#1 RULE OF CROSSBOW SAFETY with pics

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

elkaholic

#1 RULE OF CROSSBOW SAFETY with pics

Post by elkaholic »

Our crossbow javelina season came to an abrupt end !

A close friend and hunting partner in camp decided to uncock his 10 point bow --- need i say more

After 10 pm . raining - a loud voice is heard - Guys I fd Up - I fd up real BAD - hey guys I need HElP NOW ! --need I say more

after 20 minutes of looking around in the dark- 1/2 a thumb was found- packed in ice and a rather fast 40 mile drive to nearest hospital -- need i say more

why he decided to uncock at this time isnt known for sure- after a 10 hr day - tired - fighting off a cold etc. - need i say more

best we can figure - just picked up bow loaded a bolt and fired into a target 15 ft away without really aiming.

at this point - we are just praying the attachment is a success -

crossbow safety is a must either while practicing - hunting or especially decocking a bow-- its easy to be distracted where bad even deadly things can happen quickly.

Never a good thing to learn a lesson the hard way.
Last edited by elkaholic on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelie

Re: #1 RULE OF CROSSBOW SAFETY

Post by wheelie »

Wish your friend the best. Not Nice.

I never hang my cocking rope around my neck since the time a hook dropped over the string. Never knew blood could squirt out eight feet from your body just like a steady stream like a squirt gun.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Hope he's fine, that's a lesson nobody wants to experience.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Hope your friend gets well soon.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Hope it all heals well
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Wow! Good luck to him.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I certainly hate to hear he lost half his thumb, thats real bad n i spect very painful. Hope they can attach it back n he will regain use of it
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
chilly_willy

Post by chilly_willy »

Hope everything goes well.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Yep. Only do that once. Hope he heals up okay. I did the same thing about maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Mine basically recovered but does not have full feeling. Pinch strength is 100% but torsional strength (ability to take lids off of jars) is maybe only 30 or 40% of what it used be.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
SEW

Post by SEW »

This is an inherently dangerous aspect of crossbows. Being able to decock an Excalibut is such a plus. In time, hopefully all crossbows will catch up. Kudos to Excalibur.
I hope your friend has a good outcome.
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

I dont mean to pry...but did your friend get his thumb in the way of the string when he fired?

A friend of mine had a few close calls letting down the limbs in his excal when the hook on one side of the de-cocker didnt get all the way around the string..then it flew back into his face when he pulled the trigger....due to this I always thought it was safer to just fire a bolt then let down your bow with a stinging aid...
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Not to sound critical. About the only way you are going to get 1/2 your thumb detached . Is by the string.

Yes his thumb was sticking above the rail when he pulled the trigger to decock the bow by firing a bolt.

He knows better and realized it was a careless stupid mistake. He did not have the bow gripped properly to avoid this tragic accident.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

The "Triangle of Pain" is no joke. I've seen a few pictures posted on this forum that I've shared with my family and anyone that I allow to shoot one of my crossbows. A graphic picture of the potential does wonders to reinforce the importance.

I hope your friend recovers full feeling and function. We've all had those days when we're spent and are just running on auto-pilot until we can get some rest. Hopefully his brief lapse doesn't have lasting impacts.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

He can turn this into a learning experience for others. Can you get some pics? The grosser the better. Like others said, I hope he fully heals and isn't soured on crossbows. Wish him the best for us.
Hank
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

did that with a darton years back no damage out side of hurting like hel. last year I had c2 get away on bd400 ripped finger nails off thumb and middle finger that pain can not be described. c2 went in trash can bought the charger.all ways wonder if the strings going to break and remove the eye. hope the best for you hunting buddy :thumbup: