Followed me home... Pro-Shot ACP trigger

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: Followed me home... Pro-Shot ACP trigger

Post by janesy »

OhioXBowhunter wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:01 pm
Thanks if you can let us know how it works in both stages, kinda curious been eyeing the 440 but no one around here has any of the new models in stock, good thing I guess I’m kinda an impulse buyer when it comes to bows and guns and have no control.
I have fired the 360TD, 440 in both single and two stage now multiple times each. The single stage is a clean and clear break.

The only way I can describe it, as a trigger is like scope glass, everyone feels something different... The single stage breaks as cleanly as the TT. But it feels softer, it's like it hits the wall, and then instantly rolls over it. They are both instantaneous, but the take up (in 2 stage) and the follow through have a "feeling" where the TT feels no tension .

It not possible for me to say, sell your TT for this trigger. That doesn't make sense, the TT is awesome. Unless you have a bow to move the TT into. But I'd say it a solid bet that this trigger should be considered over the TT if buying new now.
The only way for me to relay the feel of it is to say that this is THE trigger excals should come with. It's near perfect. I feel for me, the 2 stage for hunting allows for the shooter to be prepared, but also allows for the extra milisecond to consider the shot. But I also prefer my 2 over my single TT as well.

It's going to turn into a Jewell vs Tinney conversation soon. They both work perfectly, just not as perfectly as the one you prefer.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Some follow up shooting. I compared the 2-stage ACP directly to the 2-stage TT tonight. Not a dead even comparison, as I'll describe both setups below. Tomorrow I will swap a GEN2 riser on the 370 and have an apples to apples comparison. But the Pitbull got the best of my back tonight, so no more cocking micros for this fella tonight .

Bow 1) Micro 370 with ACP in 2 stage.
Bow 2) Micro 345 with TT 2 stage

Due to the massive difference in pressure on the 370, I expect the trigger to feel heavier, and it did for sure.

1) ACP trigger from onset felt EVEN right through to the take up to a distinct wall, add pressure and snap. Through the take up you weren't looking for the wall, there is no sign it's coming. I wish there was more to tell, but it's just smooth, even, and works extremely well.

2) 2 stage TT. I'll start by saying this surprised me enough that I shot it many many times to be sure I was feeling what I was feeling. With the TT the take-up built subtle pressure until the wall. Here is the difference.. just before the wall, the pressure built up more. Then the wall came. Add pressure, and snap.
Now, here's the thing. I've never noticed that before. But it's there. Up until putting it beside the ACP, you couldn't tell there was a slight build up before the wall. This is not to down play the TT, it's a great trigger. Yymv, but somehow Excal figure out to take the string pressure out of the equation.

In the interest of full disclosure, the 2 stage TT in the 345, was a nicer combo to shoot tonight. But that's more to do with the entire setup than the trigger alone. It's just a perfectly balanced setup. The TT will stay in this bow.
Tomorrow, when I swap a GEN2 riser on the 370, they will both be 345's and I'll have a clear back to back to play with.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
drywallerdave1

Post by drywallerdave1 »

I wonder if this new trigger installed in a bulldog 400 wi. Single stage would reduce some of the takeup in the pull. My bulldog 400 seems like I pull forever before I finally engage the trigger to shoot.
janesy

Post by janesy »

drywallerdave1 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:10 am
I wonder if this new trigger installed in a bulldog 400 wi. Single stage would reduce some of the takeup in the pull. My bulldog 400 seems like I pull forever before I finally engage the trigger to shoot.
There will be zero creep. The trigger will feel solid when you rest your finger on it, as soon as you start to pull you'll feel the wall and a break. Next to zero movement required. That's how the 440 was set up the other night.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Awesome feed back Chris. So is there more surface area where the string contacts the claws or are the claws shaped differently then previous to help prevent rapid serving separation due to high draw weight and steep angle ?
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

Bcxbow wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:27 am
Awesome feed back Chris. So is there more surface area where the string contacts the claws or are the claws shaped differently then previous to help prevent rapid serving separation due to high draw weight and steep angle ?
Tough to say. I would say they are ever so slightly wider than stock, maybe I'll measure tonight. But the marks on my serving are even, whish is a good sign. I don't think I have 20 shots on this serving yet, but all with the ACP. So far I'm inline with wear, which is not really good for me, but probably fine for most other bows.
Most of my separation comes from sitting cocked in the stand. I have not made over 50 shots on any string yet with this bow. But I guess if you wanna go fast you gotta burn some rubber.

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

janesy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:43 am
Bcxbow wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:27 am
Tough to say. I would say they are ever so slightly wider than stock, maybe I'll measure tonight. But the marks on my serving are even, whish is a good sign. I don't think I have 20 shots on this serving yet, but all with the ACP. So far I'm inline with wear, which is not really good for me, but probably fine for most other bows.
Most of my separation comes from sitting cocked in the stand. I have not made over 50 shots on any string yet with this bow. But I guess if you wanna go fast you gotta burn some rubber.

