7 did not cost me to much .
USAF Ret in Wis

Post by USAF Ret in Wis »

thelopeztribe wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:04 am
USAF Ret in Wis wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:54 am
ha!! I was wondering about doing that...LOL...Which one do you have?
I have the Bushnell Tour v3, its 2 years old, but works great.
Craig
US Air Force 1984-2007
Excalibur Assassin
Scorpyd Orion 135