Red dot scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sirwill

Red dot scope

Post by sirwill »

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a red dot scope on your Excalibur’s? I’m happy with my dead zone scope, just wondering of pros and cons of the dot scopes.
Normous

Re: Red dot scope

Post by Normous »

My current red dot that I am putting through the paces is the Vortex Venom Mini Red Dot.

So far I am finding no negatives.

It is very light at 1.1 oz , 1.5 oz with mount (included).

Very clear coated glass.

Very fast target acquisition, shoot with both eye open.

10 brightness settings, battery can last 30,000 hours on low.

Affordable.
Last edited by Normous on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I had one on a Turkey crossbow had the dot too bright....one came in super early looked like I was looking into a solar flare . My two cents says save yer money .Your micro can easily shoot 40 yards if need be. You need a scope. Save your money and buy a twilite or even a nikon bolt ...much clearer optics . If your only gonna shoot 30 yards then the dot might be ok for you.what I'm saying is that you might miss the magnification. If you do dont buy a cheap dot one if it's not 200 bucks its pretty much junk....stay away from tru glow lol. Total junk
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
sirwill

Post by sirwill »

Very true and solid advise... I do enjoy the magnification of the Dead Zone... By the way, any idea of exactly how much magnification the Dead Zone has?
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

It seems to me that a lot would depend on what you are shooting at, and what arrow speed your bow can produce.

If you are shooting big game, why would you need magnification at archery distance? If you are shooting squirrels, a rangefinder and hashmarks on the vertical cross hair might be a benefit. I don't see it for big game, though.

If you are shooting a 400fps arrow, you don't need extra horizontal crosshairs or hashmarks. At any ethical archery distance, on big game, the most you need to do is to "shade" the dot a bit high, or a bit low.

Both my hunting bows are dot equipped, one with a Shield, the other a Hensholdt. They are pricey, but reliable, and they auto adjust for the level of ambient light.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I put my fastfire ff3 on my micro a couple seasons ago and shot it a 20 yards. I liked that it made the already compact bow lighter and more compact. Plus it is really good for getting a quick site picture and picking up game with both eyes open. At the time I was having major issues getting the 335 to shoot well so not really knowing if the sight was adding to the trouble I took it off. Now that I have my bow shooting well again I may try that sight again. I use one on my turkey gun and love it.
Tlyle

Post by Tlyle »

I use a Tru Glo on a Vortex with no issue. Just put the dot on anything out to 30 yards and lights out. Very affordable and reliable.
Matrix 380, Zombie Slayers, TT 2.5
Matrix 360 Bulldog Blackout, TT 1.5
Shoot Straight, Eat Steak!
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

One of the ACOG Crossbow models is the way to go.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Ha Ha at 8 hundred to 1000 bucks ya thats the one I want LOL ouch maybe I'll stick with my 150 dollar burris thats 4 years old and going strong I'd be afraid ti take it out of the box
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

if your use to magnification a red dot might be strange to get use to. ive used bushnell trs 25-s and various TruGlo s on crossbows and shotguns. ive found them all to work fine. the size of the dot comes into play too. most lower price red dots are 3-5 MOA . i like the smaller 2 MOA dots, you can find them on the Sig Sauer Romeo 5-s. got mine little over 100$ on ebay
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

I put a Burris FF2 on my son's matrix 330.practice out to 30-35yds.works great and the brightness is adjustable.has the 8 mil dot .very light .recently picked a a micro 335 and might try it on that.looking to have and Xtra light set-up for wandering around public land
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Tru glow. Easily fill with snow or moisture,causing blurred dots. Pain to hassle with in tree stand , if you brought tissue . Front side like a mirror. At 20 yrds kinda reflects light. Etc.
Karl

Post by Karl »

It was good to read this thread. I'd like to try a red dot as I dont need magnfication and shoot all sorts of firearms to 75+ yards with red dots. The issue I was worried about was whether the reverse recoil aspect of a crossbow can shake a red dot apart like air rifles apparently can?
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Karl

I seriously doubt that the innards of a quality red dot sight are any more frail than the innards of the cheaper scopes that are routinely attached and widely used on crossbows. I wouldn't worry ...
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.