Yeah separation caused by sitting cocked for extended time is my main concern as well. When mine arrives and installed in the bd400 I plan on letting it set cocked overnight to get a gauge of how it will be. If I try that with a TT I see the string thru the gaps in the serving (BD400 only)
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

this is a great review I will be butting my bd400 together and most likely the new trigger.. tt was not nice to my servings
so I used the stock trigger which did good.i figure with the new linkage and moly grease it should be a sweet set up.. my
gen 1 micro 343 has a different tt in it with no serving issues and is a nice shooting bow :thumbup:
janesy

Post by janesy »

otisbrazwell wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:11 pm
this is a great review I will be butting my bd400 together and most likely the new trigger.. tt was not nice to my servings
so I used the stock trigger which did good.i figure with the new linkage and moly grease it should be a sweet set up.. my
gen 1 micro 343 has a different tt in it with no serving issues and is a nice shooting bow :thumbup:
You will appreciate the ACP I'm sure. I do
Out of curiousity, did you try swapping TT's to see if it made a difference on the 400 serving?
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

no to me it looks like tt has alittle more claw hanging down compared to factory trigger. seams on a heavy pound bow
letting claw off string in a shorter time saves string .BUT now I am hearing sitting cocked while hunting mite be the culprit .
(not all strings fail)
RobD

Post by RobD »

Watching this post for updates. I just bought a BD400 to see how I like it (no local stores have Bullpup bows I could shoulder). While I was going to put my extra TT into it if I kept it, I think I'm going to wait and maybe do the ACP trigger. I didn't read anywhere in the forum where the BD400 eats strings for breakfast. :( That would have been good info to know ahead of time.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

RobD wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:59 pm
Watching this post for updates. I just bought a BD400 to see how I like it (no local stores have Bullpup bows I could shoulder). While I was going to put my extra TT into it if I kept it, I think I'm going to wait and maybe do the ACP trigger. I didn't read anywhere in the forum where the BD400 eats strings for breakfast. :( That would have been good info to know ahead of time.
The only problem is with a TT on the 400. The shape of the claws just isn’t a good match with that much weight and angle. I have much better results with the factory trigger.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

Tonight I swapped a Gen2 riser onto the bow. So both bows tonight were exactly the same. Rail length, riser, arrow, string type.

The results were interesting, but not. As the 345 bow from last night did not change, I won't comment.

Bow 1 from last night now in 345 configuration was equipt with the ACP. Still in 2 stage.
The break between the two bows was both smooth and abrupt. However the TT did still offer a slight tell tale that it was about to go
The ACP again was smooth from the second pressure was applied to the break. Full surprise each time. Literally, the nicest trigger/bow setup I have shot on a bow to date.

However, I'd be doing a disservice to suggest the TT was not great as well. Here's the thing, after playing with these bows back to back each night this weekend. I have come to be able to identify the triggers by feel alone. I'd have shot them with my eyes closed if my wife's Maytag wasn't near enough to the target to get me kicked out. BUT I have to be honest, I doubt a shooter would notice if they just picked up and started shooting both bows. Not to say that one isn't better than the other, but they are both great. And since TT 2 stage is long gone, this comparison is essentially for your reading and my shooting pleasure. Oddly enough, it didn't occur to me to try my single stage TT against it until now. But it's been modified and would not be fair. So I'll let someone else play that game(I'm looking at you Billy :wave: )

What I have concluded here, first and Foremost, Excal has hit this one out of the park. And I can say with certainty it elevates the shooting experience far beyond the factory offering. With the marketing, packaging and straight up fact that 99% of gear buyers buy branded items, it's clear to me that this will be a problem for TT, and that saddens me, as TT is a great Canadian company. However, There just simply isn't a need to go aftermarket now.
I cannot say it's a great idea to ditch your TT for the ACP, it wouldn't make financial sense.(Wait what did I just say? I just did that :eusa-doh: ) but if you appreciate a good trigger, the answer is here. If your buying a bow that offers this trigger in a package, it's a no brainer. Don't leave it on the table.

With all of this said, and as I mentioned first off, I'm looking for a trigger with factory style latches to extend serving life over the life I was getting from my TT. I cannot answer that yet, but time will tell.

What I do know... the Pitbull got its GEN1 riser back and will be equipt with the ACP in 2 stage. The 345 with get to keep the TT. Although the temptation to get another ACP for it and move the TT to the 310 will be hard to resist. I'm weak... Carry On Canada!
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

I can do that.........as soon as the acp gets here. :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
RobD

Post by RobD »

Hey Jansey - it has been 3 weeks now, any new observations on the ACP trigger?
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!