Wisconsin 2019 crossbow change in season.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Riflemanz

Wisconsin 2019 crossbow change in season.

Post by Riflemanz »

I sent a e mail to the DNR about the proposed change to limit the crossbow hunting season.
Here is the reply I got back,
I would like to thank you for your comments related to January 23, 2019 information item 4.B.1. - Season options to balance crossbow and archery success rates. Please note that no action was taken on this item. However, the Board expressed interest that it return before the Board for their consideration as a Statement of Scope.
So I'm hoping for a full 2019 season.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
xcaliber

Re: Wisconsin 2019 crossbow change in season.

Post by xcaliber »

Good Luck Steve, and the rest of you Badgers!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

We have enough to worry about fighting anti hunters...its too bad this is going on..last I checked tag sales and hunter recruitment is on it's way down not up...crossbows are a great way to get people into hunting and keep people hunting...make sure you keep on this and good on you for contacting your dnr
USAF Ret in Wis

Post by USAF Ret in Wis »

The Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc has a huge agenda to limit crossbow hunting.

Hard to believe we have to fight other hunters to keep our season. They don't understand we are on the same side.

Stoopid is as stoopid does :eusa-doh:
Craig
US Air Force 1984-2007
Excalibur Assassin
Scorpyd Orion 135
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

USAF Ret in Wis wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:24 pm
The Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc has a huge agenda to limit crossbow hunting.

Hard to believe we have to fight other hunters to keep our season. They don't understand we are on the same side.

Stoopid is as stoopid does :eusa-doh:
Keep up the good fight. We had exactly the same issue from an identical flavor of group in West Virginia. It took about five years, but eventually we've finally caught up with neighboring states that have a single inclusive archery season. Though they mandated arrows must be at least 18" long for some stupid reason just to stick it to us Micro fans.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

I thought I read something last yr ,when this same issue started.

that over 60 % of families who archery hunt in wisc. have a crossbow hunter , or something like that

we actually do not have a said" crossbow season ", but during a ham hunt or rifle hunt you can use one if you wanted

only way you can hunt crossbow during arxhery season - when a doctor signs a statement that your "dissabilites " don't allow you to draw a bow or hold a weight of 25 lbs or something.

lots of guys have doctor "buddies" who pencil whip it for them. Cheaters basically ,according to archery dyehards
I love my exomax but it gets, here in Az, very limited time in the field. I willy have to get it to wisc, before this stupid law really does get approved.

:eusa-deadhorse:
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

Riflemanz's post is the first i have heard of anything negative about xbows. none of the outdoor columns i have read or outdoor tv reports or dnr interviews i have watched mentioned such a thing. i'm guessing the "board" he refers to is the same one with that guy from waukesha on it who went after xbows last year and got his butt kicked. everything i've seen since then has been either pro xbow or neutral. so i will remain vigilant but i'm really not worried. keep us posted if you learn more, riflemanz.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Thanks for the update!

This is being driven by Kaz on the NRB in conjunction with the WBA, and they will NEVER give up.

We should ALL be worried until he's off the NRB.

(And for those that don't know, Kaz runs a large archery shop in SE WI and sells LOTS of crossbows, including Excals. Earlier this year I sent an email to the Excal and Ravin people asking how they can support a dealer that is working diligently to significantly limit the crossbow season in WI.)
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:04 pm
Good Luck Steve, and the rest of you Badgers!
X 2 :thumbup:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

ThunderXB wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:32 pm
Thanks for the update!

This is being driven by Kaz on the NRB in conjunction with the WBA, and they will NEVER give up.

We should ALL be worried until he's off the NRB.

(And for those that don't know, Kaz runs a large archery shop in SE WI and sells LOTS of crossbows, including Excals. Earlier this year I sent an email to the Excal and Ravin people asking how they can support a dealer that is working diligently to significantly limit the crossbow season in WI.)
evidently i typed too soon. i just read an article in jsonline and it's definitely Greg Kazmierski up to his shenanigans again. thunder is right. we in WI need to keep on top of this. i am heartened by the fact that horizontal is gaining in numbers and vertical is declining strictly from a standpoint of K-ski getting changes to the archery season pushed through. i could care less who hunts with what but the kas is clearly bothered by it.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-smith/2019/01/25/crossbow-season-deserves-study-before-changes-proposed/2669840002/
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Most archery shops are finding that crossbow buyers are one and done. Where as compound shooters need more help with form and tuning etc etc. In the beginning they felt crossbows would increase their business but they are finding the opposite to be true.
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Here we go again . Two things i would like to point out . First Kaz claims the sales of hunting license did not go up like promised . Well they did stay about the same for archery . But they have gone way down for gun . That's because there are less hunters now in Wisconsin .So without crossbow the archery license would of dropped too. Second Kaz should be very careful about demonizing any type of hunting . Because we found out after this last election that only Madison and Milwaukee really count for state wide voting and I would guess there's not a lot of support for deer hunting of any kind there. I have sent E:mails to the N.R.B asking Kaz to be recused from voting on any crossbow issue because of his bias and I would ask anyone from Wisconsin to do the same.
Jim
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

I did see Paul Smith's article and sent him an email about it (I know him from a few of his past articles I was involved with.)

The fact is, that there really is no overwhelming outcry over the use of Crossbows in WI other than by the WBA and their frontman Kaz.

The deer kill hasn't changed much, the only change is some shifting of the methods of harvest, obviously increasing the percentage taken with crossbows since introduced a few years ago. Common sense dictates that as a newly approved hunting method, the crossbow kill would increase and then, as in other states, eventually stabilize, no big surprise there. The other non-surprise is that the vertical bow kill percent is down, uh, duh :wtf: , those hunters moved to crossbows, the crossbow season didn't drive those vertical bow hunters out of the sport.

The WBA has always been an elitist group and will continue to be so, they've got Kaz's ear and a lobbying presence, they will stick to this issue until they get something changed or the NRB, DNR or overall public pressure kills the issue.

When given the chance to vote on it last spring, an overwhelming number of both individual respondents and a majority of WI counties, were happy with with the crossbow season as it is. That should have been the end of it. It should be a non-issue, but it won't be.

This is going to be a continuing issue, whether it gets a lot of publicity or not, until Kaz's term ends in 2023.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
USAF Ret in Wis

Post by USAF Ret in Wis »

I've contacted Excalibur and Mission, as Kas sells their crossbows in his shop.

Excalibur replied that he does not get them from the factory, but a different distributor provides them. Peter is well aware of this Kas clown.

Mission just said they would pass the information along.
Craig
US Air Force 1984-2007
Excalibur Assassin
Scorpyd Orion 135