Ramcat crossbow broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

Ramcat crossbow broadheads

Post by hunter with MS »

I am thinking about switching to the ramcat crossbow broadhead . Who Is using them and how do you like them ? Right now I am using Muzzy trocar crossbow and am not really impressed with them. I am shooting them from a G340 and a Grz2 both 100 grain and 125 grain .
deerman41

Re: Ramcat crossbow broadheads

Post by deerman41 »

I use 100gr, like them very much, most accurate ones I've shot out of my bow. They will tear up a target pulling them out, cut both ways.
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Probably right there with the bolcutter and slick trick. Very accurate with a big cut. Not so good in a wind and a pia in the quiver are the only downs . Almost as big a cut as most expandables.lf not indexed they will not clear a wrapped stirrup.Blades very thin but still seem tough enough. After a few shots in a block target blades will sometimes be less than perfect. Basically the biggest fixed blade your gonna get.lt might not matter or not but they are made in china ....like 95 percent of any other broadhead lol. They flew really great out of my micro with a 110 brass.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I think I'll stick with Muzzy as I think they are still made in the usa ,
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

hunter with MS wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:00 am
I get what you are saying.....but you are passing on what I would consider one of the best fixed heads out there, if not THE best. I have been shooting the 125gr RamCats for several years, and the accuracy is second to none out of my Micro, and the terminal performance is off the charts. Massive holes and very very good penetration due to the ferrule design. I used to shoot Muzzy's (and SlickTrick, and Sonic, and Thunderhead, and NAP Nitro, and Magnus, and on and on) and to be straight with you, Muzzy's are junk. If you want to stay with Made IN The USA, then there are several other much better choices, such as Slick Trick, or Magnus. But the RamCat is hard to beat for accuracy and penetration. QAD Exodus is another good head, but I'm not sure where they are made either.

Good Luck
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Ramcat 125 grain from my early model M380 are accurate and deadly ..Best fixed blade I have shot yet for high speed crossbow
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Farmer wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:44 am
Ramcat 125 grain from my early model M380 are accurate and deadly ..Best fixed blade I have shot yet for high speed crossbow
I can't agree more. It's the only BH I shot a bisn that got a complete passthrough...and at 30yds from my Micro.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I may have to look at them again. As Muzzy is owned by Feradyne outdoors which also have rage and others I have noticed that the Muzzy's that are coming out now show a little rage in them not a fan of rage . The reason I am looking for something different is because no matter what I do I can not get the muzzy trocar to hit in the same place twice not consist . Had no problem with the older crosskill which was the first broadhead I believe for just crossbows they flew great took a lot of game with them but when it was sold they were not made any more .
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Give them a try .make your own decision if you want accuracy in a fixed blade they are hard to beat.
Watch out a ton of copy cats out there on the web ...make sure that your getting the real ramcat. I'm over the china thing this year l went against my American patriotism and used the dead ringer super freak. Also made in China and really liked them . Everything is made in china anyway.l just hate it when they try to hide it on the package
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:29 am
hunter with MS wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:00 am
QAD Exodus is another good head, but I'm not sure where they are made either.
propaganda from their website:
Exodus broadheads are 100% designed and manufactured in the good ol’ USA. The revolutionary compact head gives it the strength to bust through the toughest bones. By matching the length of a field point, the Exodus acheives accuracy never before experienced from a fixed blade. With razor-sharp, durable blades and a steep cutting angle, the Exodus tops the broadhead market in penetration. With heavy duty SST material, you never have to worry about the blades holding up as they bust through and knock down the biggest animal you dare to challenge

i switched to qad's this year but deer didn't cooperate so i can't give a review on performance
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I haven't tied a ramcat but I did try a rage. I got some 125 for a good deal. I keep hearing bad things about rage but the only deer I have shot with one so far a nice 8 point in Michigan went about 60 yards and I have never see such a blood trail Plus it started about 15 yards past where I shot him. He was 30 yards and hit both lungs. I have shot several deer with thunderheads and never had this much blood plus it never seems to start for 30 yards or so. I like them so far.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

The last several deer I shot with RamCats had blood that started right at the point of impact. Like 4 or 5 good drops right there and it just increased from there. If you look up some videos, they show a lot of African game....but still deer type critters.....and on many in the slow-mo you can see a huge spurt of blood as the arrow exits. I think this has to do with the scooped out ferrule design.

Also, on the last bison, there was blood all over the place. The outfitter was truly dumbfounded. You generally don't see much blood from a bison because of the thick hide and fur.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I am shooting 100 grain broadhead now off the G340 using a Black Eagle zombie slayer with 80 grain insert for total wt. of 389 grains . Should I stay with the 100 grain or switch to 125 ?
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

It's all personal preference. I like to do things that increase penetration. So I use a very stiff arrow (Zombie's), have a high FOC, use a fixed BH, and keep the arrow weight over 400gr for deer/bear, closer to 500gr for pigs. My deer recipe on my Micro is:

16" Zombie Slayer
110gr brass insert
125gr BH
Trueflight 2" feathers
Lumenok
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Ramcats are $17 a pack at Walmart on clearance right now.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline