New Micro Suppressor

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CTXbowHunter

New Micro Suppressor

Post by CTXbowHunter »

Hello all,

Just joined the forum and Excal crowd. First I would like to thank everyone who contributes to this forum as this is why I chose Excalibur. I did a lot of searching and decided between the warranty/ customer service reputation and the assistance from this forum, this was the right bow.

Initial thought was holy crap this thing is horrible to cock. I just came from a Horton RDX with Acudraw. Once I figured it out its not bad.

I had a few issues getting the bow sighted in and made some observations on quill arrows.

Each quill shot different depending on which vane is down. My initial sight in, I used 1 arrow and 1 practice broadhead. After sight in I shot a group of 3 from 40 yds with an average group just over 4 inches. Initially I thought wind and new bow had something to do with it.

Yesterday I took it to an indoor range and shot multiple groups with each arrow with a different vane down each time. I had read up on this while searching this forum. I was able to find 1 vane on each arrow to make a decent group at 40 yds but if I used the worst position on each arrow, I could get a group about 6 inches at 40 yds. I have shot vertical bows since 1993 and crossbows since 2008 and have never seen arrows act like this. Is this normal for the stock quill?

I did the responsible things and ordered executioner arrows from Wyvern Creations.
mr meat

Re: New Micro Suppressor

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the bow and welcome to the forum
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great introduction. There are some outstanding members here with a lot of knowledge and they are very willing to share so don’t hold back on asking.

Although I have never shot quills I am very experienced with the diablos and in my opinion you made the right choice by ordering the executioners but it would help if you would say which broadhead you were trying to get to group to help narrow the culprit.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The suppressor is stiff to cock no doubt about that!

The Black eagle arrows will improve your groups immensely!!

Enjoy the new bow!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Welcome! :wave:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
BigOLayne

Post by BigOLayne »

Welcome to the forum and have you looked into the hand-crank?
The folks on the forum have definitely guided me in the direction...
Assassin
Hha speed optimizer/tact zone
USAF retired
Dr.Stirrup
CTXbowHunter

Post by CTXbowHunter »

Bcxbow wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:01 pm
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great introduction. There are some outstanding members here with a lot of knowledge and they are very willing to share so don’t hold back on asking.

Although I have never shot quills I am very experienced with the diablos and in my opinion you made the right choice by ordering the executioners but it would help if you would say which broadhead you were trying to get to group to help narrow the culprit.
[/quote

I was using 125 grain Grim Reaper practice tips. I did a quick spin test on all arrows an didn't see any deflection in the heads. I had very similar results with the 150 grain field points that came with the bow.

I typically only practice with broadheads since I am not a 3d shooter and focus mainly on whitetails, turkey and coyotes. I had a ton of issues with the bolt cutter 150 grain heads which is what led me to try the reapers which is what I used with my Horton. I did not go back and try the bolt cutter once all of my shooting was done. (I have 10 days of deer season and would like to put one more in the freezer this year)I
CTXbowHunter

Post by CTXbowHunter »

BigOLayne wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:39 pm
I did look into the crank but I'm comfortable with the 280 lbs draw. I was not ready the first time I pulled it back and even with the short draw, it proved much more difficult than the dedd sled on the horton.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

CTXbowHunter wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:55 pm
BigOLayne wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:39 pm
I did look into the crank but I'm comfortable with the 280 lbs draw. I was not ready the first time I pulled it back and even with the short draw, it proved much more difficult than the dedd sled on the horton.
I hear ya! Lol

I now have the Micro 335. It's about all I can handle from a recurve now. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

If you're having the same results with field points than you will definitely see a big improvement with the BE's. You may also want to sacrifice one reaper and glue the blades closed so you are getting the most accurate results, practice heads don't necessarily fly identical to the real thing. Good luck
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats on the bow. The arrows that came with the package should do better than that, what weight heads are you using? The upgrade on arrows is a good move, hope you get dialed in soon, and enjoy her to the max!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
CTXbowHunter

Post by CTXbowHunter »

xcaliber wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:31 am
Congrats on the bow. The arrows that came with the package should do better than that, what weight heads are you using? The upgrade on arrows is a good move, hope you get dialed in soon, and enjoy her to the max!
I did manage to get the quills dialed in. 1 inch group at 40 yards. I numbered my arrows and vanes, I shot each arrow with a different "cock vane", what I soon realized is each arrow shot differently depending on where the spine was located. I found what vane got me closest on target then marked which vane would be the cock vane.

I am shooting 125 grain grim reaper whitetail specials with a 25 grain weight attached to the insert. I figured this would get me the 150 grain tip that excalibur recommends.

The best news is I shot a decent 7 point buck at 22 yards yesterday morning just after sunrise with excellent results. He was quartering toward and I slipped it just forward of his right leg with an exit just behind his left. He didn't make it 30 yards. A great way to break in the excalibur for sure.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Excellent news there all the way around, CONGRATS!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats on the new bow and harvest nice way to wind down the season.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

CTXbowHunter wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:14 pm
xcaliber wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:31 am
I did manage to get the quills dialed in. 1 inch group at 40 yards. I numbered my arrows and vanes, I shot each arrow with a different "cock vane", what I soon realized is each arrow shot differently depending on where the spine was located. I found what vane got me closest on target then marked which vane would be the cock vane.

I am shooting 125 grain grim reaper whitetail specials with a 25 grain weight attached to the insert. I figured this would get me the 150 grain tip that excalibur recommends.

The best news is I shot a decent 7 point buck at 22 yards yesterday morning just after sunrise with excellent results. He was quartering toward and I slipped it just forward of his right leg with an exit just behind his left. He didn't make it 30 yards. A great way to break in the excalibur for sure.

That is the way to work yer arrows in to site them, :thumbup: Congrats on yer nice tick toter
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315