2019 Excaliburs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: 2019 Excaliburs

Post by vixenmaster »

I spect the fps will be based on the 350 gr total arrow weight. So we are looking at much lower fps usin 400 gr + arrows. They must have developed much better limb material than the Glas they have been usin fer yrs. I will say these models will step out in very high prices about the 2 K area. The prices have left me out fer new crossbows. To those wid deep pockets wring these 2 models on out n lets see what they can do :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I'm thinking the 440 will push a 430 grain arrow around 405-410'ish with the stock string.. All of my Excal's seem to loose roughly 1 fps for every 3 grains over the 350 grain bench mark arrow.... Just hoping the bows overall length is'nt too long..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

Both nice bows kinda curious where they price out though I can see the 420 Assassin going for a lot but I look for the Bulldog 440 to be priced about the same as the current Assassin.
I do like seeing the switch to Black Eagle Arrows.
Looks like good things coming for 2019.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
dharris84

Post by dharris84 »

Having bought the Assassin earlier this year I will upgrade to the new 420. It is an unbelievable bow but did like the speed of my 405. Heard the MSRP was $1699.00 for the new 420.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Hi5 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:02 pm
Speed DOES make a difference. It makes trajectory less of a factor, it makes target movement less of a factor.
Makes absolute arrow perfection more of an issue. At faster and faster speeds it will harder and harder to maintain accuracy. Probably eliminates fixed blade heads for most guys, and may also mean mechanical BH modifications to keep blades closed at the initial acceleration of the arrow.

Things to consider IMO
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
SEW

Post by SEW »

Never count Excalibur out! I’m impressed!
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

nchunterkw wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:11 am
Hi5 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:02 pm
Speed DOES make a difference. It makes trajectory less of a factor, it makes target movement less of a factor.
Makes absolute arrow perfection more of an issue. At faster and faster speeds it will harder and harder to maintain accuracy. Probably eliminates fixed blade heads for most guys, and may also mean mechanical BH modifications to keep blades closed at the initial acceleration of the arrow.

Things to consider IMO
Two very good points to consider... and you may have saved me some $$$$...
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ahhhh l think Anthony should be the first testor to buy one......l hear its gonna be a buisy tax season he should treat himself!....Enough four runner accessories already!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Normous

Post by Normous »

nchunterkw wrote:

Things to consider IMO
Some mechanical broadhead manufactures have stepped up their game to address blade retention at high speed launch using today's fastest crossbows.

Take a look at SWAT broadheads launching their new VECTOR 4 blade mechanical with a 1.75" X 1.75" ( 3.5" Total cut) cut through a 1" plywood TWICE at 460 fps without breaking / bending a blade or opening at launch.

Their 2018 release X Mag has a 3 3/4" total cut and does not open at speeds tested at 470 fps. The beer can sized holes in deer are just incredible.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
dithian

Post by dithian »

If I were an engineer designing crossbows, I'd always be trying to make a faster, smaller, lighter bow as much for the challenge as for the end result. If I were in the business of selling those bows, I'd feel pressure to keep upping the speed just to stay competitive. But as a user of crossbows, I have to say that higher speeds actually detract from what I see as the fundamental challenge and skill of crossbow hunting, which is to get close to the game undetected and knowing their behavior well enough to understand when to and not to pull the trigger. If I wanted to hunt at longer ranges (and the extra speed we're talking about doesn't really expand it that much) with a flatter trajectory, I'd switch to a rifle. I also wonder about the relative downrange safety of such fierce bows. The gear junkie in me would obviously love to play with the new tech (and if they wanted to give me one, I'd take it), but the hunter in me thinks this is overkill. I'd prefer to see improvements to weight and size within the current speed range.

On another note, and I've expressed this to Excalibur, I have issues with calling a crossbow "Assassin". A brand aligning itself by its name with the concepts of honor and fraternity referring to its flagship product as "Assassin", which by definition is a thing not of honor but of subversion, leaves a sour taste for me. It glorifies the killing, not the harvest. I hunt to eat and to help control an invasive species, not for bloodlust. I like Excalibur as much for its community (in this forum, are we not sitting at the proverbial round table?) as much for its quality products and customer service. I'm not keen to share that table with those excited to think of themselves as assassins.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Normous wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:58 pm
nchunterkw wrote:

Things to consider IMO
Some mechanical broadhead manufactures have stepped up their game to address blade retention at high speed launch using today's fastest crossbows.

Take a look at SWAT broadheads launching their new VECTOR 4 blade mechanical with a 1.75" X 1.75" ( 3.5" Total cut) cut through a 1" plywood TWICE at 460 fps without breaking / bending a blade or opening at launch.

Their 2018 release X Mag has a 3 3/4" total cut and does not open at speeds tested at 470 fps. The beer can sized holes in deer are just incredible.
X2 I used the X Mag for Deer hunting this year. The exit wound and blood trail was outstanding!! :)

I tested the Xmag along side my field points. Literally same hole POI = a confident bow hunter. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:36 pm
I tested the Xmag along side my field points. Literally same hole POI = a confident bow hunter. :)
That's a huge deal! I love my wasp drones, but as close as they are I do re zero a bit. I want to be able to practice in my basement all season. But that's costly on tarhets and not much fun in the basement shooting with broadheads
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

The SWAT X MAG routinely printed within 1/4" of my field points at 25 yards from both Excalibur and Scorpyd crossbows.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

longbow joe wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:09 pm
Ahhhh l think Anthony should be the first testor to buy one......l hear its gonna be a buisy tax season he should treat himself!....Enough four runner accessories already!
.....too funny LBJ.... I kept reading through the thread to see where you were gonna rib me.... n here it is! :lol: ... as I approach 61... I am starting to mellow for sure...

.....to be honest I absolutely love my Assassin.... it fits me perfectly.... I couldn’t care less anymore about the speed.... it’s the fit for me....

.....not really impressed with anything I have read on either of the two bows... “take down” really .... was this really an issue?....nah!

.....again... not really interested.... think I’ll sit back in my rocker and watch what’s going on from the sidelines...

.....good luck to all who take the plunge with the new offerings!

Anthony :thumbup:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Normous wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:58 pm
nchunterkw wrote:

Things to consider IMO

These sound promising. Was most of the testing with wheeled crossbows? Remember that the instantaneous acceleration from a re-curve and compound is much different. And it's the instantaneous accel. that tends to pop open a blade. It sounds like they are attentive to it now.....but these new bows are the tops in speed for recurves are they not?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><