Why the black crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Why the black crossbows

Post by longbow joe »

I was walking to my stand on Saturday and my friend was 200 yards away. He had his new totally blacked out Barnett bow. He was in total camo mask and all but his black bow just "popped " out like a sore thumb. Every move the black just caught my eye every time of movement. With the leaves off the trees and the faded winter woods made it way worse of course. If it had been early season never would have noticed it or him. Dont get me wrong the black bows are cool for sure l love them and the way they look .l realize deer and other animals are color blind but do see shades . Turkey see color .When l see a black bear or Turkey in the fall they "pop"the same way. I have a black micro but its strictly a blind bow for me. Why would a hunter go to extreme measures with total face to toe camo and buy a black bow as an only bow to use in a stand year round just baffles me.l feel the same way a about black stainless rifles. I have one but its spray painted camo.sounds anal but l literally do everything l can to not be seen at all in the woods why go backwards if you don't have to.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Carnivorous

Re: Why the black crossbows

Post by Carnivorous »

Never had an issue with getting busted with my Black bows. Movement is more important than camo! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Perfect inside a pop-up blind

Post by newbie »

Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 am
Never had an issue with getting busted with my Black bows. Movement is more important than camo! :)
Im with Jeff for once on this! Regardless what i am wearing for clothes or holding for bow or gun movements is what will bust you.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Once you go black...... :mrgreen:

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:56 am
Once you go black...... :mrgreen:

Then what? :lol:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Like some commercials say here is your new rifle. My guess rifle guys like black ones to feel like they are still rifle hunters LOL :evil:
Although the blind use does make sense.
nonova0074

Post by nonova0074 »

All my bows and new GRZ2 are black with red strings never had a problem. I harvested a black bear on the ground at 25 yards and he never saw me. As long as your scent control and movements are under control you are fine.
GRZ2-Custom Carbon Fiber Hydro Dipped
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

they are definetly at home in any blind but other then that im guessing its the owners preference just like when a vehicle is purchased
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I wear all black when I am in a ground blind so I blend in with the background. We've looked in the blind from the outside I can see my camo bow but not me with all black on. So a black bow would be great in the ground blind.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

newbie wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:36 am
Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 am
Im with Jeff for once on this! Regardless what i am wearing for clothes or holding for bow or gun movements is what will bust you.

X2 :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I assure l wasn't trying to offend anyone here . Another factor is out here in the suburbs l spend a lot of time I'm in back of someone's home ..many times an anti hunters homes ..the last thing l need is a little boy running back to his mom ...saying that a man is behind our house with a "black rifle" ...that's the last thing l need .l go to extreme measures not to be seen ... At all .l have had humans pass 5 feet away and not see me...its kinda fun to be honest
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Joe I do not hunt enclosed blinds and do not own any black bows I prefer camo, I never liked the tactical look of black on bows I want to feel like a hunter not a swat team member and black makes feel like a sniper.
The truth is the composite gun stocks were pushed on the market when good walnut was getting hared to find in the 70's , 80's , they are great in poor weather, fantastic for target guns , but very poor at giving me any nostalgic feelings of ownership like checkered walnut can.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

longbow joe wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:24 pm
I assure l wasn't trying to offend anyone here . Another factor is out here in the suburbs l spend a lot of time I'm in back of someone's home ..many times an anti hunters homes ..the last thing l need is a little boy running back to his mom ...saying that a man is behind our house with a "black rifle" ...that's the last thing l need .l go to extreme measures not to be seen ... At all .l have had humans pass 5 feet away and not see me...its kinda fun to be honest
No offense here Joe as I would expect there was none with the others. I use my black bow almost exclusively in the blind and a camo bow in the trees or open cover ground hunting. :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

gerald strine wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:54 pm
Joe I do not hunt enclosed blinds and do not own any black bows I prefer camo, I never liked the tactical look of black on bows I want to feel like a hunter not a swat team member and black makes feel like a sniper.
The truth is the composite gun stocks were pushed on the market when good walnut was getting hared to find in the 70's , 80's , they are great in poor weather, fantastic for target guns , but very poor at giving me any nostalgic feelings of ownership like checkered walnut can.
I carried my full stainless/synthetic combo rifle this year for a rainy snowy moose hunt. And It was nice not to have to worry about it all the time.
I have a collection of wood blued rifles I've bought for my boy. But I'm leaning further and further to the no maintenance side every day.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme