Axiom Velocity

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cvbrewer

Axiom Velocity

Post by Cvbrewer »

Hi Guys,

New forum member who has been hunting and shooting an Axiom that I bought as a kit with the original string, Firebolt 265 grain bolts, and 150 grain heads. It is very accurate and I love it. When the lens popped out of the included scope, I bought a Nikon P3, which I think replaces the Bolt. It's pretty sweet, but has a reticle set up for 300 fps. I think (could someone confirm?) that my current set up ought to shoot around 275fps or so. I understand that my bow is capable of 300fps, but that I may have to change strings and or reduce the weight of my bolts, which brings me to my two questions:

First, what effect could I get from a string swap, and to which string?

Second, could I switch from 150 to 100 points to reduce bolt weight? I am somewhat concerned about having a low P.O.S. if I did so. Would using 100 gr heads have a negative effect on my accuracy? I did see in the sticky that one poster seemed to be using Firebolts with 100gr tips.

Finally, I understand that I could easily use the scope as is with the understanding that the aiming points may just be a bit closer, which I may do, but I will be needing a new string before long anyway.

Thanks,
CV
xcaliber

Re: Axiom Velocity

Post by xcaliber »

I would stay with heads of at least 125 grains because of the low front insert weight. Get a Flemish String from one of the guys on the trading post to increase your speed, then check the scope at various distances. I think you're going to be surprised.
Good luck,
Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Welcome to the forum x 2 on the advise given I would stick with the heavy head to keep up your foc , penetration and accuracy.
From what I have herd with a Flemish string on the Axiom and the bolt scope your yardage marks should be very close.
At the bottom of the page go to jump to trading post and buy your string from any of the makers their you cant go wrong just tell them what you want and you will get a great product.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome As others have said stay with a heavier arrow
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

On my ibex (same bow as yours but has a thumb hole stock) l have it set at 20 yards is an inch or 2 high then it is dead on out to 60 yards..with your same scope .. .more than l want to shoot at game I'm shooting a 435 grain bolt . Dont worry about speed with that bow l shot a bolt as described above thru a full size 200 pound buck lengthwise. The heavy bolt is what you want .Its basically a under 40 yard bow just like any other ethical hunting shot the heavy bolt is what you want. My friend is shooting the excalibur fire bolt with the new shwacker 150 crossbow out of his axiom and killed 2 big bucks and 4 doe this year there is nothing wrong with your setup.The weight your gonna drop is like a half inch at 30 yards not worth going lighter.And the above string advice is golden.
Last edited by longbow joe on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
galamb

Post by galamb »

My Vix II is rated at a max of 285 fps.

I use a custom flemish string with string whiskers, have S5's and Dissipator bars installed and shoot a 394 grain arrow/head combination total weight.

My chrono'd speed at 5 feet from the (muzzle) is 272 fps.

Given your model is rated at 20 feet faster I would suspect that even shooting 415 grains with a factory string that you are shooting a lot closer to 300 fps than you believe.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

After you have killed a few deer with the vixen 2 .you realize that its really all you really need.l killed my big 8 point swamp buck with the vixen 2 l love that little bow.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Your scope has a warranty, call Dan Miller and he'll get you a new scope.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
galamb

Post by galamb »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:37 am
After you have killed a few deer with the vixen 2 .you realize that its really all you really need.l killed my big 8 point swamp buck with the vixen 2 l love that little bow.
Totally agree. And that is why I haven't upgraded despite being "tempted" by all the new offerings over the last dozen years.

"I Want" has not swayed my wallet yet because "I Don't Need" :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

My Axiom with Nikon Bolt shooting 420 grain bolts has the 20 yard mark dead on, the 30 yard mark is dead on at 27.7 yards and the 40 yards mark is dead on at 37.2 yards. We used a rangefinder and shot a bolt, stepped back, shot a bolt stepped back. When the bolt went into the bullseye we re-checked the range and wrote it down on a paper that we taped to the side of the stock. If you use a rangefinder and make a chart you will be able to shoot right where you want to at those ranges out to 40 yards. We did switch to a 20" bolt with 110 grain insert and still use a 150 grain broadhead. The total weight is 460 grains. It makes less than 1 inch of difference compared to the 420 grain bolts at those distances. Our velocity is 288.5 FPS on the chronograph. There are other ways to tweak more speed out of the bow but I am not sure exactly how, my Dad takes care of that stuff.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

XB I GO wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 pm
My Axiom with Nikon Bolt shooting 420 grain bolts has the 20 yard mark dead on, the 30 yard mark is dead on at 27.7 yards and the 40 yards mark is dead on at 37.2 yards. We used a rangefinder and shot a bolt, stepped back, shot a bolt stepped back. When the bolt went into the bullseye we re-checked the range and wrote it down on a paper that we taped to the side of the stock. If you use a rangefinder and make a chart you will be able to shoot right where you want to at those ranges out to 40 yards. We did switch to a 20" bolt with 110 grain insert and still use a 150 grain broadhead. The total weight is 460 grains. It makes less than 1 inch of difference compared to the 420 grain bolts at those distances. Our velocity is 288.5 FPS on the chronograph. There are other ways to tweak more speed out of the bow but I am not sure exactly how, my Dad takes care of that stuff.
Great info XB just what he was looking for do you know what string you are using. factory or custom ect?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

That was with the factory string that came with the bow.
Cvbrewer

Post by Cvbrewer »

Thanks guys,

I will stick with my bolts and 150 heads to keep penetration and and a good FOC balance and look into getting a custom string from the forum. That ought to pick me up a few fps. Then I'll just do as XB did and pattern my reticle marks with a good rangefinder.

Thanks to everyone for steering me in the right direction. The advice from everyone is consistent, and it supports what I was thinking.

Happy Holidays and Happy Hunting

CV
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

You can go on nikon's website on " spot on" punch in your exact arrow n broadhead it is usually spot on the money
janesy

Post by janesy »

Cvbrewer wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:54 pm
Thanks guys,

I will stick with my bolts and 150 heads to keep penetration and and a good FOC balance and look into getting a custom string from the forum. That ought to pick me up a few fps. Then I'll just do as XB did and pattern my reticle marks with a good rangefinder.

Thanks to everyone for steering me in the right direction. The advice from everyone is consistent, and it supports what I was thinking.

Happy Holidays and Happy Hunting

CV
Your definately heading in the right direction. A nice Flemish string is a great investment. Once you use them, you stick with them as they do have a much better "feel" on the shot. Not to mention the look cool.
But, I wouldn't necessarily go about buying one expecting an increase in speed. Occasionally someone will get a little speed from one, but from my limited experience chances are it's because the new string is lighter than the old string and nothing more. Not necessarily a plus.
Most Flemish strings are heavier or designed with a material that isn't as elastic(read: not forgiving). These aspects are what add to the solid "feel" of the shot and help eliminate vibrations. These are the benefits I appreciate from a nice string.

One thing to note, the factory string is the safest option, for your bows longevity. That's why they come one these bows. I think most string makers will agree that a new shooter will benefit more from the factory string while they orient themselves and developed safe consistent shooting habits. The other part of that is that if the string isn't broke, keep shooting.

I have a good friend, and I'll keep details to a minimum, but just upgraded from a "slow" long limb to a new matrix BD model. Destroyed 2 arrows on the first two shots. Arrows not seated correctly. Possibly the long limber being more forgiving, helped mask any imperfections in his developed technique. Point being, the best thing you could do, is developed safe shooting practices and shoot shoot shoot! Enjoy your bow :thumbup:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme